What's the proper etiquette when shooting a 44 magnum at the range?

Saab1911

I want to get a 44 magnum revolver, but what's the etiquette when shooting
a 44 magnum at the shooting range?

I don't own ranch, at least not yet. So, public shooting ranges are the
only option.

I can already scare off some light footed individuals with my 357 magnum revolver.

So, if I get a 44 magnum revolver, is moving to a stall that is furthest from
everyone else enough? I hear people lighting off 44 magnums all the time
at the range, and it doesn't bother me. But I know it bothers some others
who may be more sensitive.

What's the proper etiquette when shooting a 44 magnum revolver?

Cheers,

Jae

Wayward_Son

Don't show off.

Other than that, the etiquette is the same as firing any other handgun at the range: obey the rules, be respectful to other people and help the newcomers.

azredhawk44

+1.

If the range allows the caliber, then you can shoot it at any lane they assign you to.

I don't see it being any additional responsibility above any other handgun, other than recognizing that it is tougher on backstops than other conventional pistol cartridges.

Any one else's flinches or hang-ups aren't your responsibility. Don't be a jerk, but also don't allow someone else's problems to become your own.

Smaug

I tried not to shoot directly next to someone when I was shooting magnum loads.

The concussion can be felt in one's head & chest, and it is certainly distracting. It is annoying when I've got the perfect sight picture and am ever so gently squeezing the trigger, and that concussion hits me. Not the end of the world, just annoying.

22-rimfire

I often look over to make sure they are back away from the line a bit especially if they don't have their ear protection on. If they don't, I'll sort of let them know I'm about to shoot. Shooting under metal roofs is the worst... the sound is sometimes deafening if you don't pay attention to the other shooters. Most know the ropes. I pay attention to kids especially since they often won't have their ear protection on if they aren't shooting.

Kreyzhorse

My proper ettiquette is to make sure everyone has proper ear protection, follow range rule and step up to the line. I try not to get in a lane next to someone else and that's about it.

Saab1911

22-rimfire said:
Shooting under metal roofs is the worst... the sound is sometimes deafening if you don't pay attention to the other shooters.

That's why I don't like indoor shooting ranges, dark, smelly and noisy.

odoh

kinda like a public restroom. I don't set up next to the other guy given a choice. Likewise, if one uses the urinal next to me, I sorta keep a watchful eye but pretty much on his own ~ his choice.

Keltyke

What's the proper etiquette when shooting a 44 magnum revolver?

Observe general safety and range rules and don't worry about it. Someone may come over and ask, "What is that thing?" Sometimes I'll do the same thing. Then you'll get to show it off and brag a little.

When I shoot my .357 magnum and .40 S&W, some look over and sometimes the other shooting stops for a second. Magnums DO have a concussive blast that can be felt against the chest.

When shooting at a public range, you gotta expect all types of guns. You have as much right to shoot your .44 as someone else has to shoot a .22. I certainly wouldn't waste range time waiting for an appropriate spot to clear out or a specific lane to be available.

jmorrell

I shoot primarily at an outdoor range at a private club with eight covered shooting positions without walls separating the shooting positions. While a 44 magnum isn't quite as awesome or deafening as it would be at an indoor range, I still feel a duty to warn other shooters that I will be shooting a 44 magnum. I give my first warning as I am setting up my gear. I then give another warning just before my first shot.

kraigwy

I think I would tell the range master what I was shooting and ask him where would be the best place to shoot that wouldn't bother the other shooters.

RsqVet

Saab given the proliferation of 454, 460 and 500 mag I see at the range, not to mention the AR pistols which are loud as heck or the 338 Lapua mags I'd say 44 hardly even hits my radar screen so far as loud goes.

I would also say as other have, if you have the choice space yourself ---- I do this always. If not oh well. It's a FIRING RANGE.

bcrash15

I agree with what's been said. You've paid your money like anyone else, but there are some added things that someone with a big gun should be considerate of.

Sometimes if I see someone near me is not paying attention or something I will hold fire for a sec or let them know I'm going to shoot. For example, one time there was a younger girl waiting next to my stall for her dad to get a new target. I didn't want to scare the crap out of her, so I waited until they had moved on. When I bring larger guns, I bring at least another "smaller" caliber as well so I can switch to it if I feel like I'm being a nuisance.

I also try to get my own lane away from everyone, but this isn't always possible, and I especially try to avoid lanes next to other shooters who are being instructed and trying to learn or or are shooting really small calibers, as they may not have been expecting the noise (they should, but if they didn't I still don't want to make their ears ring). A while ago I remember walking in the door to the shooting lanes only having muffs on (I was going to shoot a .22) and I got about 2 steps inside and the guy in the first lane lit off with something huge (was at least a .44mag if not bigger), and I just spun around and when right back out to double up on hearing protection.

davlandrum

+1 on the seperation if possible. The range we go to now (outdoor) has a barrier on most of the firing points so you can't elevate too high. I made the mistake of firing my .460 at one of those points 1 time. With muffs and plugs in, it still rung my bell.

Now I shoot on the ends without the barrier.

geologist

I just tell the guys next to me that "It's going to get loud." whenever I shoot these.

Ruger SRH .454 Casull

LE No. 5 "jungle carbine" .303 - It's surprisingly loud.

Norinco HP9-1 12 gauge, 14" barrel.

BRNO 602 bolt action carbine .375 H&H 20" barrel. This one is LOUD!

NAKing

Pardon my ignorance, newbie here. When I went to the indoor range once there was a guy in the lane next to me shooting something BIG. I mean REALLY BIG. So big that you could feel it against your chest (it felt like somebody was slapping you firmly in the chest) and the sound cut right through my 33db muffs. I almost had to walk away for a few minutes after a while. Anyway, there's nothing wrong with what the guy was doing. He was using an allowed weapon responsibly. I just never knew what the darn thing was. I guess it must have been a magnum load of some kind. The question is this: I shoot a .357mag and have NEVER experienced this with my own weapon. Am I just using a "small" load or what? Winchester 110grain JHP.

I'd say mine doesnt recoil any more and is no louder than a 40acp.

Saab1911

NAKing said:
Pardon my ignorance, newbie here. When I went to the indoor range once there was a guy in the lane next to me shooting something BIG. I mean REALLY BIG. So big that you could feel it against your chest (it felt like somebody was slapping you firmly in the chest) and the sound cut right through my 33db muffs. I almost had to walk away for a few minutes after a while. Anyway, there's nothing wrong with what the guy was doing. He was using an allowed weapon responsibly. I just never knew what the darn thing was. I guess it must have been a magnum load of some kind. The question is this: I shoot a .357mag and have NEVER experienced this with my own weapon. Am I just using a "small" load or what? Winchester 110grain JHP.

If it's changing barometric pressure, it's 44 Magnum or bigger.

Keltyke

I shoot a .357mag and have NEVER experienced this with my own weapon. Am I just using a "small" load or what? Winchester 110grain JHP.

Well, 110 gr. is kinda light for a .357 magnum. I don't know what kind of powder load that round has. You're directly behind the muzzle. The concussion spreads outward from parallel to the barrel to about 45 degrees behind the muzzle on all compass points. You're in the dead zone.