What revolvers did S&W put names on?

As a matter of interest, the New Century revolver introduced the shrouded ejector rod, and this became sort of standard on "elite" S&W guns to this day. When the British objected to this lug, as it may get filled with mud and prevent closing of the cylinder, S&W shortened it to just the front locking lug.

Ever since, all S&W revolvers named, or hinted at, military or army or Military and Police, have had the short front lug.

Howdy

That is not quite how it happened, or at least that is not the whole story. The New Century, also known as the 44 Hand Ejector First Model, was designed to chamber a new cartridge called the 44 S&W Special.

triplelock03_zps8bd6cc58.jpg

The 44 Special was basically the same as the earlier 44 Russian round, except the 44 Special brass was about 3/16" longer than the older 44 Russian brass. This meant the new round could hold about 26 grains of Black Powder, vs the 23 grains of the Russian round. S&W felt the new revolver should be designed for 'maximum tightness and positive alignment of the cylinder'*. So they incorporated a distinctive third latch positioned where the yoke meets the frame, in addition to the standard latches at the front of the extractor rod and the rear of the cylinder. Because of this unique third latch, the New Century revolver popularly became known as the Triple Lock.

Here are some photos showing the details of the third latch.

triplelockcrane_zpsbbcf8c9e.jpg

triplelockextractorrodplunger_zps8c3c7e77.jpg

triplelockhardenedlatchpiece_zps510369af.jpg

The shroud was necessary for the third latch to function, because it housed some of the parts. The Triple Lock and the 44 Special cartridge were first introduced in 1908. The list price for the Triple Lock was $21. Sales were slow, only about 2,200 Triple Locks were sold per year, with a total of 15,375 being sold by 1915. At that time, Smith decided to eliminate the third lock, allowing the price of the 44 Hand Ejector Second Model to drop to $19 per unit.

44 Hand Ejector Second Model

44handejectornumber201_zps72546e10.jpg

It may well be true that the British objected to the shrouded ejector rod, that is the first time I heard that. But S&W dropped the fancy third latch, never to make one again, to save cost, and because it was not really necessary. The third latch was very expensive to make, and latching at the front of the extractor rod and rear of the cylinder is really all that was needed.

During production of the 2nd Model, S&W received numerous inquiries asking for a 44 Hand Ejector with a shrouded ejector rod. The company rebuffed these inquiries, saying that there was not enough demand to warrant tooling up for a new barrel. But in 1926, Wolf & Klar of Fort Worth placed an order for 3,500 44 Hand Ejectors, specifying a shrouded extractor rod. So Smith and Wesson put the shroud back under the barrel for the 44 Hand Ejector Third Model, also known as the Wolf & Klar model. Of course the third latch was missing, the shroud merely added weight to the front of the gun and protected the extractor rod.

IMG_0097%20cropped_zpsbc71sxna.jpg

Ever since that time, yes the shrouded extractor rod has been reserved for the 'better' Smiths.

* The History of Smith and Wesson by Roy Jinks

RickB

It may well be true that the British objected to the shrouded ejector rod, that is the first time I heard that.

I have heard that as well, but no idea where. I thought it had attained "conventional wisdom" status.

Bob Wright

I believe it was in Keith's Sixguns by Keith book where he stated the British Purchasing Commission objected to the third lock and full length shroud. Seems that's where I read that.

Bob Wright

Thanks for the reference, Bob. I looked it up. Keith says "with the start of World War I, the encased ejector lug was eliminated due to some army authorities claiming it would fill with mud".

He also goes on to mention how he was instrumental in getting the Magna style grip created.

Whatever the reason for eliminating the third lock and its shroud, Roy Jinks does state that Smith was able to charge 2 dollars less for the 2nd Model than the 1sdt Model, because of the elimination of the third latch.

old bear

At one time Smith and Wesson had product names for all their revolvers. I.e Combat Masterpiece, Combat Magnum, military and police, Chiefs Special, Terrier, and so on. In 1958 Smith and Wesson eliminated names and went to an simpler model number system.

Mr. Watson is correct, the first PRODUCTION .357 Magnum revolvers were named the .357 Magnum.

salvadore

I own a 396 that has the caliber on the right side of the barrel and a big Mountain Lite on the left side. Does that count?

dgludwig

QUOTE: "...At one time Smith and Wesson had product names for all their revolvers. I.e Combat Masterpiece, Combat Magnum, military and police, Chiefs Special, Terrier, and so on. In 1958 Smith and Wesson eliminated names and went to an simpler model number system..."

True, of course, but, as I understand it, the op was asking which Smith & Wesson handguns actually had the "names" stamped/printed on the gun(s). An interesting question for sure and I'm finding it surprising that so few apparently were so marked.

CaptainO

The Ladysmith goes back as far as the 1920's with the creation of the "M" frame S&W Double-action revolver, It was, I believe, chambered for the .22 Long cartridge. It wastiny, petite and suitable for a lady's handbag, or pocket. S&W made a larege number of them.

carguychris

CaptainO said:
The Ladysmith goes back as far as the 1920's with the creation of the "M" frame S&W Double-action revolver, It was, I believe, chambered for the .22 Long cartridge.
However—as it relates to the OP's question—the only markings on the original Ladysmiths were the S&W trademark and a *.22 S&W CTG.* barrel rollmark. They were not marked Ladysmith or even Made in U.S.A., and IIRC S&W catalogs and box labels actually referred to the gun as the .22 Hand Ejector.

FWIW the cryptic and nonstandard cartridge barrel rollmark is a relic of an attempt to sell S&W-branded ammunition. The guns were designed for black powder .22 Long, and many have been damaged beyond repair by shooting smokeless .22LR in them. Many are also broken in other respects, as the delicate sub-miniature lockwork was never up to the task of double-action fire.

