what's with gun show prices?

bustersmaster

I used to go to our local gun show as a vendor so I could sell off some left over inventory (most of it substantially below my cost, by the way) and had the wife hold down the booth when things were slow so I could do a little shopping of my own. Once I found a dealer selling reloaded .38 special a few dollars cheaper than Wallys sold new ammo for and I picked up a few boxes.
I had been back to my table just a few minutes when the ammo guy showed up and pushed a few dollars into my hand.
He explained that he had noticed my vendors badge and would have given me a discount, but didn't want to let his regular cash customers know that they were paying a little more.
I was surprised because I was happy with the price at the time and had the guy not refunded the difference, I still would have been happy.
I haven't found anyone selling reloads cheaper than Wallys since then, but I did appreciate that vendor's business model at the time.

Dan31

It isn't just the new guns that are over priced, I went last month and saw many examples of over priced used guns. There were High Standard Sport Kings in average condition selling for about $475 and used Smiths for what I see for a new version. I only buy ammo, we have the WAC shows twice a month either up north or down south and Wes Knodel shows way south. Entrance fees for non members I think is 10 bucks.

mitchntx

Used guns ...

Not sure how folks can justify paying MSRP for a gun that is used. Yet they do.

To be fair, it is very overwhelming to see the amazing variety of guns available. Weeding through the quality pieces vs the decent pieces vs the junk is quite daunting.

The learning curve is tremendous and quite steep.

I've certainly taken a bath a time or two on not understanding what the hell I was doing. But it's been a fun ride.

Not sure if my tastes are changing, becoming more discerning or a combination of both, but I have set my sights on quality over quantity and willing to pay for it.

I'm not talking match grade, pinnacle type armament, just decent, name brand reliable firearms that will last my and my kid's lifetimes.

Having said that ... I am thoroughly impressed with Smith & Wesson's commitment to warranty and repair of their products.

I have used that service three times in the last two years on weapons I purchased new and some I purchased used. Both times, the service was amazing.

So when I assess a gun's value, new or used, that is a huge factor.

Crankgrinder

This past weekend at the gunshow here in wichita, i saw 2 remington r1 1911s priced at 900.00:eek: And i see stuff like this all the time.

joneb

I find that there are less dealers trying to move there product and more dealers trying to cash in on their investments.
Most of these guys seem like they want their guns more than I do.

Pointshoot

I used to go to a monthly gunshow that is likely the largest in the state. But its a pretty good drive down there, and I haven't gone to it for at least 4 years now. Reason ? Its just not worth it. Prices on guns are too high. Maybe they count on inexperienced newbies with more money than gun sense ? After the last time I went to that show, I told myself its better to not go,and save on gas & time. In the past, I found my best deals at gunshows. Not from the big dealers with multiple tables. Usually from the small 'hobby' type guy with one table and just a few guns. (Also from individuals who brought their gun to a show to sell - - - but this is very rare. Usually they don't have what I'm looking for.) The internet has opened up a big market for buyers & sellers. I'd say the majority of the gunshops I regularly deal with locally, also sell online and have listings on the major gun ad and auction websites. That probably can keep you from getting gouged, but it also makes it tougher to get a screaming deal. People have a better idea of what the market price is.

Cowboy_mo

I used to go to 3 or 4 gunshows in the St. Louis area each year. The only "deals" I ever saw on guns were the ones individuals were carrying around to sell. I also saw the same dealers at the same shows every time many with the same over-priced inventory. With a little eavesdropping, I learned that the only people buying guns an in most cases ammo from the vendors, were 'newbies' who didn't know the value of the merchandise.

A few years back I used to see some decent deals on holsters, some reloading equipment, and sometimes reloading components. At least in our area, the shows aren't designed for the knowledgeable shooter and I haven't been to one for over a year.

wayneinFL

This past weekend at the gunshow here in wichita, i saw 2 remington r1 1911s priced at 900.00 And i see stuff like this all the time.

