We're in the Savage/Ruger era.

FiveInADime

They're the only two rifle/firearm makers I hear about constantly where I'm at.

Ruger seems to be surging forward and Savage is holding steady. Really, even though I'm a Winchester-loving M70 thumper, I am really happy for those two companies. They seem to be doing it right on most fronts (both could improve QC but they ARE extremely busy).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jamiesaun

As far as savage rifles, I can only comment on the rimfires. They're a total anomaly. They have no business shooting as well as they do, I really was stunned with mine... with 17gr anyway. I'm going to pillar and glass it anyways simply because, but there definitely isn't a real need for it.

bamaranger

era

They certainly have two popular price point rifles, the American and the Axis. And both offer a Scout rifle, a "chassis" rifle, and a broad range of sporters, rimfires, and dedicated long range rigs.

What's interesting about Savage v. Ruger: no handguns & no AR/Semi type rifles for Savage. Everybody seems to offer an AR.......except Savage.

Ruger has downsized their product line over the years to my chagrin, no more Ruger shotguns, and certain handguns and the .44 carbine line are gone. At one point, nobody was doing it like Ruger.

Mr. Hill

Ruger does seem to be in an innovative stage. Can't speak to savage. But we were talking about Ruger's new predator line in elk camp. If I had the money for a new .22lr bolt action rifle, I'd look seriously at the Ruger American model.

FiveInADime

Ruger does seem to be in an innovative stage. Can't speak to savage. But we were talking about Ruger's new predator line in elk camp. If I had the money for a new .22lr bolt action rifle, I'd look seriously at the Ruger American model.
The American rimfire should have been done long ago. The 10/22 mags are perfect for the application because they are flush-fit unlike Savage and Marlin's offerings. The action is simple but nice and smooth. It doesn't cost $$$ like the 77/22 did. I just wish they would throw it in a decent looking birch/beech stock.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RC20

I think the benchmark for a good quality bolt 22 is the CZ line.

452/455, not a bench rest but probably the best all around. Trigger is not bad but not great.

I am tempted to get a Savage just because it has the heavy barrel that would suit my bench rest shooting.

Not sure on the acu trigger as its not as light adjusting as the Varmint.

Ruger would be a new one for me, haven't paid much attention to that.

Mr. Hill

And from a value perspective, both savage and Ruger rimfires are great; eventually, I'll manage to afford a rimfire rifle for each of my 3 young boys, and I'll probably look hard at either line when I can afford to start buying .22 lr rifles for each boy.

bamaranger

chink

The weak point in the Savage Mk II line is indeed that dang cheap sheet metal mag........not worth a hoot...but the rifle (mine a HB) is a tack driver.

I wish MagPul or somebody would make an affordable, quality poly mag for the Mk II family.

Guv

77/22's aren't so bad, if you bought one 20 years ago and plan on selling it now. Prices are crazy!

Sarge

I would take an old Savage 110 for any standard rifle chore and not feel slighted in the least. I never saw one in any caliber that wasn't an excellent shooter and the poor ugly things always work.

VoodooMountain

Ruger, savage, and howas are what are in my safe (mostly).

The Ruger 77 is my favorite bolt action and the savage is right up there. Ironically, some of the things that allow the savage to sell for a competitive price are also some things I like most such as the ability to swap any part on the gun easily.

It still amazes me how the savage 10 used to be considered a budget beater gun and got little respect and now so many hold it as the pinnacle for what a rifle can do at that price. No argument from me on the latter.

Remington shot themselves in the foot. I have set out 3 times now to get a 700 and came back home every time with something else. I've seen several that were just rusting away sitting at the store due to a poor finish. Then there were 2 trigger recalls and worst of all there qc has slipped something fierce since the freedom group take over.

I know some guys love their tikkas but I just can't warm up to them. Plastic wonders for twice the price of a comparable savage or Ruger. In fact, the American seems very much like a tikka at half the cost.

New winchesters, though nice, are a bit expensive by comparison.

So what else does that leave us? Cz and ?

Stats Shooter

I have a Savage 110 in .300 win mag bought at Target in 1996 as a "budget" rifle for me when I was 14.....1/4 moa at 300 yards with my current handloading....i have a Ruger American in .270, 1/2 Moa at 100 yards with hornady 130 grain SST's. I have a Ruger SR 762 and a Ruger 556 varmint. Oh and a 10/22.....all of them are sub moa and all as reliable as a baseball bat (the 10/22 is about 1" at 50 yards with CCI mini mags).

My point is, they are as effective as you could possibly expect at a fraction of the cost of browning, Sako, or even remmington.

Scorch

We're in the Savage/Ruger era.
People will always buy cheaper varieties of goods when they are being strictly utilitarian. But when people want to show off their rifles, they don't pull out their Savage Axis or Ruger American to see who has the prettiest plastic or the roughest sprayed-on finish. They reach for that old walnut and blued steel rifle in the back of the safe.

weblance

I wont buy an Axis or American when you can get a Howa 1500 for LESS money. Yeah, they are out there, you just gotta look around.

Llama Bob

I do own a Ruger 10/22 and a Gunsite Scout. I've never found a Savage offering I wanted anything to do with - they can keep their remarkably clunky push feed actions.

In terms of hunting rifles M70s, Kimber 84s, MRC 1999s and Browning/Miroku lever actions are what's in my safe. I don't have any plans to change any time soon.

Llama Bob

If you're referring to my guns, no - one is an 1886 in .45-90 and the other is a B92 in .44mag. Both are controlled feed lever actions.

There are however several push feed designs sold under the Browning name.