What do you carry in bear country?

firespec35

Glad to see 10mm getting some love here. Im a shooter but not much of an outdoorsman, my brother is getting into rustic camping and expedition trips but isnt super knowledgeable with pistols nor does he have a ton of money to seek out a 1000+ gun. I suggested a 10mm glock with a havy duty load (will have to tell him about doubletap) but told him to research more because I wasnt competely sure of the efficacy against bears.

Deaf Smith

This is what I carry.

attachment.php

My trusted 629-1 .44 Magnum.

If I need more I take my Winchester .44 Magnum Trapper carbine with same ammo.

Deaf

nhyrum

I have been going around to all my local shops asking for recommendations. They all say 44 magnum, but one place said the glock 10mm as well. Good to finally get a model number. They even knew of a guy that is in there often that may let me shoot it, and told them about my interest in the 454,so they will be on the lookout for someone that has one, and willing to let me shoot it

Isk

I actually carry (in actual bear territory) a 6.5" .357 Magnum Ruger Blackhawk stocked with either hardcast Buffalo Bore 180 gr. or Double Tap 200 gr.

Alternatively, I might carry my 4" XD .45 with Buffalo Bore 255 gr. hardcast rounds.

I also carry bear spray.

I hike on the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska spring through fall. We have grizz and blackies and really mean moose. I don't feel undergunned with the .45 and I certainly wouldn't feel undergunned with a 10mm (which is very common here). I'm not a big guy, so I don't carry a .44 or bigger. I just won't be able to make a second shot with those.

When in bear territory, be aware, bring friends (and a dog if possible) and try to enjoy the outdoors.

Deaf Smith

Just remember folks, bear spray is NOT 100 percent effective.

Just google Todd Orr and what happened to him.

He did have a 10mm, scoped, but in his backback. His bear spray failed (bear ran right thought the cloud and grabbed him. He played possum and then tried to limp out. 10 min later the bear grabbed him again. He did the possum thing again and finally made it out alive.)

I feel bear spray is best when used to ward off bears that are a 'nuance'. Like wandering into ones camp or just blocking the trail.

But when the bear is charging, a good powerful firearm used WITH SKILL, is the better route. If you don't have skill with firearms though, maybe bear spray is the answer.

And most importantly, have whatever you carry for defense RIGHT THERE FOR QUICK DEPLOYMENT. Having attached to the backpack just makes it unavailable of sudden need.

Deaf

agtman

He did have a 10mm, scoped, but in his backback. * * *

Which is a point I've been making in these "Bear" threads for years:

inaccessible when needed = suicidal.

It doesn't matter if you're carrying an autoloader or a wheelgun that's chambered for the baddest bear-stopping cartridge on the planet. It's got to be kept IMMEDIATELY ready at hand.

That's why a center-chest holster is about the best compromise rig for when you're hiking/camping/fishing/hunting in bear country, and you want or need your hands kept free for doing something else. The gun is right there if Mr Bear suddenly appears. I wouldn't use one for EDC-ing my G20 or G29 concealed in urban environs. I'm dressed differently than when I'm in the deep woods and boonies, so I've got other IWB and OWB holsters for urban concealment.

And most importantly, have whatever you carry for defense RIGHT THERE FOR QUICK DEPLOYMENT. Having attached to the backpack just makes it unavailable of sudden need.

Yes, correct. Worse is inside the backpack, which I've seen happen with a couple of guys who used to carry those 5-shot boat-anchor mega-magnum revolvers. They got tired of the weight on their hips as they were hiking to a fishing spot, and so when they reached the river bank and started setting up for casting they removed their guns and holsters and dumped them down inside their packs.

Fortunately, there were no hungry bruins around at the time. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Onward Allusion

I had a 44 when I hiked Glacier and felt pretty secure, but if I had to do it over, I'd carry G20 or even a G31. Quicker follow-ups and higher capacity 'cause misses are pretty much guaranteed.

osbornk

I talked with the president of our local bear hunting club a few months ago and asked him what his club used to hunt bears (they use dogs to tree them). He said they usually use long barreled Ruger revolvers in either 357 or 44 Magnum.

lefteye

I am assuming you are using a rifle for elk hunting. I would recommend a Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum for a grizzly bear defense hand gun. Barrel length is a personal preference and may depend on other gear being carried.

jr24

Yep, a bit of advice I got from some very knowledgeable Alaskan fishing guides. That plus the biggest gun you can get into action quickly...a handgun in .44 Magnum as a minimum. Rod

That's what I did up in AK when the bears were out. 12 gauge loaded with 3 1/2 slugs in the boat also. Spray is good if the bear is just being curious.

As for the .44, I have a Ruger Redhawk that I kept loaded with Garret 310 grain super hardcasts and didn't feel terribly underarmed. Getting it into play in time would be the tricky part anyhow, Grizz are sneaky critters when they want to be.

All that said, I was always more scared of startling a moose myself, those things get trample crazy.

DPris

Member Emeritus
Just some thoughts to consider:

An AK pistol is a ludicrous idea.
Hard to hit with on moving targets to begin with & damned near impossible with one hand in a hurry if needed, not to mention the difficulty of on-body carry.

Shotguns are not in the running as backups to a hunting rifle.
Regardless of effectiveness with slugs, nobody's going to carry two long guns.

