What Guns Have Had Parts Break Or Fail?

madmag

Colt 1911 pre-70 (purchased new). Trigger broke in the bow area that goes around the mag. Just cracked completely in two. Put in new upgrade trigger.

Rear sight came off on Taurus PT945. Easy fix with loctite.

Ruger GP100 cylinder latch spring plunger broke. The round part came off. Ruger sent a new part. Easy to replace.

Added: SA XD9 I had a couple of the steel cross pins work out of the polymer frame. I just roughed up the pins surface and re-installed. No more problems.

Last edited:

Brian48

I've had a plunger tube come loose with my old custom Essex. This is fairly common with 1911s and I suppose, is expected after heavy use over time. It's easily fixed.

Most recently, I had a new Colt 1991 that came with a firing pin that had somehow missed the heat treatment process. The rear of the FP was peened so badly after just 200+ rounds, it would not fit the hole of the firing pin stop, thus not returning into battery properly.

cheap_pin1.jpg

cheap_pin2.jpg

This in turn was causing feeding issues as the FP was still protruding from the breechface whenever a fresh round was stripped from the mag. Replaced the FP with an Ed Brown "hardcore" one and everything was fine after that.

The Ed Brown is the one on the left obviously.
edbrown1.jpg

edbrown2.jpg

gb_in_ga

Bersa Thunder .380 -- there's this little bitty E-clip that holds the trigger linkage together. I've had that little bugger break on me twice.

csmsss

My POS Jennings J-22 goes through extractors (and extractor springs) like they are going out of style. The extractor itself is a very thin, very soft piece of what I presume to be extraordinarily mild steel, and the spring is also extremely fragile. This is just one of many good reasons to hate this junk pistol, and certainly never to trust any serious work to it.

sheepman

Had a Taurus PT22 break the slide, a Ruger 22 single six break the trigger, a Remington 1100 with a bad elevator and a Glock 19 break the trigger return spring. There have been several revolvers that went out of time, they all wear out or break with use, some sooner than others.---Bill

RocketRider

llama .45,,,,,recoil spring and guide rod shot out,,i think farther than the bullet did,,,in the same instance,,the extractor flew off,,,,,,

buck shot

I broke a firing pin on a Whitney Wolvering .22LR the day I bought it. The gun was used (about 50 years old) and I only had 60 round through it. It was misfiring about every 5th round. I suspect the firing pin was ready to break at any moment. I ordered a new one for $12 + $4 for shipping. Maybe I should have torn it down and looked at individual parts before I bought it. The local shop reimbursed me for my $16, they have a 30 day warranty. Do any of you guys tear a gun apart before you buy it?

jrothWA

new out the box...

Colt Combat Commander, racked the slide back,and the spring plunger tube drops off the frame. Glared at the "Proudly made in the USA by the UAW".

gbelleh

The only guns I've personally had break parts are a Glock 36 that had the recoil spring assembly break apart during fire. It totally locked up the gun and damaged the inside of the frame.

I also had a plunger tube come loose on a Springfield GI 1911.

Also had a CPO Sig 228 that came out of the box with a bent extractor.

rogertc1

Around 1977 my little stainless .22 Sterling pistol that I shot so much a nub on the inside of the grip that held spring in place failed. Had to buy a new LH grip.

Bama46

Shootin my Blackhawk at the range one day, usin .44spl and after emptying a cylinderful, went to use the ejector...it wasn't there. Looked all over, found the ejector, housing spring and finally screw. The screw was wallowed out and only had one thread visible. Luckily the barrel threads were ok... Got a new screw and on more problems