Whats your best reload for the 270 Winchester

Ambishot

Re: Sure Shot Mc Gee

Your 130 gr. bullet load is quite similar to mine at 3000 ft per sec. But I have developed a new "secret" load at 3200 off the barrel crown that has shown outstanding down range results with a 130 gr. Nosler Ballistic-Tip. Maybe I'll share. Maybe I won't? But it's only fair "I should get someone else's secret load in return. Don't you all think?"

Nice, I'm glad that you're achieving great groups at that velocity!

Do to the platform I'm using, it's an heirloom Browning Safari Grade, I'm not exceeding the velocity recommendations in the sierra manual. If I ever get a newer .270, that will change. :)

FrankenMauser

.270 Win
140 gr Nosler Partition
New Win Brass
WLR Primer
3.280" OAL
55.0 gr RL-19 (This is a MAX load, in the Nosler manual. Work up from 51.0 gr.)
Consistently under 1" at 100 yards, in my rifle.

The group on top measures somewhere just over .400", and is a pretty standard performance for this load in my rifle. (100 yards)

attachment.php

okie24

Remington corelock 130 grain. 57.0 grains IMR 4831. Shoots under 1" and my gun dont like anything else

aushunter

Hornady once fired brass.
130gr Hornady SST.
Federal L/R 210 primer.
57gr AR2213sc(H4831sc)
OAL-2.750
Not sure of velocity but that was from my first test loads & good enough for me!
I've got some test loads of W760 made up but yet to fire so if they can better that I WILL be impressed!!

Attachments

• SST.JPG
    SST.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 297

hooligan1

Here's my load: 53 grns H4350, CCI 200 LR primer, Hornady Brass, 130 grn Accubond, COAL 2.856. this is a one hundred yd target.:)

Attachments

• the one! 006.jpg
    the one! 006.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 797
Whats your Best reload for the 270 Winchester.

aushunter said: that was from my first test loads & good enough for me!
You know your going to break a few guys hearts here with this grouping Aushunter. Thanks for the down under recipe and pix. Appreciate it. SSMcG

smokey 13

I have a savage 110 270

1rst load I use
Sierra boattail 130 over 60 gr of rl22 win lr primer fed casings
This load shoots sub moa @ 100 yards

2nd load
Nosler ballistic silver tip 130 gr over 47 gr of imr 4320 cci 200 primer fed casings
This load shoots 3/4 inch groups @ 200 yards.
On a bad day this load will shoot 1 inch groups @ 200 yards

crowbeaner

I have 2 loads that I use in the 270:
WW brass, WW or CCI LR primer
130 Hornady Interlock or SST 52.0 of H414/WW760
150 Hornady Interlock or SST 48.0 of H414/WW760
Both loads will shamrock 4 shots out of a good rifle and kill anything they hit with one shot placed in the boiler room of a deer, bear or hog. They don't tear up much eating meat either.

Mike / Tx

Hard to say, I guess I am one of the lucky ones who got a gem off the shelf. It's a Rem 700 BDL and it has digested everything I have put through it with stellar accuracy.

That said my two favorite loads are not anywhere near the norm,however they will both shoot 3/4" out to 200yds.

The first is the Nosler 130gr Solid Base or Ballistic Tip, loaded over 46.5grs of IMR-3031, in WIn cases using Win-WLR primers. Not hardly breaking 2800fps across the chrony, it has dump countless deer and hogs on their noses, and is mild enough that my mom used it until she quite hunting at 70.

The other uses same brass and primers along with the Horandy 150gr RNSP loaded over 50grs of IMR-4350. Another thumper load which has been used to drop plenty of hogs on the spot. Again, nothing fancy or barn burning, but VERY effective and easy on the shoulder and ears. It will also, like the 160gr RN loads from a 6.5x55, reach out and do things way beyond your initial conception of how things should be. Must be something about those long slim bullets....

I now have a load using the 130gr SST loaded over some Ramshot Hunter which is bumping the 3000fps range quite easily. It is sighted in to the mil dots on the Burris scope and will hit within an inch out to 600yds of where I set the proper dot. IT is a pretty decent performer on the hogs at the longer ranges I loaded it for, but I haven't used them on deer yet. From what I have seen with the hogs it might be a touch to much.

RC20

The other uses same brass and primers along with the Horandy 150gr RNSP loaded over 50grs of IMR-4350. Another thumper load which has been used to drop plenty of hogs on the spot. Again, nothing fancy or barn burning, but VERY effective and easy on the shoulder and ears. It will also, like the 160gr RN loads from a 6.5x55, reach out and do things way beyond your initial conception of how things should be. Must be something about those long slim bullets....

Other than the bullet that's what I have been working around.

I will say that finding out where the ogive of a specific bullet meets the rifling is the single most important improvement you can make (far exceeds primers and brass and other magic) as well as neck size vs full size (there is a contention the neck size works one part of the brass and weakens it and I am not a adherent to that but its subject to a lot of opinions and I will not say its wrong though some highly respected people do)

We have a Sako that simply does not like factory ammo, but with a custom COAL (I won't publish that as its unique to each and copy cat can cause severe damage) it shot a sub MOA.

