What's your next rifle?

chadio

Although I'd love an M1A..... (lots of money and ammo is difficult to find)

Lately, I'm all into the Enfield No.4 mk. 1. The history, the cartridge, the sights, the ammo availability (locally).... I'm digging it. Want :D

hammie

I'm surprised a the number of garand's here. A few .308's, too. Great choices, though.

@chadio: Yes. Everyone should have a short magazine lee-enfield. For me, the rifle always conjures up visions of british uniforms, india, and cricket (the game, not the insect). If you like the .303, a rifle also to look for is the pattern 14 enfield. The chambers on that rifle seem to be cut better.

Rogervzv

I just pulled the trigger on a CZ .22 WMR 512. The ten day wait began on Friday. California Democrat crud. But that is my next rifle. :cool:

joe45c

I'd like a featherweight model 70 in a .308. but mostly since I live in NY I just hope I can keep the ones I got!

Tad_T

I just put an M1903A3, Ser# 41547XX, on layaway.

I probably spent a little more than I should, but I haven't seen many "all correct" 03A3's since I decided to start looking for one. Most that I have found have been "molested."

It will take most all of my spending money until I get it out of layaway in May.

Military surplus rifles are interesting and fun to shoot. The history behind them is amazing... Learning to shoot and preserve rifles dating to the first and second world wars is a great hobby. Mosins, Garands, Mausers, Enfields, 1903s...

reynolds357

I have a 98Mauser sniper rifle that my grandfather's friend took off a sniper he killed in Germany. I dont know what it is about that rifle, but its odd holding it and knowing it killed several Allied Soldiers. Its totally different from anything in the safe simply because of what I know it has done in its lifetime.

Reynolds357, that is what makes surplus rifles intriguing.. These rifles are all connected to historical events that are yet to be documented and compiled. Identifying the place they were assembled, which troops most likely used them and the possible theatre of operations they were part of is very interesting. Conducting this type of research is very eye opening too. I plan to collect rifles used in WWII... That will keep me busy and entertained for a long time. There is a lot to read about these firearms and testing them at the range is a great excuse to spend fun time with my sons.

allaroundhunter

My next rifle? Hm...that's a good question.

I already have my precision gun (funds are being saved up for some good glass), several good hunting guns (.270 WSM, .243 Win., .30-30, .303 Brit), I an AR with an upper for competition and one for defense, and I have a couple .22 LR plinkers...

So that leaves me needing an M1 Garand :D

RC20

I have a Model of 1917 Eddystone on the way in with a JA barrel (my first JA barrel so thats going to be a twist if you will or won't pardon the pun)

After that, it will be another 1917 0f one variety or the other.

The old guns are fun to shoot. And amazing you can shoot groups with them that the newest and best stuff is hard put to match. Last outing the 1917 had 6 shots at 1 1/4 at 100 yds (yep, I had one really wild flyer out of a cold barrel and the next go around will touch off a couple of surplus rounds to heat up the barrel). Not to many sporting guns can hang onto more than a 3 shot group (nor do they need to or should they, but.....)

The new guns may be lighter and synthetic and...... but there sure is nothing like lighting off a 1903 or a 1917 (my shoulder prefers the 1917s!)

One rifle I would like to own is the Swiss K31. I have read it is a tack driver. The fun part about firing old military rifles is testing one's marksmanship skills using iron sights. Nowadays, anyone is an ace using high tech scopes... But mastering the use of iron sights poses a true challenge.

tahoe2

mauser kind of guy

I would like to get my hands on a decent Argentine 1909 in 7.65x53 or a M38 Swede in 6.5x55 or a K31 in 7.5x55, or a .....:D

This discussion is reminding me of all the cool rifles I would like to collect. I also have a British Lee Enfield Mk4 No.2 - in mind. Many consider this rifle the best military bolt action rifle used in WWII. The M1 Garand is also on my short list of semi-automatic rifles- simply The Best. I must start thinking of a bigger safe... LOL

kraigwy

I finely got all my parts together (or will have when FedEx delivers the CMP stock tomorrow) for my M1903A4 Clone. (CMP GSM Legal).

So that's my next rifle.

My next rifle was going to be a 260 Rem on a Model 70, long range rifle but it turns out my donor rifle was too good to screw with. It was a target Model 70 in 308 I got from the CMP Auction.

Turns out it was in perfect shape except for missing a bolt, (which I had) so I have another 308 target rifle and now I'm in search of a donor Model 70 action for my 260 build.

That should be my next rifle after I finish my 'A4 for the CMP Vintage Sniper matches.