The Ladysmith goes back as far as the 1920's with the creation of the "M" frame S&W Double-action revolver, It was, I believe, chambered for the .22 Long cartridge. It wastiny, petite and suitable for a lady's handbag, or pocket. S&W made a larege number of them.

Howdy Again

The Ladysmith was made in three different models from 1902 until 1921. Yes, they were tiny. They had a 7 shot cylinder and they were chambered for 22 Long, although they should never be fired with modern 22 Long ammo.

LadySmithInHandM_zpsc0bf4acb.jpg

An interesting myth arose about the Ladysmith, that when he found out that the Ladysmith was favored by Ladies of the Night, stern, puritanical old Mr Wesson ordered the model be discontinued. But Daniel Wesson died in 1906 and the Ladysmith continued to be produced until 1921.

Yes, it irks me no end that Smith and Wesson resurrected the name Ladysmith for a 357 Magnum J frame revolver, but if you look carefully, the new version is marked Lady Smith on the frame, whereas the original is always referred to as a Ladysmith.

Just for further clarification, the year S&W changed over to Model Numbers was 1957, not 1958.

CaptainO

That's the "M" frame all right. i wish they would re-create them in the same light "M" frame in .22 Long Rifle. If Smith & Wesson were to do this, both men and women would be lining up around the block to purchase them!

What a hot seller that revolver would be!

44 AMP

Staff
as I understand it, the op was asking which Smith & Wesson handguns actually had the "names" stamped/printed on the gun(s). An interesting question for sure and I'm finding it surprising that so few apparently were so marked.

The OP is asking about S&Ws with names (not model #s) on the BARREL.

Thank you all for the interesting and informative information so far.

So far, it seems that only a small number of models actually had a name marked on the barrel. A few others had a name on the frame. Many had a name, used in discussion, in advertising, in cataloging, but not physically ON the gun.

Interesting that S&W rarely put the "name" of the gun on the outside of the gun (after the intro of model#s virtually all are marked inside, under the crane), Colt nearly always put the name on the gun, usually on the barrel.

The OP is asking about S&Ws with names (not model #s) on the BARREL.

Thank you all for the interesting and informative information so far.

So far, it seems that only a small number of models actually had a name marked on the barrel. A few others had a name on the frame. Many had a name, used in discussion, in advertising, in cataloging, but not physically ON the gun.

Interesting that S&W rarely put the "name" of the gun on the outside of the gun (after the intro of model#s virtually all are marked inside, under the crane), Colt nearly always put the name on the gun, usually on the barrel.

And this fact, that S&W rarely stamped a model name on the gun, is part of what makes collecting Smith and Wessons so interesting. You really have to do your homework to know exactly what it is you are looking at. For the really old ones, the Top Breaks from the 19th Century, they usually did not even stamp the caliber on the gun, so again, you have to know what you are doing if you want to shoot one.

carguychris

CaptainO said:
i wish they would re-create them in the same light "M" frame in .22 Long Rifle. If Smith & Wesson were to do this, both men and women would be lining up around the block to purchase them!
I'm not so confident. As stated in my last post, the M frame lockwork was too delicate to realistically withstand repeated double-action fire, and I'm not sure today's manufacturing technology help much in this regard. It takes a certain amount of force to ignite a rimfire round, and it's difficult to generate this much force with really small levers without placing really high stresses on those parts.

The NAA mini-revolvers are single-action for a reason.

FWIW S&W also had ongoing problems with the pushbutton cylinder release used on the 1st Model as shown in Driftwood's picture, for the same basic reason—the tiny parts were too delicate to withstand normal use. The 2nd and 3rd Models replaced the pushbutton with a plunger on the front locking lug that is pulled forward to release the cylinder.

carguychris

lewwallace said:
Don't forget the Model 25, 1-3(?) barrel marked "Model of 1955"!
Refer post #7. :)

To summarize, here's a comprehensive list of S&W revolvers with a model name on the barrel, at least so far:
  • .357 Magnum
  • .44 Magnum
  • .45 Cal. Model 1955
  • .45 Cal. Model of 1989 [Edited to add this one]
  • Governor
  • Highway Patrolman
  • Mountain Gun [various models]
  • Mountain Lite [various models]
  • Regulation Police [.38 S&W only]

Last edited:

Sevens

Ummm, if the ".45 cal Model of 1955" counts, does the ".45cal Model of 1989" count? Or does it specifically NOT count because the gun is formally stamped Model 625 on the frame?

Referring to the .45 ACP chambered 625 revolvers that had that very specifically lettered on the right side of the barrel.

CaptainO

i could see a .22 Long Rifle in the S&W "I" frame. Not the "improved I" frame but the original "I" frame. The "little" I frame (all slicked up) could hold 8 shots of either .22 LR or .22 WMRF. If it sported a 6" barrel, a .22 Magnum would prove to be a mean PD piece. In .22 lr would be reach into the low end of the .32 Long territory.

Good idea, right? :cool: :D

Bob Wright

Sevens said:
Ummm, if the ".45 cal Model of 1955" counts, does the ".45cal Model of 1989" count? Or does it specifically NOT count because the gun is formally stamped Model 625 on the frame?

Actually, the trade name of that gun was "Model 1955 TARGET", so it should be deleted from the list.

And there were four revolvers "Model 1950." There was the Model 1950 TARGET, Model 1950 MILITARY, Model 1950 TARGET, and the Model 1950 ARMY. The target models were target sighted in .44 Special and .45 ACP; the Military in .44 Special, and the Army in .45 ACP both with fixed sights. All were thus identified as cataloged in the 'Fifties.

Bob Wright