What do you look for in your second AR-15? Or third or fourth

Eazyeach

We have all read 100 threads about people searching for their 1st AR. But as we all know two is one and one is none. So I was wondering what people look for in a subsequent rifle.

Do you buy the same quality or skimp a little? Or splurge and get a better rifle? Do you set it up identical as your home defense/shtf gun? Same caliber? Etc etc.

Just thought it would be fun to learn other folks' AR progressions. I'll chime in later with how my AR journey has gone so far.

dakota.potts

My basic AR is an 18" 5.56 with iron sights that I can use for a variety of different things, including leaving it set up for home defense. I have considered turning it into a target/competition set up, but I want to have the general use ability to fall back on. If I were going to get another AR, it would be set up for that. If I were going to with a third and fourth, I might think about a short pistol version and a .22LR set up. I don't have any particular leaning towards more ARs and for me there are too many other guns I'd like to continue putting moneys in more ARs without a good reason... but we have market choices for a reason.

CalmerThanYou

After I decide on my next AR in 308, I want to cover the non-AR style rifles like the Scar and Aug. Then looking into vintage military issue would be my next priority. I do not feel compelled to have more than one (new) good AR-15 until I cover those bases. When I shop AR's weight is always a high consideration.

mellow_c

I think it's safe to assume that most people buy a 16" carbine with red dot and or iron sights for their fist AR. So to me, the natural progression from there would be some sort of long range/target set up. Then maybe a cross between the 2... Like another 16" but with a 1-4 or 1-6x scope. Also doubles of the same are always good. And you can't forget the traditional looking ARs with no optics and with more traditional stocks... Then if you like you can have them in different colors and camo patterns...

It's really an endless proposition.

And if you really wanna keep going, you can step up to larger calibers like 308 or whatever else, or even go with some pistol caliber set ups. And don't forget SBRs and AR pistols. As well as piston driven systems. Yup. One could spend a virtual lifetime collecting ARs

But like I said. I think a basic carbine and then a long range/target set up would tend to be what most people would start with, or even stop with.

turtlehead

That they serve different purposes. Sometimes only slightly.

For example. My "Oh crap" gun is a lightweight (6 lbs empty) with a pencil barrel and a red dot sight with BUIS. If I could take only one with me it would be this. Great out to 100 yards.

Another is an almost identical one with a 3-9x40 scope and no BUIS. Only a pound heavier. Great out to 200+ yards and much more precise.

Then a more traditional (think 6920) with just irons. Rugged and simple. Throw it in the trunk. Teach new shooters.

A couple in 7.62x39. To cause occasional frustration but huge fun mostly. Just for the range.

Then bench guns that are too heavy to carry around.

And so on. My buddy wants an A1. That would be fun, too.

Nathan

My first AR was a 5.56 SPR type rifle, but I spent too much effort trying to make it a do it all gun. So, it does nothing great, and is too heavy.

My next rifle was a purpose built 5.56, lightweight, low cost, mid length carbine for my kids to shoot. It has a red dot and is quite handy. It turned out great. My 3rd will be a rebuild of my first with an accuracy barrel, better forearm for the bags or field rest and a better trigger.

rickyrick

I went for 10.5" pistol then 24", .300bo, 6.8spc. Also have another carbine along with upgraded 1st AR.

Seems like a lot of folks follow a similar format.

CDR_Glock

I had an 18" with a heavy quad rail.

My second was a Carbine with a 14.5" barrel.

The third, I built had a 20" barrel. It had a match grade trigger. Much lighter than the 18".

The fourth, I built the lower, was a 6.5 Grendel.

This doesn't count the AR-15 pistols, of which 3 are in 5.56 mm and 1 in 300 Blackout.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

FrankenMauser

Replying to this made me realize that I've gone through more ARs that I usually remember. :rolleyes:

First was actually a pistol, and though "cheap" for the time and built on a budget, still ran nearly a grand.
Second and third were low grade and are gone.
4th was very expensive (for me), at about $2,800, even though I shopped for the best deals, bought blem parts, and built it myself.
5th was an upper to share time on lower #4. $1,600 upper. :rolleyes:
6th was a test of an Anderson barrel, using a mix of new and used parts. Only cost me about $250 (including some of the used parts), but the cheap barrel shoots and everything else is even higher quality.
7th was a slight variation of an almost exact clone of the 5th upper, but integrating lessons learned on the 5th.
8th was an exercise in seeing if I could build an AR from left-over and take-off parts, and a barrel with an extra hole drilled through it; and borrowing the BCG from my the Anderson-barreled upper. I have a total of $87 into the whole thing. :D I did order a cheap BCG last week for $55. That'll put it at $142 for a rifle that could run as-is; but I'll be taking the gas system back off and running it single-shot as a golf ball launcher.

