What's your Opinion of the Sig P226 9mm?

AustinTX

Wait, what? U481XXX means the gun was very likely made in 1993.

Unfired 18-year-old German Sig P226 for $600? BUY IT!! Or PLEASE send me your neighbor's contact info!

Last edited:

Uncle Malice

Serial number on the German-made Sig P226 is U4813XX. Original box with the Factory test firing certification paper, owner's manual, etc. My neighbor, whom I have know for 30 years, said he thought he bought it about 15 years ago and has never put a round in the chamber.

Can anyone confirm the year made from the Serial Number U4813XX?

there is a date code on the bottom of the slide towards the front - directly under the barrel. It will be 2 letters, like KA or something.. that will tell yo uthe year of manufacture... Regardless, an unfired, W German P226 is worth a pretty penny... get him the money this instant. I paid almost $800 for mine.

25535_383778957532_554172532_4779396_3157700_n.jpg

Here is the date code:

25535_383779282532_554172532_4779402_1849503_n.jpg

AustinTX

Like Uncle Malice said, check the date code to be sure. But I'm thinking 1993 with that serial number.

KA = 1990
KB = 1991
KC = 1992
KD = 1993
KE = 1994

geetarman

Something is not right with this story.

Send me the information and let me get to the bottom of it.

Trust me, I will get back to you.

Geetarman;)

BigJimP

There are a lot of different models of the 226 ...but the deal still sounds really good. But prices new on the 226 are anywhere from $ 800 - $1,200 depending on which version of the 226 you're talking about ....

All of the Sigs ...US and German made models - in 9mm are very good guns / maybe by far the best of the DA/SA guns on the market, in my view.

In 9mm and .40S&W - I have a pair of 226's ( all stainless ) --- and a pair of the standard model 239's ...and all of them have run flawlessly ...are well built ...and are very accurate. I will not hesitate to recommend the Sig 226 - although I don't care for the DAK version much...

sigarms228

From what you describe I would definitely buy it. Really nice condition German proofed SIGs of that vintage are getting harder to find. If you don't want to buy it then let us know so we can fight for it.

WVsig

I love the P226. It is a solid 9mm combat handgun. $600 is a fair price. It is not super steal IMHO but it is a good price. There are a lot of LNIB or NIB W. German Sigs for $500 to $600 on the market.

hagar

I bought mine in 1993, my serial # is U50065X. Same box as yours. Mine is almost unfired, have maybe 2 magazines throught it. Not because it is not a great shooter, but I wanted to keep it mint. I also have a 228 and a 229 I bought in 1994.

BarkeyVA

WVSig,

Can you site sources of similar NIB Sig 226's with date code KD (1993) for under $600? The ones on Gunbroker are listed at $800 or more.

WVsig

Not off the top of my head but if you are patient a know where to look they pop up in lnib condition pretty often. Like I said $600 is a good price I just personal do not consider it the screaming deal it hers are saying it is. That said if I did not have P226 and wanted one and was presented with this opportunity I would buy it.

Willie Lowman

$600 is a good price. I paid $600 + tax for a law enforcement trade in a few years ago. I have had zero problems with the gun. I had the factory sights replaced with some AmeriGlow sights and I don't like them as well. I will probably go back to the factory sights eventually.

That said, I don't like the Sig as well as my Glocks. The 226's grip is huge for a double stacked 9mm.

WVsig

The 226's grip is huge for a double stacked 9mm.

I agree that it is wider than it needs to be which is confirmed by the existence of the new slimmer E2 grip but it is not that large compared to other service sized 9mm like the 92FS & CZ75B etc....

Chilli9880

Just adding my 2 cents. I have a 226 in 9mm. I bought it used but the gun was in pristine condition. I paid $520 out the door for mine and came with 2 mags. I absolutely love this gun. It's the first pistol I ever bought for myself. I haven't had to contact Sig Customer Service for anything so can't comment on that. Great gun and you'll love it.

sigarms228

I looked for almost 2 years before finding mine at a reasonable price.

$600 would be especially sweet from someone where you did not have to pay shipping, sales tax, and/or FFL fees. Not to mention being able to personally examine it to make sure it meets one's expectations before parting with your hard earned cash.

The P226 is one of the finest 9mm service pistols ever made. $600 is a pretty good deal on an unfired one, assuming the magazines aren't 10-rounders.

AustinTX

$600 would be especially sweet from someone where you did not have to pay shipping, sales tax, and/or FFL fees. Not to mention being able to personally examine it to make sure it meets one's expectations before parting with your hard earned cash.

Exactly. That price with no added tax, shipping, or transfer fees, along with the buyer being able to thoroughly examine the gun and the other contents before buying, adds up to a pretty righteous deal in my book.

sigarms228

Anyone else try the SIG aluminum grips on their P226??

At first the thought did not appeal to be but earlier in the year SIG had a blowout sale on them for $65 so I tried them and just love the way my Exter P226 feels with them. Definitely a bit slimmer and grippier but not too much so. I wish I would have bought some for my P229 also.

P226target0322.jpg

BarkeyVA

Thanks to everyone for your comments.

I bought the gun yesterday for $600. I double checked date code, and it is indeed KD (1993). I broke the gun down while sitting at my neighbor's kitchen table, and it is pristine. I'm confident it has never been fired. I've known him for over 30 years and did not want to insult him by trying to "negotiate" a lower price.

The gun and box look exactly the same as the one in the photos that Uncle Malice posted.

Since this is the first semi-auto I've owned, what gun oil/grease do you and others recommend for lubricating the slide and other moving parts?