Right on

"Do you have any guns drugs or large quantities of cash?"
"Can I ask why you have pulled me over?"

"Officer, have I done something to cause you to pull me over?"

"Officer, am I under arrest?"

on and on and on.
Now that's the kind of attitude almost any street savy beat cop could have fun with.................

Maybe I've been extremely lucky in my life, but I just don't buy in to the suggestions given that only make the LE officer's life harder. I grew up in Texas, lived in Colorado, Michigan, Illinios, and now Iowa for several years at each place. I've encountered city, county, and state officials alike. NOT ONCE have I had an officer pidgeon hole me into anything that I didn't deserve. In my early years of driving, my attitude was either making up a stupid excuse or have a chip on my shoulder. Most of the time I ended up with a citation for the reason I was pulled over from the beginning. In my later years, I immediately pulled over, roll down both windows, car turned off and hand on the wheel. I don't even go for my license or registration until asked so the officer can watch my every move. On top of that, I tell him where my hands are going before I make my move. And here's the kicker, I answer any question he asks with a DIRECT answer. When he states the reason why he/she pulled me over and I knew why, I tell the truth. I was an idiot and immediately apologize. I never kiss up, but I always remain courteous. And I've never had an issue when the answer was "yes, I do have a firearm in the vehicle".

Funny thing is, ever since I actually made the officers' life much easier I haven't had one single ticket (knock on wood). Now, maybe I'm the minority here, but I'm willing to bet the one person that has had a bad experience because they simply cooperated with the officer is outnumbered by 100 with a different experience. Has that crossed anyone's mind?

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Funny thing is, ever since I actually made the officers' life much easier I haven't had one single ticket (knock on wood). Now, maybe I'm the minority here, but I'm willing to bet the one person that has had a bad experience because they simply cooperated with the officer is outnumbered by 100 with a different experience. Has that crossed anyone's mind?

It has certainly crossed my mind. In fact, I've had the nearly identical experience you describe. However, I've never had the officers ask me questions like those in the OP either. There are the standard, expected questions and then there's "Are you carrying a lot of cash?" I'm sorry, that is irrelevent and I would not answer that question. They don't really have the right to know where I'm coming or where I'm going either but I tolerate those questions to make my own life easier. Asking me about money during a simple traffic stop is over the line.

One of the reasons I carry a gun is because as a business owner I do sometimes have large amounts if cash. Who says that those 3 things (guns, cash and drugs) go together? Why should I be suspected of having drugs just because I have money and a gun?

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
The "guns, drugs, or large quantity of cash" question is directly a florida anti drug smugglin' thing.
Brent

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
The "guns, drugs, or large quantity of cash" question is directly a florida anti drug smugglin' thing.

I believe it, but it's still wrong headed profiling. What if my pizza shop was in FL? If I get pulled over and I've got cash and a gun then I'm suddenly a drug suspect? Stupid is what that is.

The only certain thing about drugs is the presence of drugs. Armed or unarmed, rich or poor, white or black, cash or plastic... All irrelevent.

I mean, my God! We're going to start searching anyone who acknowledges that they have cash with them during a traffic stop?!

Last edited:

koolminx

Like Tuttle I've NEVER been pulled over for no reason.

Not even when I was in my tinted window kick in LA when it was banned... Now I do admit to this: Officer asked me if I had any gun's or Weapons in the car, and I replied to him "There's probably more gun's and knives in my car than there was in his swat team locker room, but I actually hadn't thought to look through the mess of things as I didn't plan on speeding, it just sort of happened. But, if there are, I am 100% positive they are empty because I'm 23, married and broke!"

He laughed, (it was in Utah) and still gave me a ticket without asking any further questions about it.

We get what we deserve unless we have a chip on our shoulders... Then we get what we deserve... :) :D

chris in va

Funny thing is, ever since I actually made the officers' life much easier I haven't had one single ticket

Yeah, doesn't always work. Previous two pullovers were warnings after doing all the 'correct' things like hands on the steering wheel and interior lights on. Third time though a rookie cop went 'by the book' and ticketed me despite all the courtesies and permit handovers. You could tell he was nervous and trying to remember all the procedures.

Wagonman

I don't think I have ever asked if there were drugs/guns or anything in a car if I have reason to search I search. I also figure if a person's lips are moving on a traffic stop they are lying so whats the use? The only question I ask other than demographics is do you have anything on your person that can hurt me-----and God help you if I prick my finger on your needle or crack pipe!!

poptime

I don't get all the cute ways to decieve or misdirect the officer. If you have a gun in the car, tell him.

Bud Helms

poptime, there is a theme here, whether you picked up on it or not, that the question asked is an intrusion on personal rights, based on possible enforcer reaction to a full, honest answer.

armoredman

Oddly enough, I found a great way to avoid the whole thing - I DON'T SPEED. I obey traffic laws, and drive an unobtrusive generic vehicle. Seems to work quite well, so far.
If I do get asked The Question, (used to mean something a lot differant back in the day!), by street LE I will let everyone know what happens.

farmall

The bottom line, for me is; no search w/o a warrant. My wife is a criminal defense atty and I've seen the messes people have caused by trying to argue fine points of the law with police officers.
WHEN is the last time you ever saw someone talk their way out of going to jail? Or have a cop say something like " Yeah, I guess I was wrong"?

