What's the cheapest .22 LR currently made?

Hawg

I looked at a new Rossi pump at my LGS. It was ugly and was cheap looking not to mention a rough action. I wouldn't have one. Now an older Rossi pump I'd like to have.

Ricklin

Are you just looking to make noise? Firecrackers can do that.
Only accurate rifles are interesting. Not caring about accuracy is really just making noise, that's OK I suppose, but there are far cheaper ways to make noise W/O flying projectiles.

Hawg

Are you just looking to make noise? Firecrackers can do that.
Only accurate rifles are interesting. Not caring about accuracy is really just making noise, that's OK I suppose, but there are far cheaper ways to make noise W/O flying projectiles.

For you maybe. Some of us or at least I despise punching holes in paper to see how small of groups I can make. Not that I can't, it just bores me to tears. I just like to have fun and a rifle or handgun for that matter can be a lot of fun without being dead nuts accurate.

jetinteriorguy

If you’d stumble across a nice used Savage B-22 grab it. I picked up a slightly used one with a heavy barrel a few years ago for $175.00 and stuck a Bushnell $40.00 scope on it and it’s unbelievably accurate. It’s sub MOA out to 75yds and just slightly over MOA at 100 yds with almost any ammunition. I have had a couple minor issues with it, it wouldn’t extract a shell every once in a while. I called Savage and three days later they sent me a replacement along with an improved spring, which was very simple to replace and the replacement was much higher quality than the original. It now functions flawlessly. The second issue isn’t necessarily a function problem, more of a PITA problem with loading the rotary magazine. I also have a Savage in .17HMR that had exactly the same extractor in it that they also replaced for me, even though I wasn’t actually having any issues with it yet.

stagpanther

Well, if you're into fun plinking and don't care about just minigroups--you should try shooting the North American Arms 22lr mini revolver out to 50 yards--stupendously fun and you might just be surprised with what it can do.:)

The Cricket is about the least expensive new .22 rifle I know of. But it's a kid's rifle, with a length of pull of 12 inches or less, and the butt stock looks about as nice as the one on a Daisy Red Ryder carbine.

For a few bucks more you can get an Armscor M14Y Youth Rifle, with a hardwood stock and a 10-round magazine. MSRP is $149, so the street price should be around $125 or so.

https://www.armscor.com/firearms-list/m14y-youth-rifle-22lr-10rd

Armscor also has an adult version, the model YTA. It has a polymer stock that comes with two spacers at the butt, so you can adjust the length of pull for adults or children. I've been tempted, but I find the polymer stock to be monumentally ugly, and I'm too old to waste time on guns I know I'll hate to look at.

https://www.armscor.com/firearms-list/14y

FrankenMauser

Those ArmsCor magazines are a (updated but worsened) design that dates back to the 1960s. Very much not recommended.
Relegates the entire rifle to the trash pile.

The nasty die-cast Cooey (Savage 64) magazines are arguably better. And they are absolutely terrible. So...

hammie

The mini single shots, were mentioned earlier, but I don't think that is what the original poster wants. There are the savage rascal, the keystone chipmunk and cricket, and the henry mini bolt. Of that group, the henry is of way better quality, but it is of way higher price. Boyd's does offer a target/bench rest stock for the savage rascal. I've often thought it would be fun to get a heavy barreled rascal, re-stock it, scope it, and see what it could do. However, it seems that I always have too many other, higher priority gun projects waiting in the wings.

Last edited:

Pumpkin

You should be able to find a nice lightly used Glenfield or Mossberg bolt action for a decent price. Normally, I would have included Marlin or Remington but I think recent firearms developments have probably raised the price of these much higher than the first two I mentioned.

TruthTellers

Those ArmsCor magazines are a (updated but worsened) design that dates back to the 1960s. Very much not recommended.
Relegates the entire rifle to the trash pile.

The nasty die-cast Cooey (Savage 64) magazines are arguably better. And they are absolutely terrible. So...
I like Arsmcor/Rock Island pistols, but their long guns have never interested me.

44 AMP

Staff
For inexpensive 22, a semi auto is probably a better deal overall than a bolt action. A locked action (bolt) is not necessary for .22 rimfire, and it costs more to make.

