We're in the Savage/Ruger era.

Gunplummer

Now that is funny. I work with a guy that is always talking about how great his Tikkas are, but has no reason why. I remember the same type of guys talking about Weatherbys. And pre-64 Winchesters.

fourbore

I dont own a Tikka. Other who do, tell me light weight and accurate. they are well finished and come with rings in the box. Finland/Sako has a reputation for good guns that goes way back. The problem is a real nice wood stock sako in more money than you average american wants to spend. I looked a one and sadly had to walk away. Why or if you believe American is in decline is off topic. The Tikka is a gun anyone can afford who is, on a ruger/savage budget.

Tikka has a MOA guarantee. TC used do, I dont know now. It may not mean a lot, but; at least is says something. Like the 100,000 mile auto warranty. Can you get that from GM?

I dont know what type of guy you work with. Maybe, like they say, better to be lucky than smart! I will settle for lucky.

fourbore

They're the only two rifle/firearm makers I hear about constantly where I'm at.

The OP guestion or observation is that people are only, or mostly, talking about two brands, ruger and savage.

I say they are talking about a lot more than two. Hearsay is talk. I would rather buy a CZ than a Tikka and then go to the range. More talk, yet another brand.

Yes, it is a little weird. Mossberg was always considered a low grade gun too, but it seems there was no reason for it.
When I put an Moss 500 next to a Benelli Nova and compare I don't have any problem seeing the difference. Same with the semi-autos.

It is interesting seeing hat different people think of the different brands. I've been trying really hard to pare down my collection to as few rifles as possible. I've moved away from multiples in the budget lines toward just one or two from the higher lines. Couldn't be happier with the move.

What we are witnessing is the natural technological progression.

Two companies that already knew how to make fair quality fire arms and reasonable prices. Once the new technology CNC ect and casting techniques came about. The owners of these companies already knew how to turn out quantity now all that happened was that quantity comes out with better quality.

That gives them a huge advantage over the old school companies. Who only really know how to put out good quality at a high cost. Then they purchased companies who also did not know how to create good quality volume with out excessive labor costs.
They have a steep learning curve to contend with. They will eventually figure it out by hiring the guys who know from their competitors.
I suspect some Ruger engineers are in for fat raises.:D

Until then Savage and Ruger rule the roost.

bobn

I am sure glad that I do not to have to move ahead with technology. I can have all yesterdays manufacturing methods I want, lol.

Last edited:
Well, then, how about an Ithica M37? The ones I have seen aren't the equal to the M37s from the 60s, but they sure beat out mossbergs offerings.

Stats Shooter

Everything Mossberg is trash. The shotgun I used to breach with in the Navy was Mossberg, and also trash.
Give me a remmington, benneli, or Berretta any day

taylorce1

I'm pretty much done with Savage rifles, and I'm a little interested in some Ruger Americans. The reason I'm done with Savage is the Axis rifle, I loved the Stevens 200 for tinkering with but the Axis killed it. I can now buy M700 ADL rifles for less money than I can buy a Savage 10/110 rifle, and if I'm buying a rifle for a build on. The M700 is only slightly more expensive than a Savage in the long run, and the Remington is easier to find parts to build with most of the time. The Axis doesn't offer me anything I want, no matter how small of groups they are capable of.

Ruger is offering some interesting rifles in their American line, and the 1:8 twist .223 is one of them that really interests me. The 6.5 Creedmoor Predator and the .300 BLK Ranch are the other two that have my attention as well. Other than that I can't say that I really am interested a whole lot in these rifles and right now there isn't one in my safe.

I think having a lot of rifles was more important to me when I was younger, than have a few quality rifles. I used to fill my safe with cheap military sporters, pawn shop beaters, and whatever I could get my hands on for less than $350. It probably wasn't the best idea I ever had. Along the way I started paying more for rifles, because I knew exactly what I wanted. I still know what I want and most of these cheap budget rifles aren't it. I don't fault a guy/gal for buying one, especially if it gets them into shooting and hunting.

I want a 6.5 Creedmoor for hunting but the while I look at the Ruger Predator, the Howa Alpine, Kimber Montana, and Kimber Hunter hold my interests more. These rifles are all near $1000, but I feel these rifles offer more for my money than any of the sub $500 rifles available. I've found buying a cheap rifle and turning it into what I want, is usually more expensive in the long run anyway.

Txhillbilly

I've always loved Browning A Bolts and Winchester M70's,but their prices and lack of finding LH models in the cartridge's that I wanted always stopped me from buying them.
The several Ruger M77's and #1's that I've owned were at best minute of whitetail or elk rifles. None of them would come close to the groups that I get out of Savage rifles.
Once I learned that I could buy an action wrench and barrel nut wrench years ago,and turn any Savage 10/110 rifle into whatever I wanted,I was hooked on them. Now,my safe is plum full of rifles that were built off a Savage action.

The only Remington's I own are a sporterized 1903 that was built by Paul Jaeger,that my grandfather gave me for my first hunting rifle years ago. I also have two Remington shotguns,a 1906 Model 11,and 1976 Model's of the 870TB & 552 Speedmaster 22LR. All of these are great quality firearms.

All of these new "Entry" level rifles from Ruger,Savage,Marlin,Remington,and Mossberg may shoot MOA or better,but they are still entry level guns,and have no value to me. They might be great rifles,but they have no class!