Whats your best reload for the 270 Winchester

Pathfinder45

Some questions.....

What rifle do you have? How do you know you have a deep throat? What is the maximum length cartridge that will reliably feed a full magazine through your rifle?
In my observations, the profiles of your basic spitzer soft points from Sierra, Speer, and Nosler Partitions are all very similar, but Hornady Spirepoints are entirely different. With maximum magazine length loads using the first three, the bullets never touch the rifling in my 270. However the Hornady Spirepoints will cram into the rifling before I've reached the limits of the magazine. If you haven't tried Hornady bullets, you should give them a try before you go into more expensive options.

sig220mwxxxx

My current 270 rifle load

I have had several 270s over the years. I have one now and it is a Winchester model 70 featherweight grade III. I have used h4831 or h4831sc on all of them with 130 grain bullets either Nosler ballistic tips, accubonds or Hornady spires. I found using a magnum primer has tightened up the groups. My current rifle shoots this load well. 130 grain Nosler ballistic tip over 59.5 grains of h4831sc over a CCI 250 magnum large rifle primer. 1/2 inch at 100 yards. I have shot smaller groups with it when shooting more often though.

jimdeere

55 gr. of the old standby IMR 4831 behind 130 gr. Nosler ballistic tips.
Bullet seated to a depth to chamber in all 5 of my .270's.
I once shot a doe between the eyes at about 100 yds.
The Ballistic tip mushroomed perfectly and the base of the bullet protruded through the skin on the back of her head.
Luckiest shot I ever made.
I will say that Remington CoreLoks have always performed well for me, also.

trdjohn71

this thread has been around for sometime, but it's actually timely for me, I've been researching the past day or so about loads for a little used Weatherby 270 win I have in my closet

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

5whiskey

What the hey, I'll play in the zombie thread. My favorite load is exactly 52 grains of winchester 760 powder under a sierra gameking boat tail. All of this on top of a Winchester LR primer. I use federal brass (which I hate but I have hundreds of pieces of it). Load holds less than 1/2 moa in my rifle.I use to neck size, but now I FL resize exclusively, with properly set dies to maximize the fill of the headspace. I also trim with a Lee hand trimmer.

hooligan1

My how times have evolved, I no longer have the rifle that I first replied about in this thread.
I now have an 03a3 custom build in .270 winny, it loves three different bullets so far, 130 Btips, 140 Partitions, and the 150 grn ABLR.
With the Btip, I'm using a stout load of IMR 4451, the Partition seems to shoot nicely with N160, and the 150 grn ABLR, I use Magpro and CCI 250 primers.
Shot a coyote with the 150 ABLR at 30 ft, he didn't quiver just went straight down, ( through the shoulders).
I took a 90 lb doe at 80 yds, (through the ribs behind shoulder), and she ran 75 yds before coughing up some lung partitcles.
Both times the 150 ABLR passed through, leaving an exit about the size of a half dollar.
Rifle is currently under stock customization because the wrist was a tad fatter than I care for, I should have it done in a week or two.