what is the most accurate 1000 yard deer caliber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim243

I would like to see what everyone thinks shoots the tightest groups at 1000 yards between say 243 to 308 and also is a good deer rifle caliber.

I love threads like this (LOL) a 1,000 yard deer rifle (LOL), didn't he mean a 1,000 yard dear rifle, when he tries to explain how he spent $5,000 to his wife on a rifle and scope to go deer hunting with (LOL).

But what the heck, I would suggest a 50 BMG for that range, that way he could blow the animal's head off and not damage any of the meat. (LOL)

Me, I like the 243 for deer hunting, say 75 to 300 yards, longer I would probably use my 270 for the shot, but I doubt that I will find a shot longer than 125 yards (my eyes are not that good) too many trees from the forest, for a 1,000 yards I would need the Palomar Telescope (LOL) just to see the animal. (LOL)

But for those 1,000 yard shots, just do what the snipers do use the 338 Lapua Magnum (8.6×70mm or 8.58×70mm) it's only $5.00 per round. (LOL)

Jim

Last edited:

rdavidsonjr

Jimro I appreciate all your info and I am leaning toward 2 guns now after some of our discussions. I am looking hard at building a match grade AR 15 for a little local competitive fun. This of course brings a host of new questions. Also I am probably going to look at a project for my son when he is out of the Corp. and starts his gun smith school. That is what this post is about I just have to throw all the factors on the table on the 243, 6.5,260 and 308 and try to pick one to build. He'll get it eventually anyway after I have a little fun with it. Again thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.