What Gun Would You Use?

G'day. I have done a little research on the pig shot by the boy with the pistol. It is from the US, was a farm pig let loose for a controlled 'hunt', The three photos of the other pig seem to be another controlled 'hunt' with an 'imported' pig. Either way, they are still big pigs that I would be very cautious of.

Inspector3711

Come on now... Be a real man and go after a true beast:

c9a42ff2-b2a3-43b8-bdb1-6f2fdc6da5a8.jpg

Nothing more fierce than the jackalope....

Para Bellum

W. D. M. Bell, who shot 1,011 elephants using a 7x57mm rifle

7x57 = 7mm Mauser
The ballistics of the 7x57mm became popular with deer and plains game hunters. The relatively flat trajectory and manageable recoil ensured its place as a sportsman's cartridge. The 7x57mm can offer very good penetrating ability due to a fast twist rate that enables it to fire long, heavy bullets with a high sectional density. This made it popular in Africa, where it was used on animals up to and including elephants, for which it was particularly favoured by noted ivory hunter W. D. M. Bell, who shot 1,011 elephants using a 7x57mm rifle, when most ivory hunters were using larger-caliber rifles.
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7x57mm_Mauser

sc928porsche

Dont you just love the way that people use cameras and distance. Put you target up close and your background further back. I saw a picture of a man holding up the statue of liberty once.

Inspector3711

W. D. M. Bell, who shot 1,011 elephants using a 7x57mm rifle

And he should have stopped much sooner. Last I heard the elephants aren't quite as plentiful these days. Why would you need to kill that many? How much ivory does a guy need to sell? I've got nothing against a guy bagging an animal mind you....

antoset

300 Wsm

This isn't a hoax I live in western australia, ive seen pigs like this before. A simple .223 to the head would do the trick but having a 300WSM would be a comforting feeling walking through the bush !!

HiBC

On Karamojo Bell and elephants

Myself,I have no interest in shooting elephants,rhinos,big cats,zebras,girrafe,etc.Maybe some antelope,or a Cape Buffalo.I enjoy the idea of shooting these hogs,as they are feral and need to be controlled.

But,Karamojo Bell was from a different time.I have read his books,and they are quite good reading.Robert Ruark wrote about shooting an old elephant,with an interesting point of view about what sort of fate nature holds for the aged creature,and that a quick bullet is not so unkind.
Teddy Roosevelt collected one of about everything,but then,he did set aside the national parks.These men were not so wrong,it was a different time.

I also would not be interested in hide hunting bison,but it is interesting to read accounts of the old buffalo hunters in Black Powder Cartridge News.
And,an honest ,on foot stalk of a fairly wild buff with a black powder rifle is on my list

Shaun_300

How heavy are those freakin' things?!:eek: They sure look huge! I'd be taking my .300 WSM out for those things. If not bigger!:D

James R. Burke

I am not sure if they make the 325 grain I am using now. But for me it would be my .416 rem mag 325 grain pure copper Barnes (no jacket) with RL-19 moving at 2900 f.p.s. It would go thru it length ways, just like it does on big bears. It is a max load so you really need to be carefull working it up, and having a good gun to handle that type of load. My is a Ruger No 1 tropical. I dont give out load data just in case of a typo, I always get the manual or try there web site for info. Nice Hog!!!!!