A .22 semi auto is better than a bolt action, if you want a semi auto, and, if it works. And, when talking about "budget grade .22s" bolt guns are cheaper to make than semi autos. Often considerably. They are simpler, with fewer parts, and often even cheap .22 bolt guns will have better triggers than semis, and if not, are easier to improve, if you desire to do so.

OP, other than personal preference, why does it have to be new??

There are millions upon millions of used .22s in serviceable condition all over the country, generally priced less than the cheapest new production anything.

The OP said he wanted something cheap, to shoot the ammo his 10/22 didn't like. He didn't specific a repeater, or action type.

This makes me think of the rifle I learned to shoot with, my Mother's rifle, a JC Higgins single shot bolt action, which I learned to shoot as a boy of 10 (when I was strong enough to cock it on my own :D). Accurate enough to center punch poker chips to 50yds and make head shots on small game back when high grade .22LR was $0.39 a box.

rc

Look at gun broker. Look for a Savage 29B pump, Winchester 69A bolt action or a used Marlin 880 bolt actions. They will shoot ammo that won't cycle a 10/22. Winchester 190s are cheap old tube fed semi autos from the 60s and will feed shorts so even lousy 22 LR will cycle through them. I would stay away from the foreign made pot metal junk at the bottom of the barrel today. The Ruger American Rimfire bolt actions will use the same 10/22 magazines you have and might be something to look at new to shoot crap ammo. Spend a bit more and be happy with your purchase.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1011974935

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1012745744

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1013243821

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1012765455

FrankenMauser

Winchester 190s that are for sale are worn out or broken, and will be less reliable than Armscor M20s and M16s.
I recommend avoiding them.
People don't sell 190s that work.

Winchester 69s require paying a Winchester tax. They're not worth it.

(On Gunbroker) Marlin 880s run about $240 at the bottom end now. (+shipping, tax, fees, transfer, etc.)
A good one will close at $300+, if not $400. (+shipping, tax, fees, transfer, etc.)
I have a Gunbroker search that emails me for every Marlin 880 that gets listed (even if listed improperly). That market is broken and prices are increasing. I see every one listed and watch every sale; and try to follow them in other auctions, as well. Marlin 880s are not worth the price at most auctions, especially most of them on Gunbroker.

Marlin XT-22s, however, seem to have a lower barrier to entry when listed poorly (great deals if listed without photos). Better deals to be found if you're patient. And they're newer than the 880, with (generally, depending on year) better triggers.
Older Marlin models, like the 780, that used the M25 (curved) magazine can often be found for less than the modern models. And there are dozens of variants. Lots of good deals there, especially when they fall into "listed poorly or in the wrong category."

But, keep in mind for any of the models that use "modern" Marlin magazines (the "795 magazine"), that no one is making them any more. What is on the market is all we get until (and if) there is enough demand for an aftermarket company to make more.

rc

Prices of marlin magazines have come down a bit in recent months. But they did double in the last 4 years. Winchester magazines are expensive to get originals and aftermarket magazines don't feed as well. The Savage 29B is not a highly sought after model but it's a very high quality pump.

TruthTellers

OP, other than personal preference, why does it have to be new??

There are millions upon millions of used .22s in serviceable condition all over the country, generally priced less than the cheapest new production anything.

The OP said he wanted something cheap, to shoot the ammo his 10/22 didn't like. He didn't specific a repeater, or action type.
I prefer new because nothing used around me is going to be less than what I could get new and while I could spend a few weekends driving to LGS up to an hour away to browse, I'd be wasting time and money doing that looking for a deal that likely won't be there.

So, instead of wasting that time and money, it's easier for me to buy something new online and transfer it.

I didn't specify an action because I'm open to them all, but I'm leaning towards a pump because I've never had a pump rifle before. Actually, I've never owned a pump action anything before.

Pumpkin

Well, you have two maybe four choices;
1) New, imported, inexpensive.
2) Used, not necessarily imported, possibly close in price to # 1.
3) Same as # 2 except higher quality and higher prices.
If you are set on # 1, go on GB and buy the cheapest one available that catches your fancy.
You could come back and get peoples opinions on it once you make a decision.
4) You could also give your cheap ammo to a good mate and buy some quality ammunition for your Ruger with the money you would have spent on another cheap gun.

Last edited: