What do you look for in your second AR-15? Or third or fourth

stephen426

My first was a Colt HBAR that was purchased during the "assault weapons" ban. That meant no collapsible stock, bayonet lug, or flash suppressor. I bought it for high-power matches so I wasn't concerned about any of the "missing" features.

My second AR was an "accident" as I wandered into the pre-owned guns section of a Gander Mountain and my S&W M&P Sport followed me home. It had the collapsible stock, flash suppressor, and bayonet lug that the first rifle was missing. Now I need to find a bayonet for it :p. It is a lot lighter and compact than my "full size" AR, but it still has a heavy barrel.

If I was to buy a third, I would probably get one in .22 LR or get an upper for 9mm, 6.8 SPC, or both.

Eazyeach

OP here. Awesome responses.
I started with a S&W sport. The original without dust cover and forward assist. I couldn't have been more excited. Took it to the range and got every shot on an 8" target at 100 yards thefirst 3-4mags with iron sights. Probably ended up putting 500-600 flawless rounds through it.

Then I learned it wasn't a cool AR because of the Internet. Lol. So I upgraded with a BCM 16" LW upper and put an Eotech on it. Found a complete lower for the sport upper and that was my back up. Around that time I picked up a S&W MP 15-22 and put about 1000 rds through that. Sold my back up and bought a Colt 6920.

Recently I got a Remington r-15 for varmint and predator hunting. And got rid of the 6920. Once I got a complete flat top gun I never wanted a front sight post again. So now I need a new 16-18" back up gun. Thought I wanted a PCC a couple times but couldn't ever keep em.
I really really want a Daniel Defense but my gun funds are too low right now.

Rob228

I look for something my other ARs can't do. My first was a Rock River M4 clone back in 06 or so. My second was an Armalite 10" folder with a SIG brace. My next will be an AR10, most likely Armalite.

44caliberkid

I build my own and it is a matter of aesthetics (looks cool, mean) and different calibers. So far I have 5.56, 6.8, 300 Blackout pistol, and 458 Socom. I try to use high quality parts.

hdwhit

I bought two S&W M&P-15 Sport IIs in 2016. They will go to my sons when they are each in a position to be able to securely take custody of it. So, what I looked for was a second AR that was identical to the first. And if I went back to buy another AR (for myself), I would probably buy another Sport II because of how pleased I have been with the first two.

sevt_chevelle

Right now I have 3 working ARs. My first one was a Colt 6920, Ive swapped out the furniture installed a better trigger and for optics I run a Aimpoint PRO. My second AR I built, it's a SPRish build with a 18in stainless barrell Giessle trigger and a 6-24 optic. My third AR is a light weight build with a 16in middy pencil barrel and irons.

Currently in my state, deer hunting is shotgun or muzzle loader only, but they are looking to pass a bill that would allow you to use straight walled cartridges. If that passes I'll build a 450 bushmaster AR.

I also have 4-6 lowers laying about and 3-4 BCGs.

JoeSixpack

Well Im still working on my 1st, 2nd, and now 3rd build all at the same time.

It started off with 2 builds.. 1 rifle, 1 pistol.
But the prices are so good right now I somehow talked my self into a 3rd build.. a 2nd rifle.

the 2nd rifle will be a "beater" gun, cheaper optic (been hearing great things about 20$ field sports), I'll feed it steel cased crap.
The 1st and 2nd will likely just be fed brass as I intend to get into reloading before long.

At first I was gonna try to go with a retro build for the 3rd build but It seems that is somehow going to be more expensive.. then the usual flat top, carbine butt stock setup most peopel want.. I guess it must boil down to economics of scale.

all 3 builds will be flat tops with some sort of quad rail.. the 2 rifles will be keymod handguards, not sure about the pistol yet.

all 3 builds will initially be pistol so I can legally convert between pistol/rifle.
all 3 builds will have red dots, the ranges I goto usually max out at 1-200 yards, 300 at the most.

COSteve

My 1st AR (after the one I had in the Army in 1969) was an RRA mid-length gas carbine which I modified to a light weight barrel profile and shortened it to 14.7" w/pinned FH to use it as a lightweight irons shooter (5lbs, 15oz as below w/o mag). So much for my 1st AR.

