what's with gun show prices?

I have only had one dealer tell me their pricing policies.

Once a dealer didn't even want to explain his consignment policies to me. Jaw dropper.

At gun shows wheeling and dealing is part of it, so they do have to sort of start high.

I was really hoping, perhaps foolishly, to hear from dealers with an explanation of their pricing policies.
Dealers at gun shows will have different strategies and circumstances than brick-and-mortar dealers, mostly because gun show dealers won't be there to support the product or to take the heat for questionable pricing.

That's not to throw all, or even most, of those folks under the bus. Free market and all. Still, a guy with a fixed storefront has to think (and act) in the long term, and his reputation matters to him.

Joe Bob selling Glock mags for $70 before THE BAN is just out to make a quick buck, and he doesn't have to worry such things.

9mmsnoopy

Here in Houston the gun show prices are still better than the store prices in most cases, but i agree with the poster who said there may be an oversaturation of gun shows, there is a major show in Houston every weekend this month and i expect todays will be packed after the tragic events of friday morning.

FairWarning

The only reason I used to go to gun shows often was for the vast selection of rare/interesting guns. Now that you can find those items cheaper online and pay no taxes, the appeal of gun shows is much less than before.

thedudeabides

Gun shows are like ATM fees at strip clubs.

Once you have a jones for something they know they have you--and make you pay extra to get it.

PetahW

I have personally known five different New England gunshow dealers, for over the past 25 years (before then, I was unconsious), and they all differ in their pricing policies - just as do their personalities.

Each pricing policy, however, is based upon their "costs", beit simply the cost of ontaining whatever to resell, or including the costs of doing business to attend a show, like table rental, meals, fuel, lodging, etc.

One dealer just does shows, has never had a brick/mortar store, doesn't frequent the web, and usually has a 35% markup on firearms, 50% on direct firearm accessories, and 25% on shooting/hunting accessories.

Two dealers have both brick/mortar stores, and both have websites - and both sell firearms only, initially priced at a $100% markup.

The last two dealers also have brick/mortar stores, one sells only firearms, and both have a 75% markup on firearms.

I like gunshows, because I USE them - as a venue for selling selected firearms, usually to various gunshow FFL's, and sometimes to another private party (always careful to transfer any sale through an FFL), that I would otherwise find difficult to sell by other means.

I've always bought my guns inexpensively, and so have been always able to at least double or triple (sometimes more) my $$$, even by selling to a gunshow dealer, who must then get their "bite of the apple".

A gunshow isn't a panacea, though, since (like anything else) different firearms are popular/not in different markets/areas of the USA.

I only buy a firearm at a gunshow, when I spot, and/or can haggle for, a bargain ( I do DO my homework).

Last edited:

sserdlihc

Went to the gunshow in Greenville S.C. today looking for a few things, prices seemed high. In comparison to Academy sports. Which is now my only LGS and it is 30 miles away from me. Case and point, looked at a Walther PPQ 40 caliber at Academy and they wanted $549.99 plus tax. At the gunshow, they had them anywhere from $599 to $659. On a side note, I didn't see alot of people buying or filling out paper work for firearms. Maybe they were seeing the same things I was.

hivel37

Gun show prices are higher because dealers expect guys like you and I to beat them down on prices. Many sticker their stuff accordingly.