What Gun Would You Use?

jesus5150

Um... Probably claymores... I wouldn't want to mess with that thing. Had a pot bellied pig once, bit me right on the finger... Don't mess with pigs man, they just don't give a ****

G'day. I'm sure I have seen this photo around before. The information supplied is all I have. Lets just assume it has not been through the photo shop or scale down truck and midget used.
I have a .270, that I plan to load 130 gr SBT at around 2800 f/s.
No, I don't expect to come across pigs this size. Just not experienced with taking the bigger animals of any breed and wanted some input.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
12ga with deer slugs. I'm reasonably confident I could cleanly kill any animal on the planet, with the POSSIBLE exception of elephants.

Para Bellum

7x57 with RWS HMK

7x57 with RWS HMK (works on any game):

rws_geschosse_hm_zahlen.png

gelatine_gelee_hm.jpg

And I'd make sure not to get too close too soon.

MeekAndMild

Here in the US I think I'd either use a .30-06 or a .35 Whelen. If I was in Australia I'd probably go with .303 Enfield. Australians, from what I hear, have taken Enfield shooting to a level greater than anywhere else in the world. ;)

butta9999

Skulls

Hey skulls my best mate has a tikka in .270, he does not reload only uses factory loads. 130gr winchester SP and remington coreloks. He has taken a trophy buffalo, several sambar deer, 13 point red deer, and many trophy pigs.

The buffalo took two shots first was from about 70yds, clean broadside. the buff went 100m before he went down, the second shot was a finish shot to be safe. The buff was dead on the first though.

He has some brilliant sambar trophies which have only taken the first shot for the kill.

The .270 is a wicked caliber.

one-shot-one

using what is in the safe:

i'd feel very comfortable with:
45-70 w/425 gr. hard cast lead
308 w/ 165 gr partition
30-06 w/ """""""""""""""""
300 wsm w/ 180 gr partition

would still try to bring him down with:
6.5x55 with 139 gr normas
44 mag rifle w/ 300 gr hard cast (inside 75 yards);)

butta9999

sorry but a pig that looks like it weighs more than 2 tons, and is bigger than my mates northern territory buff. To me that would make news around the world. At least in the news papers

It's gone a little too far. And the fact that there is no recorded weights included in these photos.

hardhit

Iv shot stacks of pig’s im sure that one has been photo shopped cos iv seen this photo before, Newman Pilbara Region of north west Aust is a Hot dry place and I would be surprised if a pig could attain that size in those condition’s as I worked in mining in that area only a year ago. The 243 with 100 gr Partition on up to 308 with 165 gr will take out any pig.

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 51
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 44