Later, I decided I wanted a second AR to shoot longer range than practical with irons so I got myself an RRA A4, scoped it and added walnut furniture and a hand made walnut pistol grip to use it for 400+yd apple shooting (the walnut is a more unique way to add a bit of weight to make it more steady). BTW, a bag of medium apples is cheap and make great reactive targets that you don't have to police up at the end of the shoot.

The moral is that it makes sense to define a purpose for your AR and set it up to be optimal for that purpose rather than having a 'jack of all trades, master of none' AR that doesn't do anything well. Then, for a second, or third AR, pick a different purpose and set it up to be optimal for that purpose. That way you'll be more happy with your results.

Two different ARs, two different purposes. Both do what they were designed to do very well:

DSCN2956%20-%20Copy_zps6cblaqn3.jpg

TrueBlue711

My first AR was a lightweight 5.56 carbine build w/ a 1-4x scope. Pretty common build, good entry AR. I use it for close to medium range hunting in the desert for coyotes. My second build was an AR pistol in 300 AAC Blackout w/ a red dot. Great truck and/or bedside gun that I plan on suppressing too. I plan on making my third build a heavier 5.56 or 6.5 Grendel with longer barrel, heavier stock and more powerful scope for the purpose of shooting longer distances.
As long as each of my guns are different, I'm happy. I'm not one to have 2 guns that are almost exactly the same. But as I always say, to each their own!

rpseraph

I have built both of my ARs.

The first is an 18" SPR build that has a scope and is set up for hunting Coyote (200-400 yds). RRA 2-stage trigger. Love it! Mix/match FDE coloring.

The second is a 16", red dot build. Tons of fun, set up for home defense and whatever else :)

LOVE putting them together

jonnyc

My first was a crappy M16A1 back in the 1980s. I got it free and fortunately the govt. took it back when I was done with it. Spent most of my time in really sandy places and I hated the oft-jamming thing.
Now 30 years later and I'm working part-time in a gun shop. I get a great deal on bits so I decided to give the platform another try. I just built my second; a 16" mid-length in 5.56, with Magpul furniture and an MBUS rear sight.
For #3, I'm thinking I would like to go with an 18" 6.5 Grendel upper, or a complete 6.5 Gr. with an A2 stock.

the possum

I'm not really an AR guy. I picked up a Windham Weaponry flattop carbine in between panics because the prices had come back down (paid $535 then), and intended to put it back just in case my daughter ever wanted one some day.

Then last fall when everyone was sure Hillary would win, I decided to buy another gun just to piss off the liberals. I wanted something with more power and capability than .223, but have no desire to limit myself to rounds that cost a buck a shot. So I got a S&W M&P-10 in .308. I settled on that one because it only weighs a pound more than a basic AR-15, and the pencil barrel (beyond the gas block) makes it seem even lighter and better handling for what it is.

But I still haven't shot either of them very much. It has never made sense to me to have three separate controls to do the same job as the simple charging handle on the hunting guns I grew up with. So my FNAR gets more attention these days. If I wanna do a bunch of blasting for cheap, my SKS and Mosin get the nod.

FloridaGuy

My first AR was purchased back in 20?? when all the crap was going down about banning them. It is just the run of the mill AR. I have swapped out most of the original furniture so now it is a grey and black rifle.

My second AR was my first build. It is a SBR chambered in .300 blackout. It now is sporting a Vortex spitfire 1x scope.

My third AR was also a custom build with a 16" barrel and a Binary Trigger chambered in .300 blackout. It has a Vortex Strike Eagle scope mounted on her right now. This build was done in red anodized aluminum furniture with a black barrel and lower and upper.

My fourth build is going to be chambered in 5.56. It is going to have a 16" stainless steel fluted twisted barrel. All the furniture is going to be blue anodized aluminum.

Also planning a build either in .458 Socom or .50 Boewulf.

dean1818

Having a second AR15 that shoots the 223, seems boring. (Thats just me)

I have a 223 and a 6.8

I have an upper that needs built..... thinking 358 Yeti

I am waiting to see how the load development goes....... (On the side of the pool, wanting to make sure the water.... is JUST right.... :) )