Well used S&W Model 10s...

Bud's gun shop has gotten a large shipment of 4" Model 10 S&Ws, police trade ins.

Exterior condition is described as fair to poor, but mechanically sound.

$300.

Very, very tempting to get myself a project revolver/beater.

Very tempting...

44 AMP

Staff
If the guns are mechanically sound, exterior finish is a matter of cosmetics not related to function, so how is a $300 S&W .38Special K frame a bad deal on today's market??

I seriously doubt they will get cheaper, or that you will find a better deal in the future.

Never a bad idea to have a spare .38 or three lying around, just in case, and S&W is about as good as it gets for value.

Sevens

My local massive gun store chain had a large supply of these about a decade ago, they were former Ohio DOC guns. The one I snagged was a heavy barrel 10-10 with a round butt frame and wearing a set of Uncle Mike’s rubber in great condition. I was able to look over 8 examples to make my selection and though it would have annoyed the counter guy, I probably could have asked for more examples but I didn’t need to, this one was a keeper.

Point of my tale? I paid $250 plus tax! That was every bit of ten years ago and Bud’s has them for $300?!?!

That’s amazing. I am absolutely flush with awesome K-frame .38’s, so I’m not after another… but this sounds like a “must buy” for anyone that doesn’t have at least a couple K-frame .38’s already.

KyJim

I would jump on one of these --- if I didn't already have six K-frame .38s, including three model 10s. The standard four-inch models and the three-inch heavy barrel model fit my hand and balance perfectly for me.

littlebikerider

I bought a model 10 at the LGS just after Christmas for $250, I would rate in good to very good cosmetically with some faded bluing and a little holster wear. The owner said a retired security guard brought it in just to make a few bucks for Christmas.

SIGSHR

Back in 1972 I asked a gun guru about a Colt Trooper .357, I told him it had some holster wear, he replied:
"You don't shoot bluing."

shurshot

S&W model 10's are some of the best balanced revolvers I have ever encountered. Not too big, not too small, superb trigger and excellent accuracy for a fixed sight revolver. Perfect trail gun, small game thumper with 148 grain wadcutters. Far too many people today underestimate how accurate and effective a .38 special can be.

Had my Sheriff's Department trade in 4" Heavy barrel with a target hammer for 3 decades now. Had to reblue it as a Deputy had obviously dispatched a deer or something and put the blood splattered gun back in its holster... had lots of splotches when I first got it, looked terrible. Action was tight though and the bore was mint. Still is. Exactly why I hand picked it out of a cardboard box full of LEO trade in model 10's. The roughest looking one, but the most mechanicaly sound. Tyler T-grip makes the square butt grip fill my hand just right.

It isn't going anywhere. ;)

Last edited:

bedbugbilly

SIGH . . . . NUTHIN' like a Model 10 ............ I have a 5: M ^ P - born the same year as me so it's an old geezer, but, if I could only have one - I would choose it!

I also have a Model 36 snob and a 3" - both good carry guns. I love them both but the 3" is a great kit gun for hiking, etc. I carried it a lot on the farm - usually loaded with my 38 Colt Short cast reloads - a great plinker and a good little critter gun.

highpower3006

The oldest K frame Smith I have was made in 1901. While it has very little original finish left, it still locks up tight and has a great bore.

Hawg

300 isn't bad for todays prices. I paid 275 for a 10-5 about 6 months ago. The seller paid for the shipping but with the FFL fee it was a little over 300.

xtp9U20l.jpg

dgludwig

Mr. Irwin, do the revolvers have the heavy barrel? Even if they don't, three hundred bucks is a terrific deal for a mechanically sound Model 10. The heavy barrel would only sweeten the deal for me.

Last edited:
Howdy

I have lots of K frame Smiths. Many are older 6" 38 M&Ps.

This Model 10-5 is one of my favorites. Shipped sometime around 1964 I believe. I prefer the tapered barrel to a bull barrel. I have always thought it was a police trade in because the number 54 stamped on the frame above the trigger looks like a police armorer's rack number, but I have no documentation about that.

Best deal I ever got on a S&W revolver, $125 out the door. Of course that was probably around 15 years ago now.

po9aWckHj

The oldest K frame Smith I have was made in 1901. While it has very little original finish left, it still locks up tight and has a great bore.

highpower3006: If it was made in 1901 it is one of these. 38 Military and Police 1st Model, also known as the Model of 1899 Army-Navy Revolver. Made from 1899 until 1902.

This one shipped in 1899, the same year they were first made, and it is the oldest K frame Smith I have. The nickel plating is still in really good shape, and it still locks up tight. Notice the lack of a lug under the barrel to secure the front of the ejector rod. That did not come about until 1902 with the 2nd Model.

pmtsb2fDj