Well Boys: The 1911 is back & it will be made by Colt. 101 yrs & still going.

TunnelRat

I find it interesting that a 100+ year old design with a few modifications is going to be used by the U.S. Marine Corp.

I don't find it surprising at all. I love John Moses Browning. Man was a genius. But I am willing to bet some salty Marine gets a hard on every time he hears someone say "1911". The 1911 is part of Americana. It's damn near untouchable when it comes to criticism. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that somewhere in this decision is an old Marine who remembers the 1911 fondly while smoking a cigar. And well he should. But nostalgia is a funny thing. We tend to remember all that was great, not so much that wasn't.

As I said I think there are better options out there for less money. HK has some nice options with the HK45 or the venerable HK USP 45. I actually prefer the USP over the newer model for the added capacity and IMO better trigger, but the lack of a universal rail is annoying. But let's move beyond my interests. As mentioned the FNP-45 is an awesome option. They don't need the crazy tactical model, though it's there if they want it. Great capacity for a 45. FN already makes US machine guns. And every one of their products I have used has been rock solid. Both options allow for cocked and locked carry.

though I could be talked into .357 Sig which has better penetration against body armor

What body armor would that be? Anything military grade will easily stop a 357 SIG, hell a 357 magnum for that matter.

IMO it's great to see the military using American Company weapons. Not just made in America by some foriegn company.

How about American companies that make weapons overseas, ala Springfield Armory? Does it stick in your craw to hold that fine 1911 design that was made in Brazil?

If it puts American workers to work I could care less what company makes it. I would rather an American made product by a foreign company than a foreign made product by an American company any day of the week and twice on Sunday. My dad's Chevy truck is less American than his neighbor's Toyota. It was born south of the border.

For that matter all I really care about is if it's the best design available. My handguns are German, my long guns American.

Last edited:

nmbrinkman

When I was on active duty '00-'04 in the Corps we were always told that they went to the M9 because it was friendlier to the influx of female marines. I'm glad to see they've upgraded to a larger caliber even if it isn't Corps-wide quite yet.

David the Gnome

Just for clarification, these are supposed to replace the hobbled together 1911's that the Marine Corps has been using for Recon and MARSOC. These won't be replacing M9's for regular Marines, at least not initially.

Here's a pic of the old MEU-SOC 1911's Recon was using. They're built off old surplus 1911 frames with a bunch of aftermarket parts to basically give them a brand new upper.

800px-MEU-SOC-pistol-1.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MEU(SOC)_pistol

These new Colts are a definite step up in quality from the old 1911's they were using before.

tahunua001

there is already a thread here discussing this topic. they are paying close to 2000 dollars per pistol. that is outrageous for a military contract especially considering FN herstal and remington are only getting around $800 for every M4/16 that they sell the DOD.

this is all just a publicity stunt anyway. it will be used by specops and the competition shooter teams. these will not be picked up by your average grunt on sentry duty or given any real front line service.

EDIT:
I find it interesting that a 100+ year old design with a few modifications is going to be used by the U.S. Marine Corp.
look at what they were stuck with in WWII, while the army was getting those pretty new M1 garands the marine corps was stick with the old bolt action rifle and they didn't even get the nicer M1917s either, they got the 1903. they not only used those 1903s but they even continued to use them, at least as a sharpshooter and sniper role all the way until vietnam, meaning that they were using a 60+ year old design with a few modifications.

contrary to popular belief, DOD does not mean cutting edge. I was in the navy from 08 to spring of this year and the entire time I was using stuff that had not been upgraded since before I was born.

Last edited:
I don't find it surprising at all. I love John Moses Browning. Man was a genius.

He was, but the M1911 was only his gun from a basic standpoint. The military mandated a LOT of changes that were not of Browning's choosing. That gun is no longer being used when they made more changes for the M1911A1. So a lot of what is a "1911" isn't Browning's design.

Larry Vickers on the 1911: "But the 1911 is not a plug-and-play platform. Even a $2,000 semi-custom 1911 likely will need a pricey trip to a gunsmith for tweaking. Changing out all but the simplest parts will demand expert hand filing and fitting."

Funny how both Vickers and Hackathorn were 1911 folks until they got asked by HK to help with a gun's design. Now they aren't. Hackathorn didn't like lasers either, not until he became a paid spokesman for them. Sorry, but Vickers' perspective, though with a lot of knowledge behind it, is going to be really biased, maybe even contractually.

