What scope for Remington 700?

MagicMan

Just picked up a 700 SPS and now need to find a scope for it. I know most folks here seem to say spend more on the scope than you did on the rifle, but that's not what my budget will allow.

I don't need anything that can pick up something a mile away. Although it'd be nice.

jmr40

The best budget scopes in my opinion are the Nikon Prostaff series. Around $150 for a 3-9X-40mm at Walmart. Anything cheaper is like flushing money down the toilet in my opinion. You can get better scopes, but will have to go up to $250-$300 to see anything significantly better.

masterhunter

You dont need to spend more on the scope than you did on the rifle.
You just need to get a good quality scope like a Leupold.

I've read it here before "spend twice as much on the glass as you did the rifle"...........utter nonsense. :rolleyes:

4sixteen

There might be diminishing returns when it comes to laying out cash for a scope. You might end up paying a whole lot more for a little better quality.

I just put a Nikon Prostaff 2x7 scope on my Remington 700 CDL 35 Whelen. Works great and buying it didn't bust the bank. :)

DSCN1516e.jpg

GeauxTide

I've had surprising luck with the Bushnell 1x4 scopes. Tried one on my 788 and it has been great. Put two more on my 77s.

CK_32

Yea iv been looking around for the same thing.
like a scope that is good for 100-600 yards..
adjustable magnifacation..

so help us out.

LordofWar

Limit yourself to Leupold & Swarski.

I have Leupold VX-I on my Rem 700 in 30-06 and Swarski on my Blaser R93 attache.

I've personally had good luck with Barska scopes. Before anyone says anything, I know they are cheap chinese made scopes but they work well. I have one on my Savage 12FV and have put well over 1000 rounds down range without a single malfunction from the scope. Has held zero through all the rounds and even through a rollover accident I was in, in Nov. 2007.

LordofWar

Its not about cheap or expensive.

Anything that does the job is a winner. These Barsa scopes, are they all this reliable & accurate?

Brad Clodfelter

The Bushnell Legend scopes are probably one of the best scopes on the market for what you get.

The Nikon Buckmasters scopes are worth the price as well. Very good scopes.

Mueller makes some dang good scopes, too.

schlockinz

Nikon, Leupold, Zeiss

Zeiss is by far the most expensive, but can be had for about 650-700 for a conquest if you look online. I compared leupold's to zeiss's and to my eyes, the zeiss will win, but leupold makes a scope that will last a lifetime if you take care of it.

BusGunner007

What cartridge does your rifle shoot...? distances you'll be shooting at? animals or targets 'size'?
Just wondering how to give a good comment on your question. :)

I like my NIKON scopes and my Leupolds and Redfields.

The NIKON scopes I have are Monarchs. The eye relief is a bit less than the Leupold scopes.
The Redfield scopes are about the same as the NIKON.

Hope that helps.

skydiver3346

Scope for your 700?

Remember, don't ever scrimp on good glass for your rifle. No matter if you have to sell another gun or something else, always try and buy a good quality scope no matter what. You regret it down the road if you don't.
Get at good quality Leupold, or maybe pick up a used Swarovski or Kahles off Gunbroker or Ebay if you can.

CK_32

Haha man this is like a never ending story..

i havnt seen anyone agree on a single scope this whole time..
lol