What revolvers did S&W put names on?

44 AMP

Staff
We all know that many S&W revolvers have names, as well as model numbers.

Here's the question, what S&W revolvers have the names ON them? On the barrel, to be specific.

The only one that comes to my mind is the "Highway Patrolman". Are there any others?? Guns MARKED with the name (on the barrel)??

"Airweight" and "Target" are, as far as I can see, applied to more than one model, or variant, so are not "names" in the same sense as Highway Patrolman.

Chief Special, Combat Masterpiece, Combat Magnum, Highway Patrolman, M&P, maybe some others I can't recall right now, these are all names, but only Highway Patrolman seems to have been marked ON the guns, as well as used in the literature.

ANY OTHERS???

(and, just to be clear, the model numbers are "names" BUT they aren't the names I'm talking about)

sandmansans

Smith and Wesson Judge.

That's the only one that I can think of with just a name. The rest are named after calibers. I.e. 460xvr, .500 magnum etc...

James K

Member In Memoriam
With the exception of the Highway Patrolman, the old S&W revolver names were not put on the guns themselves. The .357 Magnum was marked that but as part of the cartridge name, not as the name of the gun.

In recent years, names have been put on the guns, usually with little connection to the model that originally was given that name.

Jim

Jim Watson

The .357 Magnum was marked that but as part of the cartridge name, not as the name of the gun.

I was prepared to debate that because the "S&W .357 Magnum" revolver (later Model 27) is not roll marked "Ctg" as are standard calibers like ".38 S&W Special Ctg" and .22 Long Rifle Ctg." Even the Highway Patrolman is marked ".357 Ctg." beside the "Highway Patrolman" stamp.
Then I saw the "S&W .44 Magnum", no "Ctg" either. OK that gun is the .44 Magnum, that is its name right on the barrel.

Then it all fell apart. The Combat Magnum and the Distinguished Combat Magnum are ALSO roll marked simply "S&W .357 Magnum" without the "Ctg" either. I now figure that "S&W .357 Magnum" is a registered trademark and they have to show it that way.

With the exception of the Highway Patrolman, the old S&W revolver names were not put on the guns themselves.

.45 Cal Model 1955

.45 Cal Model 1955

Model1955barrelmarking_zps68f7f0c0.jpg

gbran

I just went to look at my S&W's. Not seeing any names (as prescribed). I see Airweight on a couple, Performance Center, but no name and no model #s.

Bob Wright

I've always disliked the new designations, such as Model 586 or Model 36, etc. Much preferred Centenniel, Combat Magnum, 1950 Military,etc. over the "Model No.xx".

Bob Wright

lamarw

I am not sure what can be said about the Mountain Guns and the Mountain Lights. The Mountain Gun came in several different Model Numbers and numerous calibers. It is almost like an enhancement name and a descriptor. They had certain features that were standard. Maybe they were akin to the Target Model revolvers and etc.

There is the Terrier, Chief's Special before it became the Model 36, and others that have been mentioned to include the Victory Model. I am a little blurry on all this too.

Then we also have all the coined phrases like the Pre-Victory, Pre-Model 10 and so on. Then there are the Pre-War and Post war dealing more with time periods vs. anything else.

Some of the early S&W revolvers were named the New Departure while commonly referred to as the Lemon Squeezer.

I know I am only touching on a few. There is also something else out there referred to the Kit Gun(s).

Bob Wright

"Pre-Model 10" and such was never one of S&W's names. The Model 10 was the Military & Police Model.

Such names as ".357 Magnum", "Highway Patrolman" and "Combat Masterpiece" conjour up the image of the gun in my mind much quicker than Model 27, or Model 28 does.

Bob Wright

Such names as ".357 Magnum", "Highway Patrolman" and "Combat Masterpiece" conjour up the image of the gun in my mind much quicker than Model 27, or Model 28 does.

Yeah. I always have to stop and think what model the K-38 became.

Model 14-3

model14-3box02_zps33983522.jpg

Then again, I always get a kick out of folks who want to know when there 38 S&W SPECIAL CTG was made.

carguychris

Y'all are forgetting about the .38 Regulation Police; prewar examples were rollmarked "REGULATION POLICE" on the barrel.

Of course—not wanting to make things too consistent or easy to discern—S&W did not normally mark the .32 RP this way, and AFAIK they dropped the marking on postwar production except for the very limited run (~200?) of .38 Regulation Police Target Models that were built using leftover prewar parts. [Edit to add: The SCSW states that some postwar fixed-sight .38 RP's were also built using leftover prewar standard marked barrels.]

Bob Wright

As a matter of interest, the New Century revolver introduced the shrouded ejector rod, and this became sort of standard on "elite" S&W guns to this day. When the British objected to this lug, as it may get filled with mud and prevent closing of the cylinder, S&W shortened it to just the front locking lug.

Ever since, all S&W revolvers named, or hinted at, military or army or Military and Police, have had the short front lug.

Bob Wright

Sevens

I do indeed see the actual printed title of the thread, I will not argue that... but I want to say that we could make somewhat of a case for "actual name of the model" if it was displayed on the box if not on the firearm itself.

Now I will run a bit out of the discussion area... but as a quick example, many or most of us are familiar with the legendary Smith & Wesson ".38 Master", and it would be hard to argue that the semi-automatic .38 Special pistol wasn't named the .38 Master... even though most folks know it better as the Model 52. When S&W dropped the blue two-piece box and moved to the one piece... I think that is when the printed moniker of .38 Master ceased to exist. But perhaps not in the glossy catalog?

This is an interesting topic of discussion, and like most topics of this nature, I always learn a few really cool things from you guys. I hope to hear a few more.

And I will begrudgingly add one revolver just to keep my post in line with the revolver forum:

Don't know if it's the actual name or if it's simply the dumbest phrase S&W ever got the thumbs-up to etch in to the barrel of a revolver. But the big stainless 8-shot N-frame .357 Magnum says ".357 Mag -- Eight Times" on the barrel and I could fill a whole paragraph of my own descriptors of that... precious few of which would escape the clutches of the decency filter. Suffice to say, I think it was a silly thing to stamp on the barrel of a revolver. :(