What Gun Would You Use?

G'day, just got this photo in an e-mail and thought I should share it with you good folk.
What size gun would you chose to take this beast?
What minimum size gun would you choose?
What type of projectile would you recommend and why?
Who else has photos of big pigs? please post them.

CAUGHT IN WESTERN AUSTRALIA

You might think twice next time about wandering around
in the scrub.

This wild pig was caught in Western Australia ,
Roy Hill Station, Newman.(Pilbara Region)

They only caught it because their dogs were going missing -
it was eating their dogs!

bigpig.jpg

ZeSpectre

I thought they basically couldn't have guns in Australia these days.

Personally if I saw a pig that big I'd use the TRUCK :D

Buzzcook

Hogzilla was an internet hoax. Not too sure about this one cause I've seen pigs that big and larger on farms.

Of the guns I have I think the 20ga with slugs close up, the .30-06 if it was at a safe distance.

butta9999

skulls

I would use my trusty .300 win mag probably loaded with my 200gr woodleigh weldcore. That is my sambar load. Any good chest or neck shot would take it down. 180 accubond would also be sufficent dojgn about 3000fps.

Minimum would be my .243 with my 100gr hornady interlock, neck shot would do the job.

Was there any info on the weight of the giant boar

jhgreasemonkey

Monsterquest the tv series did an interesting show on monster hogs. The scientist who reviewed all of the so called moster hog cases in the US believed that all of the huge ones like that were farm raised hogs that were set free or escaped after they grew to their huge size. According to these guys, hogs in the wild are typicaly not getting enough nutrients to reach much over 200-300 lbs. Apparently the bone structure of the skull, jaw and teeth is a tell tale sign if the hog was truly feral.

HiBC

I believe that truck holding a huge hog was posted before,and,as I recall the gentleman recomended a .303 British.

With a good ,penetrating bullet,any ww1 or 2 battlerifle cartridge would do.A 7 or 8 by 57,a 303,a 30-40 Krag,30-06

Say ,in .30,a 180 gr bullet at 2400?

However,I neck .458 down to .375 ,a .375 Chatfield Taylor.I suppose that is what I would use.

A strong 45-70 lever action would work well.

phil mcwilliam

I'd use my 308 with 150 grain bullets ,like I use for everthing else I've hunted in Australia., but with a monster like this I'd still try for a behind the ear shot if possible. I've dropped water buffalo & scrub bulls with the 308 in outback Australia so I think there would be enough steam, even for a pig of this size.
I believe the posted photo is fair-dinkum but you have to realize the jib is tilting the hog towards the camera,& the guy is standing in the background to make the pig look big. It was also cover edition of shooting magazines about 2 years ago in Australia. I also think the dog-eating bit was tagged onto the original photo from the interview.
As no pig species is native to Australia, all wild pigs are a mixture of domestic , asian, & European breeds. In western NSW there are areas where stations have tens of thousands of acres of wheat where the mobs of pigs can hide & feed on grain all day.
Some years ago I was on a guided pig hunt in the Top End of Australia on a remote million acre property. The feral pigs were plentiful, with a 5 day, fly in fly out trip, getting us 50 plus boars between us. All the boars had excellent ivory, with 3 to 4 inches showing, being the average. Although they all had good tusks, the body size was only medium say 130 pound. One day out on a remote lake we saw a Huge "show winner"500 pound pink domestic pig. The guide sheepishly asked me not to shoot it & admitted to letting this sow loose the previous year to try & improve body size of the"wild" pigs.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Smallgame, Lemme know how that buckshot thing works out for you...:D
I would use a .22lr at point blank range 'twift the eyes...
Brent

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Greasemonkey...
The show that shows a guy in bib overalls with dogs is one I have seen. He is a great guy in texas.
The jaw thing mentioned is a small incisor located right behind the bottom tusks. If present, the hog is not truly of russian/euro pure blood.... it is a hybrid. I have never personally seen a hog without it.
Skull shape is different on the first couple generations at most from an escaped pig. The word feral is loosely used since once a pig escapes and eats, poops and sleeps one time... IMHO he is feral:)
After a generation or two of piglets, the heads will be narrower and longer to aid in rooting. Adaptation at its finest...
Brent

FrontSight

400 pounder at tioga this past spring...this is JUST THE SKIN!

buddy shot it with a bow, 4 arrows...

Attachments

• Sal's Boar.jpg
    Sal's Boar.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 142

kmrcstintn

.300 wsm with a bonded 180gr load that was a dddeeeeeeppp penetrator only cuz I gots one; if I had a .30-06 I would opt for a heavy 180gr or 220gr bonded bullet

Inspector3711

I'd use a real mans cartridge... Yessir... The .22LR... Catch him while he's sleepin and give him a tiny pill up the nose:D

I dunno.... .300 win mag minimum for me... Them suckers are mean.