What do you carry in bear country?

nhyrum

I'm looking to start hunting, and here in Wyoming, it's bear country, with most elk being in grizzly territory.

I'm looking into a 460 s&w mag. Is that too big? Too much? Too hard to handle? Bear spray will obviously be a first countermeasure.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Radny97

For grizzly I would go with a light framed 44 mag or 454 casull. Depending on whether you will be doing a lot of hiking. More hiking = lighter 44 mag. The 460 xvr is just too heavy to tote around solely for self defense. That's a five pound gun. As heavy as some rifles. If you want a gun that heavy, I have a lever action 454 casull rifle that weighs 6 pounds.

nhyrum

For grizzly I would go with a light framed 44 mag or 454 casull. Depending on whether you will be doing a lot of hiking. More hiking = lighter 44 mag.

Thanks, that's the kind of input I am looking for! First of all I REALLY hope I NEVER have to use it for that purpose, and I really want to avoid making an upset grizzly even more upset.

The 454 casull also may be a cheaper alternative for the xvr...

Ruger super Red Hawk Alaskan in 454 casull? Seems like it was designed for bears

Last edited:

Radny97

Yes the super red hawk Alaskan really is designed for bears. But realize that the 454 casull is such a high pressure round that you are getting into truly earsplittibg territory. If you have to defend yourself so be it, but you'll probably lose your hearing with that round.
My recommendation would be the S&W 329pd. That's six shots of 44 mag in a 25 ounce gun. Sure it won't be comfortable to shoot with the recoil on something that light but this isn't a range toy, it's for protection.
The Alaskan is 45 oz., almost twice the weight. Good gun though.

xcc_rider

From what I can see by this placard, all you need is pepper spray and bells on your shoes...

Seriously though, I think the 454 Casull is a good choice.

nhyrum

From what I can see by this placard, all you need is pepper spray and bells on your shoes...

Seriously though, I think the 454 Casull is a good choice.
Leave it to California yokels...

Now, "bear spray" is a different kind of "pepper spray" higher pressure, sprays 15-20 feet, and is designed for bears. It's actually required to be carried here in Wyoming.

I also plan on shouting "hello bears" every 30 yards or so to take care of the noise.

Anyway, thanks for the input. Just want to be safe

Edit: just read the last paragraph, and either that sign is a joke, or California lawmakers are missing more brain cells then I previously thought.

Last edited:

TXAZ

Situational awareness and shot placement are more critical than caliber.
Just yelling "Hello Bears" isn't enough. Grizzlies have beer dropped with a 9mm, but I wouldn't submit that's a safe bet by any means.

The concensus on some of the backwoods hunter boards is a 44 Mag is minimum for many.

One other line was to consider an AK pistol, as they are very noisy, and if you can aim you have 30 shots to put on target.

Good luck.

nhyrum

Situational awareness and shot placement are more critical than caliber.

I agree. But I want a caliber /cartridge where shot placement is less critical. I'm sure that my practice will yield good groups, but under the circumstances of being charged by an angry grizzly, shot placement would be less than ideal. If I was hunting the critter, I would totally agree on that point.

Wyosmith

I have been a very active and dedicated handgunner in the past, and I shoot both my 44s and my 454 well. But I always recommend shooting the gun that you shoot the best, not just the one that is the most powerful.
If you are not very experienced with heavy hitting handguns it's best to start with a 357 mag with 180 or 187 grain bullet cast hard, and zeroed well at 25 yards.
Shoot until you can hit moving targets at close range before moving up in power.

Pathfinder45

I carry a Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt. But I would suggest that a 44 Magnum would be a better choice if you will learn to shoot it well. Since the 44 Magnum is too much gun for most people, you shouldn't even think of a 454 or some of the more powerful calibers unless you have first mastered the 44 Magnum. I suggest the Ruger Super-Blackhawk, because I like single-action revolvers. But there are good double-action revolvers as well. The 357 Magnum is a whole lot easier to master than the 44. I cannot recommend any light-weight 44 magnums as they would be painful to shoot, with perhaps even dangerous recoil.

rodfac

Bear spray will obviously be a first countermeasure.
Yep, a bit of advice I got from some very knowledgeable Alaskan fishing guides. That plus the biggest gun you can get into action quickly...a handgun in .44 Magnum as a minimum. Rod

Buzzcook

I carry a Ruger Mk II. fun to shoot and small game stays in one piece better than with a center fire gun.

Everything I've read about bear encounters indicates that bear spray is the better option.

Not all the elk are in bear country. Just avoid the NW corner and you should be fine.

John D

I would replace the weight of your revolver with more ammo for your elk rifle, which is going to be a lot more effective on bears!

Wyosmith

nhyrum, where are you?
I am in the Wind River Valley.
Maybe I can help you out if you are close to me.

PM me and we'll talk.

T. O'Heir

"...looking into a 460 S&W Mag..." You have a rifle in your hands. No hand gun cartridge will compare to a rifle cartridge.
Yogi can cover 100 yards in under 6 seconds. Plus the chances of you ever being fast and accurate enough to recognise the threat, draw, aim and fire a shot are slim. Plus that ammo is friggin' expensive stuff. Starts at $35 per 20. Most of it runs $50 plus.
In any case, nothing, rifle or handgun, will stop anything in its tracks. Physics doesn't allow it.

tallball

If someone were to purchase a 44 magnum revolver, they could shoot 44 specials for a few practice sessions before they started shooting magnums.

jmhyer

I must agree with John D. Unless you will be hunting elk with stick and string or muzzle loader, your hunting rifle will be much more useful than any handgun.