Was the m1 carbine unique?

gunnut45

In 1962 as an Air Policeman in the USAF SAC I was issued an M-2, a M-12 riot gun and a S&W Combat Masterpiece 38spl. I enjoyed shooting the M-2 on the range. I now have 3 M1 carbines, a Plainfield, 30 cal, a 9mm Citadel, and an Iver Johnson 22. I enjoy shooting all of them. But the Citadel 9mm needs some work to make it a reliable short range defensive firearm.

Spooler41

15 Round 1911 mags

Rick B, your post that mentions 15 round 1911 mags is the first I've seen.
I was at a yard sale a few years ago and bought a box of gun cleaning
left overs,two bags of cleaning patches, 3/4 bottle of Hoppes, brushes for 9mm,
.45, .38/.357 and some unidentified pistol magazines, one short an two really long ones. Fast forward,18 months and I rediscovered the box and magazines
and was trying to ID them, turns out they were.45 auto, 1911 stuff. They all
fit my RIA 1911 ,one is a 7 round and the really long ones are 15 round.
The big ones look really stupid in my .45 so I'll probably not use them.
They are just some thing I'd never heard of before and I can't imagine anyone
trying to use one.

.......... Jack

tahunua001

I've seen a lot of aftermarket 15 rounders but I have have seen milsurp 15 round 1911 mags. I have one that I bought for an enfield45 I was putting together, works in a ballester molina as well.

salvadore

35+ years ago, I read a book of a Marine's first hand account of fighting in WWll islands. He really liked his carbine. Does anyone recognize the book? I'd love to reread it. My memory sucks, but I believe the author was a Marine officer, and it was the only time I read positive remarks about the carbine.

bamaranger

With the old breed ??

E.B Sledge wrote a book, actually two I think, on marines in WWII in the Pacific, one called "With the old Breed". It was used as a basis for the TV series "The Pacific".

Sledge was not an officer, but was a mortarman, enlisted, and would have carried a carbine I suppose. Its been about 25 years since I read his books, and do not recall any details on the carbine, but I can't even remeber the title of his second book, so who's to say. One book dealt with the was the assault on Pelielu, and the other on Okinawa....again, if I remember right.

"With the Old Breed", should be required reading in our schools.

Audie Murphy's book, "To Hell and back" has several passages on the carbine...but he was in Europe. More required reading.

Buzzcook

Another weapon unique to the US and its allies was the .50 caliber machine gun.
iirc the only competition to the American M2 was the Soviet Model 1938 in 12.7 x 107mm.

jimbob86

Or just an M1 chambered in 45 ACP.

The .30 carbine cartridge would make the basic load lighter and cheaper to produce, I would think, than the same number of rounds of .45ACP ..... sure, it's not a huge amount, until you figure that there were 4 or more support troops for every infantryman in an army of what? Near 10 million?

raimius

Of the widely fielded rifles, I suppose you might compare the M1 carbine with the SKS. Obviously, the 7.62x39 cartridge was adopted a bit more widely in the Eastern Bloc than the .30 Carbine over here!

Reportedly, the M1/M2 carbine was pretty popular with some special forces and indigenous troops in the early parts of Vietnam. If you are only shooting out to 100-200 yards, the 5lb short rifle with a decent sized magazine makes a lot of sense, especially when the alternative is a .308 battle rifle built to take out targets at 500+ yards.

RickB

I shot some 3-gun with my Carbine, and it was great out to about 150 yards (much better than a .45, that's for sure), but when the distances got out beyond that, the trajectory, or, rather, taking the trajectory into account, made it hard to hit anything.
I think the bullet drops almost four feet at 350 yards.
I whiffed on sixteen, 12" targets at 300-400 yards, but I don't know how well you (I . . .) could do with anything at that distance, on a "two way range"?
S.L.A. Marshall did an extensive study of combat, and determined that individual targets were rarely engaged beyond 300 yards, since you generally can't see someone, who's trying to not be seen, at distances greater than that.
Didn't stop the U.S. from adopting the M14, or changing the ammo and barrels on the M16 for engaging out to 400 or more yards.

GLS_1956

As previously stated by others, the M-1 Carbine was intended to used by non riflemen. My father a World War Two veteran, 11th Airborne Division, of the Pacific Theater of Operations. His primary weapon was the 81mm mortar, so the M-1 Carbine was issued to him. Dad called the Carbine the gun you liked to carry, but not the one you wanted to fight with. He chose to carry, and use, the M-1 Garand rifle.

Two of my Uncles served in Korea, during that unpleasantness. The both preferred the M-1 Carbine over the 45 pistol, saying the 30 carbine penetrated heavy winter clothing the Chinese soldiers wore.

salvadore

Just a historical note, I remember seeing Cambodian troopies training with carbines in 71. The ruff puffs and....Vietamese militia types carried M1 carbines.

Does anyone know where one might purchase one of these magic Chinese coats?

Any ideas as to what other calibers they stop?
I have heard of clothing plugging up HPs so they do not expand, but never a cotton or similar natural fiber coat that can block even that round so many think is a pea shooter.