What Guns Have Had Parts Break Or Fail?

SDDL-UP

1911 - broken slide stop, I suspect inferior quality. I replaced it with an Ed Brown slide stop and didn't have any more trouble but I don't have that 1911 anymore (nothing to do with the broken part).

HK USP-40 - broken trigger bar with probably less than 2,000 rounds through it. HK fixed it and I purchased a spare just in case. I still have the gun.

GlockJockey

I've seen one recoil spring assembly break on a Glock 22, and another on a Glock 17T. I've asl seen the extractor claw break on a Glock on a line once.

Molasses

Bought a Star BM out of the influx of surplused Guardia ones several years ago that broke off the bottom portion of the barrel link within my first 200 rds out of it. A buddy bought one around the same time and had the exact same thing happen with his. Both instances were with major name US manufacturer 9mm FMJ (American Eagle, WWB).

Ace_Breaker

I've only had 3 handguns ever break on me and they all happened to be Taurus.

85CH Stainless-broken firing pin the first day I owned it. Returned to store that day for an exchange.

85CH Stainless-broken internal spring at around 100 rounds or so. Had to be sent back to Taurus.

PT145 3rd Gen. Stainless-extractor retaining pin was not properly milled or fitted into the slide. Popped out during firing causing the spring to bounce off never to be found again, extractor also popped off totally disabling the gun. I returned it to my dealer never to look at Taurus again.

rogertc1

The two Taurus issues are an easy fix...but then it is hard to how hard it was used before you bought it ACE.
A Kahr pistol has a lot of issues too..had to junk it
Don't even start on the Glock that blew up.
and the Ruger recalls on their new pistols

Last edited:

L-2

-front sight: G22 plastic pressed-in style; knocked off by officer while drawing from holster.

-bit of plastic from trigger housing: G22 brand-new gun, easily replaced part.

-locking block pin: G23 gun had several thousand rounds (estimated 10,000) without recoil spring change; in easily replaced.

-1911 grip bushing backed out with grip screw. Bushing was destroyed removing it from screw. Bushing was easily replaced.

-SIG P225 mag lips spreading causing mis-feeds. Mag lips temporarily squeezed back together, mags no longer used for carry.

Ace_Breaker

The two Taurus issues are an easy fix...but then it is hard to how hard it was used before you bought it ACE.

All of my Tauri were brand new. The first one was returned to the dealer and they replaced it with another they had in stock. The 2nd I had owned for probably a year before it broke. I'm not a Taurus armorer and they fixed it no questions asked. The 3rd, thank goodness my FFL is a friend, took it back no questions asked. I could have contacted Taurus and fixed it on my own, but the gun shot extremely low and also had many malfunctions. I questioned "why should I deal with this garbage on a new gun???" 3rd strike and Taurus is out in my book.

rogertc1

ACE 60% of my 150+ firearms are used. Really some good vaules in used guns the last couple years. Expecially the ever dissappering all metal pistols. Sorry about your bad luck but it happens to some people.

Ace_Breaker

The troubles with them span over 20 years so it's just a matter of going with something else. I know many people have good luck with them. Too bad I wasn't one of them! I'm very happy with my main carry guns, Hk(city gun) and Glock(woods gun). All of my handguns are really designed for self defense. I can carry about anything I have and trust it. My trips to the range are mostly function and reliablity tests. I don't have any plinkers. If I have problems with a certain brand I tend to stay away from them.

Nice Taurus pic.:D

Skans

Those revolver pics are scary!

I started this thread because it dawned on me that perhaps I was being too harsh in my comments about the Taurus PT-99. Ok, so I had a bad expericnece with it. I've never had any problem with any of my other pistols - maybe I just don't shoot them as much as some other folks.

I tend to shoot the heck out of my Glock17 (countless thousands of rounds through it), and before that I shot the heck out of my Smith 659 (bought it used and I probably about 3000 rounds through it before I switched over to to the Glock as my main weapon). I don't shoot my other 9mm's all that much. I put quite a few rounds through a Ruger MkII and my Desert Eagle .44.

I've been reading the responses with great interest. I guess you just don't know if you have a good reliable pistol that you can trust until you shoot the heck out of it.

Last edited:

armoredman

Glock 17 cracking the slide under the ejection port, watched a Kimber break the slide stop under 100 rounds, had a Springfield V-10 shoot the front sight off, Colt 1911 shot of front sight and lost recoil spring, bushing and plug downrange. 1908 Artillery Luger lost irreplaceable front sight at our range - little girl found it the next day - that was one relieved guy.
Craziest was a chinese made pump shotgun. First time used, the mag cap and mag spring shot downrange during a pistol/shotgun match. One week later the guy showed up, having had it repaired, fired one string of 5, and as I watched, (being the RO), the barrel slowly tipped forward and fell off. Needless to say, after the guy had the barrel replaced, it went bye-bye.

David the Gnome

My Kahr CW9 kept breaking magazine followers which was a fault of the magazines, not the gun. Unfortunately there are no quality aftermarket options for magazines for the Kahr so I was forced to part ways with it, slim and comfy though it may be.

BlindFaith

My Ruger SP-101 snapped a Transfer Bar while dry firing.
I Replaced it through Brownells for $5.40 and shipping.
IMO inexcusible metallurgy from Ruger.
I like the gun, and still have it.
Trust it: Never

hemiram

Had a few over the years, I had a Beretta 84 I bought used, as are most of the guns I buy, and the rear sight just flew off and hit my shoulder and dissapeared. We looked and looked for it, and couldn't find it. Finally, I gave up, and I was going to order one from Beretta. A couple hours after I got home, the range calls and said they found it in a bucket full of 9mm brass that had been sitting a LONG way from where I was shooting. I had the smith there put it back on, and it never came off again.

I had a really horrible little gun, an FTL Auto-Nine. If you didn't use .22 "standard Velocity" ammo in it, off went the extractor. Sent it back, found the right ammo, and off it went again. They told me I had to use XXXX ONLY ammo, or my warranty would be voided. I sold it on consignment, with the note from FTL in the box, with a 50 rd box of the stuff they said to use, and the dope who bought it put stingers in it anyway, and blew off another extractor. Not my problem at this point, I was glad to say goodbye to the thing, it was totally unreliable anyway.

I had an S&W 59 that looked and shot great, but suddenly, the safety came apart while shooting, and the control part bounced accross the range, it had sheared off, and when looked at closely, was obviously badly cast in the first place. S&W sent me a new one, and also gave me a mag tossed into the box.

Oh, I forgot, on one of my DW model 15-2's, the cylinder stop came out and I went and dimpled it slightly, and used the loctite stud lock and a press to put it back in. It never came out again.

M. Riggs

To Hell & Back Reliabillity defeated by washcloth

SIG P226 .40 S&W. Wiping it down one night - front sight fell off. Awesome.

Sold it the next morning. Bought a Beretta M92FS with the money.