Zathras

I still don't know why they ever changed from the 1911 platform in the first place..as far as I am concerned, it cant be beat. I think it had something to do with "sharing " ammo with nato or some such nonsense..

I am a HUGE 1911 fan and personally I am glad to see the US military purchasing a MADE IN THE USA firearm.

My Dad was a WWII vet and he had nothing but the highest praise for the 1911. He found it accurate and a heck of a manstopper in the jungles of the Pacific.

On a side note that is a beautiful looking pistol and if I hade some extra cash laying around I would be looking to buy one for myself.

TunnelRat

personally I am glad to see the US military purchasing a MADE IN THE USA firearm.

Then it should comfort you to know that the Berettas the US military uses are made in this country. As are the machineguns made by FN. Last I knew it was a requirement of the contracts.

ILLINI

For Special Ops this decision makes sense. If you are talking newbies or the average soldier, then it is not a good decision. I see this play out at the local range nearly every week. Some guy with a 1911 drones on about how great his gun is and proceeds to explain how everyone's non-1911 gun is inferior. Then he shoots... and we see patterns that look like a shotgun. Unfortunately, this performance is pretty typical. Lots of flinching and lots of missing. If you can handle the gun and the caliber fine, but if you can not, I believe that you are better served by the Beretta 92...Illini

BGutzman

For Special Ops this decision makes sense. If you are talking newbies or the average soldier, then it is not a good decision. I see this play out at the local range nearly every week. Some guy with a 1911 drones on about how great his gun is and proceeds to explain how everyone's non-1911 gun is inferior. Then he shoots... and we see patterns that look like a shotgun. Unfortunately, this performance is pretty typical. Lots of flinching and lots of missing. If you can handle the gun and the caliber fine, but if you can not, I believe that you are better served by the Beretta 92...Illini

LOL I cant believe you wrote that..... Someone get some hip waders.... no offense to you but thats pretty rich.... I have served with a 45 and I know many, many service people who never wanted the beretta and have no problem with the 1911 nor shotgun patterns...

And just for the record I like beretta but it is not a 45 and its not a 1911...

TunnelRat,

Then it should comfort you to know that the Berettas the US military uses are made in this country. As are the machineguns made by FN. Last I knew it was a requirement of the contracts.

Yet the home company's for Beretta and FN are NOT US based companies, so the money does NOT stay here from the sales.

TunnelRat

Yet the home company's for Beretta and FN are NOT US based companies, so the money does NOT stay here from the sales.

Yup, that's true. But at least it's putting Americans to work, which IMO is more important.

FloridaVeteran

Newbie in croc-infested waters?

I first fired a 1911-frame in 1955. It was my dad's Service Model Ace .22LR; I was a kid and it was cool. Many years later, I bought a Colt '70 series and had it tuned for competition at a custom shop in my area.

About that time, early 1970s, I bought a Llama IXA (9A) for just over $100. It was a 1911 replica, with beefy deep-cut wood grips. When I stripped it, it looked like it had been cut by a hand chisel, not machined. It rattled, side-to-side. What the heck, I took it to the range. Out of the box, it punched 10-rings in a decently tight group, to my amazement and despite being, seemingly, loose as a goose. Wanna know which of the two I will grab when something goes wrong in the middle of the night? Always, evermore and no questions asked - the gun that will go Bang when I want it to, not the gun that won a few trophies.

tahunua001

so is it going to become the new side arm or is it only gonna be used bt recon?
limited fielding for specops and maybe marksmanship teams. there is a difference between special needs weaponry and completely ditching the existing DOD approved firearms.

NJgunowner

As much as I love the 1911, in this case the Marines would have been better off with a P220. Much easier to service and maintain, very reliable.

From a shooters perspective I prefer the feel of the 1911 though. It's just so much easier to strip my p226 :p

Hardbawl

When I got out of the Army, I wanted a 1911. Back then, it was just a .45. After several Colts that didn't work, I migrated to Glock because it works.

After a while a market sprung up for companies that could make a 1911 that worked as well as the Glock. As we all know there are a lot of companies that can and do produce 1911s that are as reliable as any pistol made.

Since Colt is going to be supplying our troops, let us hope that they take some lessons from the competition and build a pistol that is reliable.