What's the proper etiquette when shooting a 44 magnum at the range?

speakerguy79

I was sighting in my .270 at a 100yd indoor range and was seated next to some guy shooting a paramilitary weapon that I'd never seen before. Short, extremely heavy bull barrel. So thick it almost looked like a silencer, but it went all the way back to the receiver. I've been on the rifle range before so I know what it's like, but that thing made the stall walls shake. I had to step out until he was finished. I have no ungodly idea what it was.

Funny thing is, he was shooting at like 25 yards, and was all over the place. He must have been flinching something terrible and yanking the trigger. I was also shooting my 9mm that day and I grouped better than he did with that weird bull barrelled carbine.

Cyo

I've found one of the most hellish things to hear is a .38 Super with a compensator. They don't 'BOOM' the same way as someone with a big bore. It's more like someone putting a snare drum over your ear and smacking the hell out of it.

bikerbill

Hey, it's a shooting range ... when I go, I expect people to be shooting ... I know magnums can be unsettling; folks often come over to see what I'm up to when I'm firing full-house .357s from my 686 ... but everybody has ears on; be polite, follow the rules and fire away ...

fredneck

Considering one guy shoots a Barrett on our range along with several other rifles, a 44 is no problem at all. The only gun I've got that irritated anyone was a hotloaded 45-70 Marlin Guide Gun...with ports.

Dave85

My biggest boomer is a ported .357 Mag. A few people in the past have stopped and looked over when I've shot it at the indoor range. Some folks are just more sensitive to noise than others. You really can't do anything about that. It is a gun range. Anyone who is offended by your .44 Mag. needs to reassess their own presence there, not yours.

My father was a pilot, and all those years of exposure to loud noise took their toll on his hearing. I am, therefore, sensitive to the need for protection. When I go to the range, I always double up on the hearing protection-plugs and muffs. That way anybody can shoot whatever they want, and it's no skin off my nose.

batmann

When I shoot my Ruger Alaskan, I will ask them to give a lane away from the other shooters is possible. Other than that, normal range rules.

Bart Noir

First "Fire in the Hole!"

Then "Incoming!"

Then "5..4..3..2..1!"

Then fire the next shot from the 4-inch .44 Magnum Taurus with porting.

Bart Noir

madmag

Depending on the range, a .44 mag is tame stuff. At Knob Creek in Kentucky you can shoot a .50 Barrett from any table...no restriction. That means you can have person shooting a .22 along side a .50 with muzzle brake. I have had the blast from a .50 Barrett on the next table blow my gun case off my table....not to mention the blast noise.

jephthai

the sound cut right through my 33db muffs
Then you need new muffs. My wife and I use 29dB muffs and neither of us are bothered by my .357 mag.

Maybe he needs older ears? (no offense intended) I think this is a subjective metric. Just because one person is not bothered doesn't mean another person shouldn't be.

You can't have too much ear protection, and if you're uncomfortable, that's the clue from your body that you should get more. Don't hurt the ears until they're comfortable with it!

I don't have particularly good hearing (God blessed me with a great sense of smell -- and I'm not sure how that's so extra-useful, as I think about it), and I've gotten very sensitive to the reality of reduced hearing, even in my yet-short lifetime.

-Jephthai-

NAKing

Maybe he needs older ears? (no offense intended) I think this is a subjective metric. Just because one person is not bothered doesn't mean another person shouldn't be.

You can't have too much ear protection, and if you're uncomfortable, that's the clue from your body that you should get more. Don't hurt the ears until they're comfortable with it!

I don't have particularly good hearing (God blessed me with a great sense of smell -- and I'm not sure how that's so extra-useful, as I think about it), and I've gotten very sensitive to the reality of reduced hearing, even in my yet-short lifetime.

-Jephthai-

Yes, it's subjective. I am less tolerant to loud noise because I am a pianist and NEED excellent hearing. My 33db muffs are fine, but I'm finicky when it comes to my hearing. I now use plugs and muffs - no problems.

Master Blaster

First I look for the bullseye pistol guys who are easy to spot because they have their gun ho pistol cases with the scope on the door in a gil hibbard scope mount. They are taking their time and firing really slow. I set up near as many of them as possible.:p

1. I pull my pants halfway down so everybody can see my underwear.:p

2. I yell YO Yo YO Fo te Foo MAAAAAAAAGNUMMMMM IN DA House. :cool:

3. Next my two shorties I bring along yell whoop whoop whooop and shake their Booties, I make sure that their buts are hangin out of their short Shorts. This usually breaks the concentration of the Bullseye guys, so then they call safe and I can go down range and hang a target. I take my time as I do this. Hopefully the bullseye guys pack up and leave at this point...

