What exactly happens when you hit somebody with over 1,000lumens at night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBid

Instinct and protective reflex can be powerful things. In the absence of other things, you can still make use of *time*. While a prepared person may easily look into a 150 lumen light and reason through it, a person who is surprised by one will typically turn away, throw hands in front of their eyes, etc. Regardless of their specific physical response, their brain may also take 1-3 seconds to resolve the surprise. In any case, you may gain a couple seconds, and take them out of their violent 'script'.

Ben Towe

Instinct and protective reflex can be powerful things. In the absence of other things, you can still make use of *time*. While a prepared person may easily look into a 150 lumen light and reason through it, a person who is surprised by one will typically turn away, throw hands in front of their eyes, etc. Regardless of their specific physical response, their brain may also take 1-3 seconds to resolve the surprise. In any case, you may gain a couple seconds, and take them out of their violent 'script'.

Three seconds is an eternity if it is wisely utilized. You can escape, disarm or disable (depending on the situation) a threat in that length of time.

thesecond

I'd look at what a flashlight 'says', and what it doesn't 'do' ....

.... before focusing on what it does do .... and then having to realize there were many other things you should have done, and plenty of things you now should and must do.

Used in conjunction with your eyes, a light can help 'tell' you things. It also can 'tell' potential assailants a few things. And, likewise, it can 'tell' others in the nearby vicinity a few things. But it will never, on its own, 'speak' with such authority as to end an attack already decided upon and initiated.

And so one will ask, what were you doing before, and what will you be doing after, flashing a light?

I'd focus on gathering intel on everything you plan to see, and make planned and deliberate choices about transportation to and fro .... so you aren't found where you hadn't planned to be, and you know where the bad would have you go.

Must be one heckuva lady. I hope she knows how much you've been thinking about this trip, and why, and that she has or will develop an appreciation, rather than a resentment, for it.

Get your maps, a 300+ lumen light with a tailcap, keep the cell phones charged, enjoy yourself, and stay safe! :)

Rikakiah

And so one will ask, what were you doing before, and what will you be doing after, flashing a light?

I think this is the crux of it. If you're relying on the power of the light to save you, you're gonna be disappointed. However, I agree it can be useful against one (maybe two, situation favoring it) attackers to give you the time to make your next move, be it flight or aggression.

I've got a Fenix PD32 that I like. It has 5 powers, up to 740 lumens, I believe. I hit myself with a quick burst in the mirror after being in the dark for a minute (eyes weren't fully acclimated). I could tell exactly where the light was and could probably fumble my way to it, no matter it being a little painful. However, I had it on less than a second and when it went off, my world went BLACK. If someone was at the light point, they had a good second, even under my prepared condition that they could've moved to the side and been gone or on me without me seeing.

Now, there's several tactics you can employ and an even more powerful light will cause more pain, but a determined attacker will likely be able to close the distance to the light. If that's all you're relying on, it won't matter that he's a bit dazed-he's on you and angry. Have a plan of what your action is immediately after you turn it on.

Personally, if I'm that worried about an attack and can't carry a legitimate weapon, I'd take some practical-focused self-defense/hand to hand combat classes.

markj

Yeah, but now add a fast randomized strobe effect. And keep it pointed directly in their eyes.

That hurts, try it in a dark room after the eyes adjust. Will be very disorienting.

tomhy1911

This might sound dumb but cant u ship it to your hotel so its their when you arrive and mail it back home when you leave?
I didn't know flashlights got so bright, I gotta have one!

Scouse

Stick the thing in checked baggage and you will be fine getting it in.

If you somehow end up being questioned by a copper once in London, do not, under any circumstances, indicate that anything you are carrying is for self defence. Although proportionate acts of self defence are as legal as in the US, any act that indicates preparation of violence in advance, even defensive violence, is considered 'offensive', and can get you arrested.

Sure this has been said, but to reiterate, do not carry anything with a crenelated bezel and do not wander the streets with a 4D Maglite or similar.

Sure this has been said, but to reiterate, do not carry anything with a crenelated bezel and do not wander the streets with a 4D Maglite or similar.

Really? What is wrong with crenulated bezels? You can certainly buy such flashlight (torches) in GB with crenulations. The crenulations are an auto windshield glass breaker. They you to place the light bell down with it on such that it will still emit light and not overheat.

A brief review of British flashlight forums on carrying just about anything for self defense makes it a weapon and hence illegal. The crenulations don't make it illegal. The number of batteries don't make it illegal. The lumens don't make it illegal.

Scouse

All fully true DNS, however "offensive" is in the judgement of the copper on the street, and crenelated bezels are often advertised as additions to make a torch more useful for defence. Sure you can argue it is a glass breaker, might be fine, but it might get you arrested. The law specifically criminalises carrying anything modified or adapted for defensive purposes, so crenelated bezels do represent a risk in this sense. You can buy all sorts of things that would be illegal to carry without lawful reason, which does not include just wanting to or protection.

Big Maglites are the same. They are rubbish as torches by modern standards, unless upgraded, however they can make excellent clubs. Copper might not have a problem, but wandering London on foot, he really might.

Status
Not open for further replies.