There were a few more uppers and four or five more lowers that were so short-lived that I can't even remember how most of them were configured. (Other than lots of cheap parts and most of the lowers being based on TAC-15 receivers.)

So, my progression was cheap, cheap, higher end, and then, with my needs properly met, back down to experimenting with cheap parts or "how low can I go before I screw myself?".
But when it matters, I spend the extra pennies and buy good parts.

Looking at it from a different angle (and ignoring the first pistol), I went jack-of-all-trades, purpose-built, and then to screwing around with experimental cheap stuff.

Right now, I have an Aero Precision receiver set sitting here with a few parts gathered for the build. So far, none of the parts are cheap, or from questionable retailers/manufacturers. No skimping on this one -- especially while good parts are so cheap!

USCS

I have a child who wanted to hunt but was recoil shy. She liked the AR but I was not pleased with the performance of the .223 on deer. Therefore AR #4 was a 300blk. Then she wanted more range, so AR #5 was a 6.8. Then I decided to give AR hunting a try and AR#6 was another 6.8 because I liked the way it performed on SC whitetails. Then my son decided that since dad and sis were hunting with ARs HE just had to have one. So he breaks into his piggy bank, brings me his life savings and wanted me to build him an AR to hunt with. What else could I do? AR #7 became a PSA upper and lower, PSA internals, B5 forearm and a Leupold VX 2 "just like daddy's". Daddy now stands in front of the gun safe and wonders "where did all these ARs come from". So basically, I build them "for the children". What do I look for? I decide on the rifles purpose and build accordingly.

CJ7nvrstk

1st standard M4 configuration in 5.56
2nd, AR pistol 10.5" barrel in 5.56, standard parts
3rd, 300BO 18" barrel, quality trigger, decent scope
4th, 6.5 Grendel 20", additional upgraded parts
5th, 6.5 Grendel, even more high end goodies
6th Milspec parts, bump fire stock
7th TBD
8th TBD

THEN CHECK IN TO AR ANONYMOUS AS THERE IS CLEARLY A PROBLEM HERE!

O4L

My first was a slightly used 16" carbine with a quadrail, with a scope/red dot and no iron sights.

Next was a 16" midlength with Magpul furniture with sights and red dot.

I now have a lower setup with an A2 stock waiting on a 18" or 20" rifle upper.

I have also been thinking of building a SPR type rifle with a 18" barrel.

Last edited:

amprecon

My first AR was an RRA LAR-6.8, second was a DPMS A4 Lite in 5.56 but quickly converted to 6.8. I ended up putting 16" ARP barrels on both and PSA slick side uppers on both with Magpul furniture and Aimpoints. I also yanked the flash suppressors off and put thread protectors on. Love 'em

The way I ended up owning multiple ARs was a combination of tweaking ny favorite rifle over time (replaced upper receiver, BCG, buffer, trigger, hammer, disconnect, various springs, gas block, barrel, forearm, grips, stock, etc.). One day you look at all those castoff parts and think "Heck, I've got maybe 1.5-2 ARs there if I just buy a few of those cheap lower receivers that are on sale."

Then you've got multiple ARs, except the extra AR is in a configuration you stopped using for good reason, and new stuff has come on the market, and man those prices are good! Etc. etc.

The asexual reproduction cycle of the AR15.

ed308

All those parts usually become another build. Decide what you'll use it for. My second AR was a 5.56 AR to replace my first AR that I build in 1994. My 3rd was a AR10 in .308 that I planned to use for hunting. Quickly dumped it for a 6.8. ARs tend to multiply like rabbits.

rickyrick

I've got spare parts now. BCG complete and spare bolts. Spare barrel. Stock and buffer tube. Three milspec trigger sets, some random roll-pins, a couple of detente and springs for those. Carbine buffers and springs.

I am in a serious mental mess with those AR parts taunting me every day. I've remained strong and deleted many deal blast emails from various suppliers. It's maddening having some AR parts without recievers in possession

BumbleBug

I'm on my 2nd build which will be a "Six5" wildcat (think 6.8spc necked down to 6.5mm). I got a good deal on a high-quality barrel & I like the idea of tinkering with a wildcat & the handloading for it. That's the attraction for me.

I had squirreled away a couple of lower receivers before the election & now, like rickyrick said, they are playing a siren's song of "build-me,build-me,build-me"! :)

ed308

Only your second AR and already going wildcat. I only did my first wildcat around 1 year ago. Built a 270AR. Almost pulled trigger on the Six5. Might have if Harrison had 20" barrels for that cat at the time. May build one day. My 270AR has had it's growing pains and was eating a lot of brass due to feeding issues. The the last time I went to the range it seemed to be running smooth again after I replaced the extractor. But I don't get to the range as much as I would like. Make no mistake about it, it'll make a great AR to hunt with.