What revolvers did S&W put names on?

dgludwig

Sevens said:
Quote:
Ummm, if the ".45 cal Model of 1955" counts, does the ".45cal Model of 1989" count? Or does it specifically NOT count because the gun is formally stamped Model 625 on the frame?

QUOTE: "...Actually, the trade name of that gun was "Model 1955 TARGET", so it should be deleted from the list..."

Bob Wright, I was thinking the same thing-but I'd give this model a pass on making the "list" because it's at least partially inclusive. Still, a debatable issue to be sure.

SVTCobra306

Some Performance Center revolvers do to this day. The 629 Hunter has that on one side of the barrel and Performance Center on the other side. The current 629 Classic has its name on the barrel also.

I may be remembering wrong, but I am nearly certain I saw a pair of new production Model 67's with "Combat Masterpiece" on the side of them a couple of years back.

i could see a .22 Long Rifle in the S&W "I" frame. Not the "improved I" frame but the original "I" frame. The "little" I frame (all slicked up) could hold 8 shots of either .22 LR or .22 WMRF. If it sported a 6" barrel, a .22 Magnum would prove to be a mean PD piece. In .22 lr would be reach into the low end of the .32 Long territory.

Howdy

No way an I frame is going to hold 8 rounds of 22 anything. Seven rounds, maybe. Not eight. Too short for 22 Magnums too, I just eyeballed them.

Top to bottom in this photo, K-22, I frame 22/32 Bekeart, I frame 22/32 Heavy Frame Target.

withk22_zps4aa900fe.jpg

CaptainO

I have a 3" barreled "I" frame in .32 S&W Long. Perhaps 7 rounds of 22 Long would be more reasonable. I still believe that this would be a "practical" application of this long-discontinued frame. (I could be wrong, but I understand that the original "I" frame was discontinued in 1958).

S&W would never re-create the "I" frame, but I think that such a small-framed revolver would sell rather well.