Come on. A pair of 1911s for $900 isn't a bad deal. :D

44 AMP

Staff
The prices at the shows I go to are high, but people still dicker.

Face it, our dollar isn't worth crap these days, plus the panic buying hysteria, plus the "collectable" crap. Now, while there are a lot of guns I will pay good money for (and I do buy a lot more used than new) a bargin gun that went out of production 40+ years ago isn't worth what they ask these days.

I don't even dare crack open that case of 7.62NATO I bought a few years ago for $165, it would cost me nearly $900 to replace it!

Seems like everything has gone up alot, except wages....

SVO

Shopping for a gun at a show and getting a deal is a matter of being educated about what you are buying. You have to know what the going price is for the item you are looking for.

Skans

Lots of reasons for high stated prices at gun shows:

1. A good vendor is good at "jawing" with anyone who passes their table. (Why do you think the beef jerky guy and the knife sharpener keep coming back). They'll get someone talking about Obama, gun bans, some conspiracy theory, etc. If the vendor can get the looky-lew interested in something, he can always make him the "deal of a lifetime".

2. Vendors are not usually looking to sell to folks who are extremely knowledgeable about firearms. They are looking to pluck cash from idiots - and there are plenty of them out there.

3. Vendors also like people who have too much money they don't know the difference any longer between $1,000 and $50,000 - these are the vendors selling "collectors pieces".

4. Some vendors use shiny Pythons, Colt SAA 1st gens, or Class III stuff to attract folks to their tables - they aren't necessarily looking to off-load their really good stuff, unless someone really, really wants it.

5. There are a few folks who just like their junk more than they like money - maybe buy/sell guns more as a hobby.

6. Last, but not least, some buyers don't realize that the market value of many guns has gone up - they may think prices are out of line when (sometimes) they really aren't.

Rifleman1776

Thanks for all the responses.
I was really hoping for a dealer to explain the high price situation and why they complain when sales are slow.

Skans

I was really hoping for a dealer to explain the high price situation and why they complain when sales are slow.

You mean the guy who has shooter-grade S&W 38 spc. revolvers from the 1970's, one Colt Series 80 1911, and a rack of sporterized Mauser-action rifles? Yeah, that guy doesn't use the internet, so I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for him to respond!:D

BrittB

I went to a show this past weekend and found each and every one of the complaints listed on this forum. There was some deals to be found but they were few and far between! One of the hot items seemed to be things related to Makarov caliber stuff. I guess $200 pistols are the next hot thing!

Gaerek

I went to a gun show over the weekend and actually did see one good deal. It was a Sig SP2022 with night sights for $420. Typical price of the 2022 locally without night sights is around that. I already own (well, my wife does) one and I don't particularly like how the gun feels, so I didn't pick it up.

The other thing I noticed was the guy I usually buy my ammo from raised his prices by about 10%. I had bought 1000 rounds of 9mm from him last month for about $185 after tax. This weekend, I bought another 1000 rounds of 9mm for around $205 after tax. His booth was really busy. I asked him what was going on, and he said most people are worried Oba...errr the president is going to do something to make ammo scarce. He said it's been great for business, but he thought most people were a bit foolish. I just told him I wanted to shoot, lol.

When I go to a gun show I'm looking for very specific items that are not generally in dealers cases because they've been out of production for years.

My most recent gun show purchases were a Colt Official Police in .38 Special for just under $400 out the door, and a Smith & Wesson 4506-1, also for just under $400 OTD.

Most of my guns these days are coming from Gun Broker, like my S&W 12-2 snub and my Colt Police Positive Special in .32-20.

reynolds357

I quit going to gun shows ten years ago for the reasons listed. I have a local dealer who will sell me any firearm on his computer for $25 over his cost if I am willing to wait for his regular order or $25 over plus shipping if I just have to have it right then.

A lot of small gun shops around me that started or expanded in the last few years when prices were ridiculously high. Look at how many companies have added production now though. I hear Kel Tec is in the process of DOUBLING their production.

The dealers want 2008 prices.