What is the last gun you'd keep?

MeekAndMild

OK, suppose you had to sell all your guns. What is the last gun you'd keep? Not the last 2 or the "last A if X happens or B if Y happens" but the last one.

I think my pick would be my Savage 30-06 as I could use it to hunt anything from rabbits to elk.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
My heart says my Springer Pro or my '66 Colt, but my head says my Model 296, because it's so easy to CCW in so many different ways. I'd give up hunting and target shooting long before I'd give up protecting my bacon...

Regolith

My Remington 870. Can use it to hunt everything from birds, to rabbit to elk. :D

Also makes a pretty slick HD gun too, and it wouldn't be too bad for SHTF either...

cslinger

I have a few sentimental firearms that would pull hard on my heart but If I take those out of the equation then it would likely be my Performance Center Smith 681. That gun is just about the most perfect handgun ever made for me and is capable of doing anything I could ever want in a handgun.

Chris
1035681PC2.JPG

FyredUp

That is a tough damn question.

Boils down to my 10/22 or my Springfield loaded 1911.

Hmmmm....The 1911.

44 AMP

Staff
One that will never leave

Ithaca "flues model", 12ga SxS, bought new by my grandfather in 1909, with 26" barrels, double triggersm choked full and full (per his order), and with the stock made to his specifications (a bit more drop than common). Next year that gun turn 100 years old, and has been in my family the entire time, either in his possession, or (since he passed) in mine.

Eventually, that fine old shotgun will go to one of my grandchildren, when I can no longer use it, but until then, never sold, traded, given away or surrendered, no matter what. I also have some of my father's guns, and I consider some of them in that same category, as he is also in the home of the wind. These are family heirlooms, and will be kept, as long as I live, and beyond, if I am able to do anything about it.

If you are asking about the guns that I have that I would be willing to part with if I needed to, which one of them I would keep for last, I think it would be a toss up, my S&W model 28 (6") .357 would likely be it. However, I am also leaning toward keeping my T/C Contender, and its barrels (9 currently, ranging from .22LR to .45-70) as the most useful for general sporting purposes.

hoytinak

My Glock 19 w/AA .22lr conversion kit also. That way I could use the 9mm for HD/carry and the .22lr for plinking. Like Tamara I'd pick protection over hunting.

King Ghidora

I like my answer - I wouldn't give up all buy one gun. Sorry. Just can't do that. Some might say it beats starving but then again you can feed yourself with a gun as long as there is something left to shoot at. It got down to mighty slim pickings in this area after the depression. The game was hunted out severely. It took 30-40 years for it to come back. I saw one deer in the 1960's. Now I can't drive down my road without dodging half a dozen or more. The squirrels were hunted out. The quail was hunted out and still is. There were no turkey at all. Even the rabbits were way down in population and that's saying something. The way game came back in my lifetime is absolutely amazing. If you had told me that I would live to see flocks of 50-60 turkey in my backyard I'd have laughed in your face. If someone had said I'd see herds of deer that roamed the countryside I would have went into shock. I wouldn't have thought it possible. And I thought coyotes only lived out west. And elk? Even though there's a place not far away called Elkhorn City I just figured they thought it was a colorful name. Who knew when I was a kid that the elk would be back too. Even the bear are back.

The only thing we had as far as wild animals went when I was a kid was bobcats. There were quite a few of those which probably contributed to the low rabbit populations. But I watched as the bobcat were hunted down and killed to where they just didn't exist here anymore. Now there are a few. Maybe I'll live to see them make a comeback too. I have heard cougar cries over the years but I've never seen one. I have seen tracks though. They're out there in very small numbers. Maybe even wolves will make a comeback but I doubt it. The government caught too much flack for bringing back coyotes.

OK if you pressed me I'd keep my bolt action Mossberg 20 ga. shotgun even though I think my 870 is a much better gun. The Mossberg will get the job done though and it's a family heirloom kind of a thing. The poly choke makes it a good choice though. I'd rather have my 870 but I'd take the Mossberg. I'd probably hide my Stevens single shot .22 in a box buried under the building out back though. I'd really hate to part with it. It's another heirloom. Yeah I know. My brother ended up with the good guns but that's ok. I can buy what I want. It just matters where they came from not how much their worth.

dabigguns357

S&W 686 4 inch barrel.no way in heck will i part with it.If someone were to tell me i had to give it up,well i might just have to go out in the middle of the night and bury it in the back yard so no one would find it.I can only hope that when i die my wife will be gracious enough to put it in the casket with me:cool:

SilentHitz

If things were so bad I could only keep one, I agree with Tamara. Self defense comes 1st...so one of my 1911s would be the keeper. I trust the .45 to do it's job, it's proven that during my lifetime and before I was even born.:cool:

Last edited:

MacGille

My M1. Best defense weapon for millions of GIs. Hard hitting, accurate (in my hands). If I have to give up all of my guns but one the SHTF and I'll need the firepower.:)

NRAhab

My Marlin 25M, in .22 Magnum. I would give up protecting my own bacon before I'd give up the first rifle I owned - the rifle that was a gift from my father. Sure, you can buy another used one for $200 beans, but it wouldn't be my rifle. That rifle is worth more than any of my other guns.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Please don't take this as a condescending jab....
I think this thread is more difficult to respond to than the mall ninja zombie attack threads... I don't own many guns and 2 of those are fairly recent possessions. But I know I can't part with my 20 ga Mossberg 500 18 inch barreled gun nor my .22 savage bolt gun as one is my home defense and large game go to essential and the .22 is a freezer filler in time of shtf crisis. I could live without the marlin 336 in .30-30 and the Maverick 88 12 gauge 28 inch barrel. The Ruger MKIII .22/45 is another I would not expect to have to rely on for survival.
Brent

Kreyzhorse

It would be a toss up between my Springfield TRP 1911 or my Mossberg 500. Both would be good for SD while the Mossberg would be better for game.

elza

Two guns I won't sell. Period! My M1 Garand and my Ruger P90. If I were living in a cardboard box I would still have these two.