Been stopped many times with guns in the car. The only time I got "hassled" about this was from a young cop in Lincoln, Ne, and I'll admit, If I was the cop, it wouldn't have looked good to me.
Scenario: me in my $100 car with about $1K in X-mas gifts, all pre wrapped, in the back seat, I'm in a not so good area of town (shortcut from visiting a friend) with 2 month expired plates (I'm forgetful). I didn't even really have a gun. I'd just bought a 20" slug BBL for an 870 that afternoon, and had covered it with a coat, then piled presents on top. The cop saw the muzzle protruding from under the coat, probably before he asked if I had any guns ion the car. I answered no, not even thinking about the barrel.
This caused the officer some serious consternation, and he started "baiting" me with questions. I figured out why, and explained that it was a barrel only, and offered to show him, but he declined.
I still ended up with a ticket for invalid registration, but thet got dropped when I registered the car the next day.

Andy

zukiphile

I am always uncomfortable with the idea that everyone should at all times be open and honest in an involuntary encounter with police. It doesn't mean the police are bad people, but you and they may not be working toward the very same objective.

The bottom line, for me is; no search w/o a warrant. My wife is a criminal defense atty and I've seen the messes people have caused by trying to argue fine points of the law with police officers.

There are so many variables in that situation, I would also think it generally unwise to argue the law at the side of the road. If he really asked you if you had a "gun", will he remember it that way? Will a jury punish you for being the kind jerk who corrects police officers on his terminology?

There is no harm in knowing the legal limits of the state during a traffic stop. However, knowing the law may not be the most important part of this individual transaction.

The culture of the person who pulled you over matters. In my state, I've found the state highway patrol to be generally courteous, and almost uniformly honest when testifying.

I was recently almost hit by a city policeman who was speeding and failed to yield in a rotary. He pulled me over to scream at me, and wave his arms around, intermittently putting his hand on his sidearm. I suppose I would have been within my rights to say,"Go back to your car, write yourself a citation, and if you need a witness you have my address", but I think that would only have gotten me a wooden shampoo.

It took me a few minutes, but I spoke gently and was not confrontational. His rage abated, and I was on my way having suffered no greater injury than having served as an uncompensated therapist.

Pressing the law to its limits isn't always the smarter way.

Double J

--I was checked once when I did have a rifle in my car. The officer pulled the rifle out of the gun-case, looked it over. Then asked me where the bolt was. I told him it was in the glovebox rolled up in a dirty diaper,(which it was). The officer said,"I'll take your word for it." And said "Have a nice day."
--You might say some situations stink, but it's best to be honest and tell the truth.

madmag

Not sure of all the legal ramifications, I can just tell you from personal experience. I have been asked two times by LEO if I had a gun in the car. One time was a road block looking for a bank robber, and the other at a hotel entrance. In both cases I was very direct and said "yes". And in both cases the LEO was very polite and said I was not the person they were looking for and "have a nice day". I have several LEO friends, and I can tell you that they could care less about a law abiding citizen having a gun in their car.

Bottom line...I just tell the truth. PS, don't call me from jail if that doesn't work.:)

mrray13

Wagonman said:
I don't think I have ever asked if there were drugs/guns or anything in a car if I have reason to search I search.

i've asked to search a couple of times, but usually only if the driver/passanger is acting in such a way as to make me think they are hiding something. otherwise i search only if i am arresting you for whatever.

Wagonman said:
I also figure if a person's lips are moving on a traffic stop they are lying so whats the use?

lol, yep. seems like everyone from chicago heading south is going to a funeral in memphis and everybody from down south heading chicago is going to a funeral. even had a lady tell me she was speeding due to her recent breast cancer surgery and then pulled out her breasts to show me the scars. dunno what that had to do with anything, but she got her citation anyway.

also, i pretty much write everyone i pull over. although some of the nicer ones do indeed get a warning. of course the great excuse wins too, but the great excuse is few and far between. does that make me a bad cop, or just one doing his job?

and in illinois, if you hand me your ccw, chl, or whatever your state calls it, be prepared to be searched. illinois doesn't recogonize anyone's permit, only those covered by h.r. 218 can carry. and you can lose your sidearm, although i have yet to take one. if you hand me your ccw, inform me you are indeed carrying, then i will ask you to step out of the vehicle, i will remove the sidearm from whereever it is, unload the weapon and take it with me for the remainder of the traffic stop. if it comes back clear, and you do to, i will issue you your citation for whatever i pulled you over for, explain ignorance of the law is no excuse for the carrying, explain how to transport your firearm through illinois next time and kindly inform you where the next rest area is so that you can "freshen up". some states have the ccw printed on the dl now, missouri is one iirc, so "don't ask, don't tell" doesn't always work.

ZeSpectre

Oddly enough, I found a great way to avoid the whole thing - I DON'T SPEED.

Ah if only it were that simple.
I take -very- good care of my vehicles but still things happen like tail-lights or head-lights blown out that you haven't noticed. I was pulled over for "erratic driving" once because I had just had my wheel alignment done and was avoiding a pair of deep manhole covers (We won't even get into a good friend's "driving while black" issues).

Status
Not open for further replies.