The huge Smiths in .460 & .500 are extremely ungainly & heavy, and followup shots would be difficult in short time frames.
I HAVE fired a .460 Smith one-handed & it can be done, but not recommended.

The Taurus combo gun is large & ungainly, no real point in its supposed versatility when the goal is a totable backup sidearm for bear.

The idea of a backup handgun is just that- a backup.
It's always on-body, and that means at times when you set the rifle against a tree to cook, process meat, or do what the bears themselves do in the woods. :)

You won't always have the rifle on you, and a handgun may be quicker to get into action along with offering faster follow-up shots if needed & time allows.

The handgun can be fired one-handed, if the off hand is injured or circumstances indicate & require it.
Rifles are more difficult to both operate and fire with one hand.

I would personally find a revolver more emotionally comforting than a semi-auto, in such circumstances, but that's just me.

The .454 can be intimidating & not really necessary in the Wyoming bear habitat, in my opinion.

A GOOD .44 Mag with the RIGHT bullet can handle the job, and with much less fuss than the .454.

A light-framed revolver is easier to carry, but offers more recoil, and may affect your ability to shoot it well.

A heavier revolver will handle recoil better, be less intimidating if you don't shoot enough to get used to heavy recoil.

A well-constructed chest rig or shoulder rig easily & comfortably carries even a large 6-inch or 7.5-inch all-steel revolver above the belt, where it's easier on your back, and won't pull your pants down.
Access is also excellent, IF you wear such a rig outside your outer layer of clothing.

Wearing a long coat over your gunbelt may slow down access to a belt-carried gun.
Any carry inside multiple layers of clothing in a concealed-carry type holster denies quick access.

And finally, to answer the "What do you carry..." question- In the mountains of Idaho I carried a 4-inch Ruger Redhawk with heavy Garrett .44 Mag solids.

Nowdays, I may alternate between that or a lighter Smith 629-3 in .44 Mag, again with an appropriate non-expanding bullet, in the Utah mountains.
Both are worn in Galco chest or shoulder rigs, depending on season & mood.

I also have a De Santis chest harness for a 6.5-inch Ruger .44 Mag Blackhawk, but generally prefer a DA revolver.

For lighter work, I may take a 4.2-inch Ruger SP in .357 Mag riding in a quick on/quick off El Paso Saddlery Tanker chest rig & loaded with Buff Bore 180-grain lead semi-wads.

Such "high-carry" leather keeps weight off my belt, immediately accessible over outer clothing & in any sitting position, and doesn't situate the handgun where a hammer will tear up a rifle stock if slung for long periods on foot.

The Desert Eagle in .44 is a big & heavy gun, and in .50 you will NOT like the recoil.

Again, just some thoughts to consider.
Denis

chuckscap

Hi, I know the Buffalo Bore ammo tends to be a bit hot, but my 45 is a Springfield V16 Long Slide that was built for and easily handles 45 Super loads. While I understand the revolver preference, for me, I am very familiar and a decent shot with my 45. Its relatively easy to carry and it has never malfunctioned with thousands of rounds (combined) of 230g hardball, 230g Golden Sabres, and the 255g Buffalo Bore hardcast. Of the three the Buffalo Bore is the most accurate ammo I have used in my particular pistol.

To each their own, just make sure you have it with you and you practice regularly! In my limited experience (1 grizzly bear and 1 brown bear encounter both within 20 feet) talking to them has worked. Nice to have a handgun if it doesn't.

DPris

Member Emeritus
Forgot to mention the Ruger Kodiak Red I just had re-worked.
Lighter than the full-sized Reds, shorter, nice rounded grip.
That one may replace the full-sized versions for some outings, again in a chest rig from Galco. :)
Denis

rickmc

If you are going to carry a pistol, make sure that the weight doesn't make you want to leave it in the car. It's not any good to you if you don't have it on you. That being said, a somewhat heavier gun will help with the recoil, as will having the end of the barrel ported, to help reduce muzzle rise. I wouldn't consider anything shorted than a 6" barrel, as that adds to a better line of sight on your target and will give you a better shooting experience. If it were me, I'd have a holster on my chest, in a cross-draw set up. Would help with fast, easy access. My personal preference is never settle for just a single action like a Ruger Blackhawk when a Ruger Redhawk will give you both single and double action options. All of the handguns mentioned by others have very different feel in the actions and trigger pulls. Consider getting a gun from S&W's Performance depart. They have VERY smooth actions right out of the factory. That will help with the practice you'll have to put in to get good with any of the choices mentioned.

shootbrownelk

When I hunted in Grand Teton Park 20 years ago (pre-wolf) I used my Winchester model 70 in .375 H&H. I saw Grizzlies back then, at a distance. There was plenty of Grizzly sign around. I never surprised one. 2 hunters were attacked by a Grizzly the last year I hunted there...they killed it. There are a heck of a lot more bears around now than there were then. Rule # 1, never hunt alone. #2, carry bear spray where you can grab it instantly. #3, carry premium ammo in your elk rifle, If a bear charges you, you won't have time for a handgun. Just my $0.02, but the most important is having a hunting partner when hunting in areas adjacent to Yellowstone & Grand Teton parks. The bears are expanding their territories into various mountain ranges in Wyoming & Montana.