That is with a Speer 150 flat base spitzer. Good hunting round, not necessarily a range tack driver. Not much for tack drivers for hunting. 1.5 MOA is more than good enough for hunting, a bit sub MOA is wonderful confidence wise but real world game shooting is never that.

Non hunting bench rest is fun to see what you can do and I will. Then you can play with the COAL gauge a bit more even and fine tune a round.

As for Sure Shot Mc Gee:

That said, I don't care what the age of the gun, running into the 3200 fps with a 270 is downright dangerous.

Not even the old books did that, 130 gr or not.

Also while IMR 4350 is a great powder its not one that shoots the fastest (highest pressure) safe loads in the books (RL22, N160, H4831sc, W760 would be the ones that move a bullet fastest at safe pressures).

That is also guaranteed to shoot out a good barrel in short order.

And the statement "a not a iota more or less is disingenuous". It may shoot well exactly there in YOUR rifle, but not come close in another.

The brass may or may not mater depending on the gun. Federal is good brass, so is Nossler, Lapua and RP. Winchester brass currently had taken a turn for the worst, but the older brass is good.

There is no magic formula. There are good combination that seem to work across the spectrum for a given caliber so are good to start with. IMR-4350 is definitely one of those for the 270 (and 30-06). It may or may not be the perfect one, but it is very likely to get you a good load and that may be good enough.

IMR-4350 shoots clean, unlike W760 so I am not fond of W760. Have not played with the other newer ones (W760 is an older one but did not shoot it back then so do not know if its worse now).

There is no such thing as minimum length tolerance. There is a Case Trim Length specification and for the 270 that is 2.530. Often new brass exceeds it, occasionally it comes in less (that's a manufacture out of tolerance not a specification)

And Hooligan 1 shares this with us: Note that his COAL is wrong, its barely longer than max case lngh (.3XX). Someone should have called him on that. It says something about the authors when they did not. As near as I can tell (Nossler book is deficient in it does not list COAL for at least a bullet size like others it should be around 3.340 specification for Max COAL.

Here's my load: 53 grns H4350, CCI 200 LR primer, Hornady Brass, 130 grn Accubond, COAL 2.856. this is a one hundred yd target.

You indeed are on dangerous ground when you start using information that is not in a book (or develop your loads based on the book).

This forum is a good source of general ideas and direction, but ALWAYS check your book for data (and better yet more than one book, there are some rare errors in those some times). All the fun and money saved goes right out the window when the gun blows up, so check my facts as well.

If using old powders use old books, the new powders under same name change.

SFW

Nosler 130 grain BT/BT with 46.0 grains of Varget using CCI 200 primers. I've taken two deer with it. Both deer dropped where they stood with heart/lung shots.

Striker1

Rifle: CZ550 Premium

130 gr Sierra Gameking
Winchester Brass and Primers
H4831SC powder

Special handling:

Uniform flash holes
Lee Factory Crimp Die

Last edited:

bakercity

I am just preparing to "first time load" for a .270. components are very hard to find in this area of the country. You load what you can find. With that said, I will be trying the following:
Winchester brass
Remington primers
Sierra bullets (150 gr. game king)
Powder H 4831 SC
Rifle: Winchester model 70, stainless, BOSS, 24 inch barrel, composite stock with snabble.
This is a new-unfired rifle but is older as I am quite sure this is no longer manufactured.

Pathfinder45

Bakercity?

As in Baker City, OR? Welcome to TFL. I have never used Remington primers. I like CCI, Federal, and Winchester primers in that order I suppose. As you mentioned, though, you use what you can get. Interestingly, Hodgdon has changed their maximum load for H-4831 with 150 grain bullets since 1998. My model 70 prefers the hotter 1998 data right at maximum. If you have a chronograph available you can explore working up to the maximum loads more safely. My rifle prefers Norma N205 powder, a powder that was replaced decades ago. Accuracy is more important than top velocity....though the 270 has a reputation of delivering top accuracy with maximum loads. If you must run right up to the upper limits I think it's less risky with slow burning, single-base stick powders like H-4831 or IMR-7828. I don't think you can cram enough of either of those into the case to blow yourself up as the max charges with 150 grain bullets will likely be compressed charges. Still, go by the book and be safe. Ball powders are convenient and measure fast but aren't the best for red-line loads. I recommend trimming your cases after every firing unless you are using re-sized 30-'06 cases. Have fun and be safe.

mnoirot64

Clark said:
130 gr Nosler Balistic tip.

Practice at long range.

Range the animal.

Aim for the lungs.

Tag the animal.

Leave a gut pile.

Drag out the animal. [oi, does it help to have friends]

Take the animal to the butcher.

Get your wife to cook that meat once a week so you can do it again next year.

Amen! That's what it's all about!

hooligan1

Rc, dont freak out, my coal is such because after i attach my comparator to my caliper I zeroe it... Theres no need to call me out...
but thank you for caring....

ForneyRider

130gr BTHP of your choice, CCI 250, Win or R-P brass (fully prepped), 58gr R22. SAMMI max length, has been very, very accurate out of a variety of rifles.

ekp

This is an older post but I have a question on this topic. My 270 was built in 1947 and has a deep throat. Winchester PP bullets shoot the best with my reloads. I have not been able to get any for well over a year. Does anyone know why? Does anyone have a source?