Well used S&W Model 10s...

357 Python

If you are looking for a revolver in .38 Special only the S&W model 10 is difficult to beat. it has everything you need with nothing you don't want. However, if you like adjustable sights the model 15 would be right next to the model 10. You could not go wrong with either one.

"Mr. Irwin, do the revolvers have the heavy barrel? Even if they don't, three hundred bucks is a terrific deal for a mechanically sound Model 10. The heavy barrel would only sweeten the deal for me."

All I know is what I see in the photo/description on Bud's gunshop.

I'm hoping that they have the lightweight barrels, I really dislike the heavy barrel configuration.

highpower3006

highpower3006: If it was made in 1901 it is one of these. 38 Military and Police 1st Model, also known as the Model of 1899 Army-Navy Revolver. Made from 1899 until 1902.

After I got mine I found out it is quite rare as it is a Model 1899 Target Model. Not many first model target's were made and few have survived in to the present day that are still in original condition .
IMG_3559-XL.jpg

IMG_9876_Fotor-XL.jpg

AzShooter

TnJ15fUl.jpg

It's a definite go in my mind. I picked this one up a few years ago from J&G sales and it's worked great. The Model 10 just cries out to be shot and modified. The older models have much better triggers than new models so get it and enjoy

biblethumpncop

I bought a 10-8 Heavy Barrel Round Butt for $283 on Gun Broker last month. I saw a similar gun with a square butt sold this week on the same site for $280. Just keep looking, they are out there.

highpower3006

I recently picked up a RHKP marked 10-9 in beautiful condition for $400. They are still out there if you keep looking.

IMG_8576-XL.jpg

IMG_8579-XL.jpg

Last edited:

shoebox1.1

GB frustrates the heck outta me. You type in a search. Let’s say smith Wesson model 10. And it gives you 5000 ar15 ads!!! I get mad then turn it off.

shurshot

Highpower, that is one mint model 10! My guess is from the looks of it, either the HK Police kept it in storage, or they don't qualify with more than a handful of rounds. Nice find!!!

ThomasT

Yes his RHKP looks a LOT better than the one I had and stupidly sold. Mine was also missing the lanyard. I never could find a lanyard to replace it either.

And it looks like Buds is sold out. I would really like a skinny barrel model 10 to go with the HB model 10 I got a few months ago. It could keep my model 15 company too.

My friend bought a model 10 police turn in from Buds a few years ago and I think it started life as a taper barreled gun but somewhere along the way the barrel was switched to a heavy barrel. The barrel does not mate up correctly with the frame where it screws in. The barrel is just a tiny bit fatter than the front of the frame. But the gun shoots just fine. Its his favorite handgun.

Last RHKP-marked Smith & Wesson I saw was chambered for .380-200.

That was back in the 1990s. Wanted it, but I couldn't afford it.

Mulebuk Mojo

Bud's gun shop has gotten a large shipment of 4" Model 10 S&Ws, police trade ins.

Exterior condition is described as fair to poor, but mechanically sound.

Very, very tempting to get myself a project revolver/beater.

Go for it, don't let the fair to poor scare you, that's generally holster wear. Easy peasy to re-blue and now you got a classic. And they probably have less than 100 rounds through them. Once a year qualifying.

However don't be fooled, Bud's is still ripping you off. They probably got them for free.

shoebox1.1

I finally got a model 10 on GB. Overpaid for it but it should be a good one. Twc markings on frame so maybe there’s some neat history I could find out someday. Is going to be my new daily carry

dgludwig

HB barrels are not intrinsically more accurate but, for some people, they might make it easier to shoot more accurately (less recoil and muzzle rise). Too, there are those who feel (subjectively) that some firearms handle, point and "hang" better with a little more weight up front.