What do you look for in your second AR-15? Or third or fourth

Reloadron

What do you look for in your second AR-15? Or third or fourth?

For the most part all of my AR guns are about as Plain Jane as can be.
AR%20Family%201.png

Left to right are a pair of Colt SP1 1970s rifles being my nostalgia blood, followed by a Colt Target Sporter and the only AR I own with a scope being a Double Star lower with a Kreiger custom barrel and the last being an Armalite AR10(T) in .308 Winchester set up for match with custom sights. I view the AR much like a truck or motorcycle in thet we tend to make them what we like and what reflects our taste.

AR10%201.png

While the AR10 has not seen a scope in 20 years I have the scope and original iron sights.

AR%2010%20Scope.png

Unless another AR falls into my lap I figure I am done. :)

Ron

mavracer

My first was a Colt AR15 A2 govt, I changed it to a flattop and installed a heavy barrel (before anyone flames me for jacking up a rare Colt this was 20+ years ago) I later took it back to A2 configuration with a White Oak service match upper and it's still in this configuration.
My second was an Olympic carbine that went thru a few mods.
Then I made the mistake of thinking I needed to build one and caught black rifle disease.
First was a Smith lowered 300 Blackout 16", it has gone thru a few changes and now wears a 14.5" barrel with a permanently attached linear comp/faux can.
Next was a RECCE inspired build around a 16" White Oak barrel again it's gone thru a few changes and currently is a Sota billet lower Stoner billet side charger upper has a Geissele trigger and Leopold 3-9X Mod 1.
Someplace in there I bought a Mini 14 target that's also been modified quite a bit and later sold the Olympic.
Then I decided to replace the Olympic and built another 16" lightweight only to realize again why I sold the dang thing in the first place, my RECCE would do everything better and only weighed a smidge more. So it was sold luckily in the 2008 banic.
Then I built a DPMS SASS inspired 308 on a Aero Precision upper/lower combo
Then a M4gery only to finely realize I didn't need this configuration and nearly immediately sold it to finance doing a retro A1 on my Colt lower and use a new Anderson Molon Labe etched lower for my service match, of course when I actually went to look at my old Colt I realized/remembered it was marked A2 and should stay an A2.
The Molon Labe lower was eventually built into a pistol with a Mk18 inspired upper and at the same time I built a even shorter 300 blackout pistol upper, was just going to use both on same lower but of course after they're built might as well toss another lower together for a complete gun.
Then service match rules were changed to allow optics so an A4ish optics ready match rifle was next.
Then while working up loads for the 308 realized I wasn't going to get 1K accurate velocity from the 18.5" SASS barrel and why have a 15# rifle bla bla bla screw excuses I want a 1k capable AR and I have 243 dies and ammo and no 243 since my brother tactfully acquired my old interarms Mk X and besides PSA has a really short 14.7" barrel for $100 shipped.
So the SASS barrel is sold and I now have a amazing CQB 308 AR and a 24" barreled 1-7 5R twist 243 built on a PSA upper/lower combo.
In the midst of financing this project I sold my 5.56 pistol to a buddy, well this buddy bought 3 of the Sota lowers, for payment for me swapping the lowers over on the pistol and his other 2 ARs he lets me have my lower back.
That lower is now a XM177 inspired carbine.
I've also in the process built my dad a ultra light carbine, my BIL a M4gery and my daughter a muddy girl carbine.

Kevin Rohrer

My first one was a regular, Colt AR15A1, like what I carried in the Army. My second one was quality built in another caliber: 458 SOCOM, which is my home defense rifle.

Happy 4th of July!

Eazyeach

OP again, well I know I said I didn't like front sight posts on my ARs and I just sold a Colt 6920, but my LGS was selling Colt 6720s for $799. One came home with me. I like it so much better than my old 6920. Handles much better. Now it will be my HD rifle if I can get used to using my eotech with a front sight. And my BCM/S&W will wear a 2-7 leupold as a general use/plinking gun.

I think I've got my collection where I want it. For now.

Hk 416 /22LR pistol
S&W MP15-22
Remington r-15 vtr
BCM/S&W mid length
Colt 6720. Good times

Happy Independence Day!!

DubC-Hicks

Honestly I build so many and end up changing them all later on, that I don't know what I even look for anymore. My first was a bare bones Spikes M4. Then I built a 20" rifle with 3-9x scope for varmint hunting, which I never did. Then sold the Spikes and built a 14.7 middy. Then sold the 20" and built an M16A4 clone. Then turned the M16A4 clone into an M16A2 clone. Then built a lightweight SPR style. And now I'm building a super lightweight 14.5 pinned and welded. All in 5.56 too, since I don't hunt much anymore and I like ammo and magazine commonality.

My next next might be a piston driven 6.5 Grendel, since Wolf is now making cheap plinking ammo.

pete2

My first is a Rock River 20" rifle.
Next comes a 16" Rock River upper on a Ruger lower with the Ruger 2 stage trigger. The upper and lower are on order, both on the cheap, upper 325.00 and the lower 228.00. I think an Ultradot Match Dot sight on it tho not decided yet.

ndking1126

My first AR was a 5.56 SPR type rifle, but I spent too much effort trying to make it a do it all gun. So, it does nothing great, and is too heavy.

Nathan, great point about wanting one gun to do too much. Looking back, the guns I liked the least were guns I was hoping would do a lot. The guns I like the most are the ones that do one or two things really well.

With that in mind, my first AR was a 16" 300 BLK with 1-4 Vortex Viper PST. Strangely, it seems to defy my first statement because it isn't great at anything but is still so much fun.

My next will likely be something in a heavy barrel for longer range (which is my favorite type of shooting). I have a 26" bolt action in 260 Rem, so it may be geared more to varmint hunting.. we'll see!

Ibmikey

I have 38 AR's, all different and all fun shooters, waiting for my return from a couple months of hog shooting is an Aero special 1776 edition upper and lower that I will build into a light Carbine " truck gun". Most parts will be Aero and Magpul, have not quite decided on the barrel profile but Aero or Ballistic Advantage (owned by Aero) will be my choice. A 13" ALG, BCM or MI super slim rail should handle the heat issues from the barrel ( unless prolonged firing).
I enjoy assembling and shooting my AR's and none are exempt from modification if I find something new or intriguing.

Emerson Biggies

I'd like to own an AR. I remember when you could buy a Colt AR for $208. At the time I figured that was too much for a simple rifle, even if it had a famous name. Then prices skyrocketed to over $1000. Now that the market has subsided I see the Del-Ton AR for $399.00 with free shipping. Can the lowest prices be far off? Should I buy now? Why would I want to build an AR when I can buy the finished product for less money?
Enquiring minds want to know! :)