Well Boys: The 1911 is back & it will be made by Colt. 101 yrs & still going.

Hunter Customs

In another tread on this forum there's some that have the silly ideal that you can't trust your life to a 1911, well it looks like 12000 Marines is going to.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

JWT

Knew there was something I like about jar-heads. Excellent choice. Much better than the Beretta 9mm IMO.

BGutzman

Looks like there not so sold on the koolaid gun... It might be they will still have them but this appears to be the new mainstay....

mete

Wars are not won with handguns but I like things that are 100 years old and still going strong .Makes me all warm and fuzzy !! You kids might not understand that .:p

USMC & 1911 what a match ....:D:D:D

" It's obsolete until you need it "

jfrey

Now if they will ditch those plastic pea shooters and get back to the M14 they will have some serious fighting power.

Skadoosh

Now if they will ditch those plastic pea shooters and get back to the M14 they will have some serious fighting power.
barf.gif

Sheriff Gotcha

I would of liked to see them adopt some FNP Tacticals that'd be a nice combo if you ask me.

Can soldiers choose their own sidearm or is it whatever the Gov't decides to issue?

BarryLee

So, if Colt did get the extended order for 12,000 I wonder what their capacity is like. While I do see random Colt 1911s at the LGS the sales people tell me they are very difficult to obtain. I wonder if this might make it even more difficult for the civilian market.

BarryLee

Can soldiers choose their own sidearm or is it whatever the Gov't decides to issue?

Pretty sure some Special Forces members have latitude in weapons selection, but I think the average person takes what is issued.

Coltman 77

TunnelRat:
I love 1911s but I think there were better options, certainly for the money they spent.

Agreed.

I'm a big fan of my Colt 1911's -- first pistol I bought as a young man in 1974 was a Colt MKIV Series 70 Govt Model. :)

However, if I were going into harm's way today, in 2012, I'd take an HK 45 as my secondary sidearm.

Larry Vickers on the 1911: "But the 1911 is not a plug-and-play platform. Even a $2,000 semi-custom 1911 likely will need a pricey trip to a gunsmith for tweaking. Changing out all but the simplest parts will demand expert hand filing and fitting."

More analysis here: http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2011/06/08/read-this-before-you-buy-your-first-1911/

arch308

IMO it's great to see the military using American Company weapons. Not just made in America by some foriegn company. The 92 is a fine weapon I suppose but I would prefere an American design just on general principles. The 1911 is truly that.

Falcon642

If I was restricted to fmj, I would switch to 45 also.

Can we give an award for best post of this thread? If so we have a winner.

We can debate 9mm vs. .40 S&W vs. .45 ACP with JHP, but with FMJ there is no comparison, the .45 is the best (though I could be talked into .357 Sig which has better penetration against body armor).

Mello2u

The linked article in the OP left me wanting to know more. This article on the militarytimes.com tells more.
USMC orders 4036 M45 CQBP pistols from Colt
The contract is for 400 to 12,000 pistols as part of a contract worth up to $22.5 million, according to Marine Corps Systems Command. That means the price per pistol is $1,875. Sources tell us the Marine Corps is ordering 4000 pistols.
Piggybacking on a few things we previously reported about the winning pistol, we’ve learned Colt developed a dual recoil system for the CQBP that’s based on the recoil system found in their 10mm models. The modification was made to reduce stresses on the frame and slide and enable the pistol to complete the Corps’ required shooting schedule. Sources tell us the pistol had to survive a 20,000 round shooting schedule. The .45 caliber pistol also has a series 80 firing pin safety, is entirely Cerakoted tan and has a lanyard loop and night sights.
http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/07/20/usmc-orders-4036-m45-cqbp-pistols/#more-15389

I find it interesting that a 100+ year old design with a few modifications is going to be used by the U.S. Marine Corp.