What's your Opinion of the Sig P226 9mm?

BarkeyVA

My neighbor has a NIB Sig P226 9mm with two magazines that he wants to sell for $600. He bought it several years ago but never shot it.

What do you think? Is this a gun worth considering at that price or not?

Are you aware of any issues with that model?

jmr40

Good guns. My favorite traditional DA/SA aluminum framed guns. In the condition you describe that sounds like a fair price.

Single Six

Never tried the P226, but have had MAJOR issues with it's big brother, the P220. I am aware that I'm in the minority on this, but if you'd experienced what I did with Sigs [twice, with 2 different guns], you'd steer clear of them as well. Bottom line: I wouldn't own a Sig anything even if they were giving them away.

sigcurious

I like my 226 quite a lot. I suggest going to a range and trying one out see if you like its fit to your hand etc while actually operating it versus just holding it. If you do $600 is a good price for an unfired 226.

AustinTX

I'm personally not a fan of the stuff coming out of Exeter these days, but that's an awfully nice price for an unfired P226. If that were an Exeter Sig from the 1990s or early 2000s, I wouldn't hesitate for a second. Even if it's a more recent Sig, I would probably still buy it if it looked like I could make anything off of flipping it.

sigarms228

I have tried just about every 9MM pistol out there and the SIG P226, P228, and P229 are my favorites and I own each. Extremely accurate, reliable, and IMO great looking. There is a good reason that the likes of Navy SEALs and the Secret Service use such SIGs.

To me they are well worth the money and there are plenty of nice used SIGs and CPOs available for quite a bit less than a new one.

The ONLY other brand pistol that holds my interest is the Walther P99/PPQ/PPS.

Try to rent a P226/P228/P229 and see for yourself.

If the one for sale really is NIB I would grab it!!

The only issue I am aware with the P226 is some users of the X-5 versions ($1400 +) with internal extractors sometimes have problems with the extractor. That would not be the case for the regular line of P226 pistols.

PoliceLink ratings of the P226:
http://policelink.monster.com/products/products/257-sig-sauer-p226

I took one of my P226s to me with the range a couple weeks ago for some fun.

P226g1.jpg

Last edited:

TunnelRat

While I will say SIG customer service leaves something to be desired at times, when they are at the top of their game a good SIG is God-like.

While I personally would rather buy a German made SIG, $600 is a heck of a price. Even if you bought it and didn't like it you should be able to make all of that money back and even a little more (even if you traded it at a gun store). I would see it as a good experiment. You're not really going to lose.

bamaranger

good pistols

My agency has had various SIG models as duty guns for a number of years, as well as other fed agencies, the P226 among them. The whole family has been reliable, durable and spooky accurate. Almost all of those guns that I have had exposure to have been conventional DA/SA, decocker pistols.

chuckles

P-226-9 is a about as good as it gets for a full size 9MM. At the price you were offered, it's a steal. You will be glad you bought it and you will be gloating over your unbelievable fortune on getting yours at a great price. JMHO.

geetarman

I have the 226 in .40. Very reliable. I prefer the 229 and the 220 because of the smaller size. The 226 just seems too big for me.

I have had to deal with customer service at Sig once and it was with the 220. Problem was fixed with no issue and the gun runs fine today.

I have had very positive interaction with Sig and would not hesitate to buy them again.

If I had the chance to buy the fun you describe at the price you posted, it would be in my safe now.

Geetarman:D

great gun. i have 2. in that condition, or even if he put a few hundred rounds through it, that is a very reasonable price. i would definitely buy it if i were you (even tho it would be my 3rd)

Uncle Malice

One of the best guns on the planet, in my opinion.

New in box, that's a very respectable price. If you don't want it, send me his info. :)

Sgt Pepper

It might be a mistake to pass up a NIB P226 for $600. Generally, there are no issues with any of the alloy P-series Sigs. They are accurate as hell and extremely reliable. The only downside of the P226 for me is that it does not really fit my hand very well.

Mrgunsngear

I've fired plenty of 226s at work and they're solid guns. I wouldn't pay the money they charge for it but for $600 new I'd jump all over it.

I've dealt with Sigs customer service and I was not impressed but it's a solid gun and I doubt you'll have to use it.

Skadoosh

Pre-rail Exeter CPO 9mm Sig P226

One of the best guns on the planet, in my opinion.

Concur.

My 226 is my go-to gun.

It is the my all time favorite bottom feeder. Very well built and, in my eyes, exactly what a pistol should look like. Performs as good as it looks. After 3K+ rounds, it has been 100% reliable...and is freakishly accurate. I like it better than my semi-custom Colt Combat Commander.

And because it was a CPO, it only cost me $450 OTD. Whats not love?

I would buy it as well. Great pistols. I have 2 W. German P226s. I don't remember the last time one of them wasn't in the range bag. Clean them and put a little slide glide lite grease on the rails and the outside of the barrel. Remember to bring plenty of ammo. They are great to shoot.

Patriot86

New P226 UNFIRED for $600.00 is a great deal, I see them used with a good bit of wear around here for $450.00 so $600.00 sounds fair. I would inspect the gun though to make sure this isin't a lemon someone is looking to pawn off on someone.

BarkeyVA

Serial number on the German-made Sig P226 is U4813XX. Original box with the Factory test firing certification paper, owner's manual, etc. My neighbor, whom I have know for 30 years, said he thought he bought it about 15 years ago and has never put a round in the chamber.

Can anyone confirm the year made from the Serial Number U4813XX?