4. I return to the firing position, I yell some unintelligible gibberish loud and fast, Yell YO YO YO the range is Hooooot, Then I grap my crotch.

I pick up my 6 inch 629, an say DO ya feel lucky, Do ya feel lucky Unh huh unhuh, Then my shorties all yell that a couple times.

I then blast off a full cylinder as fast as I can, reload and repeat untill all the bullseye guys have left, Me and the girls fire 100 rounds or until the gun is too hot to hold.

Then I pack up and go home.

Casimer

There's a fellow at my home range who loves to shoot really hot .357 loads - they're so hot that he tends to clear-out the stations to either side. He brings along a few packs of those Leight disposable foam plugs for people nearby so that they can wear them under their muffs. I've seldom seen anyone take him up on the offer, but it's a nice sentiment.

44 AMP

Staff
Think of it kind of like bowling....

If the guy in the lane next to you is sighting down range and about to shoot, its not nice to step up and BLAM!!!!!

Sure, you paid your money, and you have a right to shoot, but a little courtesy goes a long way. There is no need to be rude. A few moments wait, then the polite notification that "I'm shooting a magnum" is all it takes. Once warned, the other guy decides how he will deal with the blast, and you are a "good guy" instead of an A-hole.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
If I'm shooting anything that's going to be unusually loud, I'll try and take a lane towards the end if one is available.

Personally, I realize that going to the range means I'm going to be exposed to loud noises and possibly pelted with brass, but not everyone seems to have reached that conclusion yet, and I don't want to harsh their mellow if I can help it.

Jeff #111

Master Blaster
First I look for the bullseye pistol guys who are easy to spot because they have their gun ho pistol cases with the scope on the door in a gil hibbard scope mount. They are taking their time and firing really slow. I set up near as many of them as possible.

1. I pull my pants halfway down so everybody can see my underwear.

2. I yell YO Yo YO Fo te Foo MAAAAAAAAGNUMMMMM IN DA House.

3. Next my two shorties I bring along yell whoop whoop whooop and shake their Booties, I make sure that their buts are hangin out of their short Shorts. This usually breaks the concentration of the Bullseye guys, so then they call safe and I can go down range and hang a target. I take my time as I do this. Hopefully the bullseye guys pack up and leave at this point...

4. I return to the firing position, I yell some unintelligible gibberish loud and fast, Yell YO YO YO the range is Hooooot, Then I grap my crotch.

I pick up my 6 inch 629, an say DO ya feel lucky, Do ya feel lucky Unh huh unhuh, Then my shorties all yell that a couple times.

I then blast off a full cylinder as fast as I can, reload and repeat untill all the bullseye guys have left, Me and the girls fire 100 rounds or until the gun is too hot to hold.

Then I pack up and go home.

Master Blaster I feel that in order to properly express my feelings about your marvelously written piece of satire I must take on the attitude of a true "street" person.:rolleyes:

YO YO YO my Brother from another mother you are one bad *BEEP*. Stay cool and word to yo mother chico.

Yes I think that's states my feelings perfectly. Good show. :D

Socrates

I usually wait until I'm pretty much alone. The other alternative is find someone shooting a really obnoxious gun, like a 357 snub. Setup next to them, rifle a few 525's at 1350 fps, and, they usually pack up and go home.
Then I can get out my target pistols, and, enjoy shooting them...

Or, find someone shooting a lil gun, like the 44, and, setup next to him, and trade shots.

B.N.Real

I get laughing too hard when someone starts shooting those cannons to shoot well.

BOOM!BOOM!BOOM!

And here I go,

plink!plink!plink!

I realize that guy paid for the range time as well as I did.

If it bothers me too much I just take a break or move to another shooting station farther away.

Master Blaster

Seriously, I do all my shooting at two private clubs, one indoors and one outdoors. I know most of the folks who shoot there, all regulars.

My outdoor club has the four last lanes designated as magnum lanes. This means no 50 foot target rail, only one at 25 yards. They also have 50 yards with no 25 rail on the other side. That is to avoid bouncebacks and damage to the target rail which is 1/4" steel plate and tube.

Magnum means full power ammo, I reload so I mostly shoot target loads, or midrange stuff, that means I shoot in any lane. I always try to be considerate and set up at a distance from other shooters, especially anyone with children ( lots of times thats me) who may be sensitive to the extra noise. When I shoot indoors I try to warn the other shooters next to me and take a far lane. The bullseye guys, since they know me, usually pack up and go anyway,:p so I do try to be considerate and warn them they may want to double up if I am shooting full power ammo.