Want a SA, need advice

Crunchy Frog

As to J.P. Sauer & Sohn, they sold off their Single Action business to Weirich (?) and have joined with the firm of Sig to become Sig Sauer. Weirich, as I understand it, still makes the Single Action revolver under the name of the Great Western II. So far as I know, replacement parts are available from Numrich (Gun Parts Corp.). Some parts I know of, the trigger guard and backstrap, are interchangeable with Uberti guns, though monor fitting may be required.

Bob Wright
The German revolver is now imported by EAA (European American Armory, I believe) as the Bounty Hunter revolver.

EMF (Early and Modern Firearms) imports and sells Pietta cartridge revolvers under the name Great Western 2.

Rifletom

Correct, ^^^ this is what I have. Pietta Great Western II, Gunfighter series. Excellent revolver. Looking at another Pietta, either .357/38 spl or .45 Colt.

jackmoser65

I recently exchanged e-mails with a gentlemen who is the SASS head honcho for one of the two SASS regions in my state. He commented that to get into CAS, between the guns and the period-correct clothing required, you're looking at plus or minus $10,000. Yes -- that's TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS.

That is just patently false. I don't doubt that some spent that much and more but to think that you have to spend that to get into it is just ridiculous.

Two revolvers $1000
Rifle $600-$800
Shotgun $500
Leather $300
Let's just say you're going to get a single period correct outfit with a felt hat and decent boots, so maybe $1000. That's $3600 without even trying to save money but you could easily get by with spending a lot less on your guns, leather and costume.

I've never found the old model Rugers (3 screw) to have triggers any better than the new models.

My preference is for OM's but I've had literally dozens of each. Never had an OM that absolutely needed tuning. Most are a crisp 2-3lbs out of the box. Never had NM that did not need professional help. It's not even close. The transfer bar needs creep to work so it will always have that against it. They're always gritty and heavy. A tuned NM with a proper 2-3lb letoff will make you think an untuned NM is broken.

The rest are just imitations. Good imitations, yes... but still not the real thing. I still have a few of them... but they are safe queens now. Life is too short to carry a fake.
In my opinion, Nothing beats a genuine Colt.

I will quite often take the "fake, imitation, not the real thing" over the "genuine" Colt. They are more often than not a much better value with 99.99% of the appeal. In the case of USFA and now Standard Mfg, they're 100% of the appeal of the original 1st generation guns. The only "real thing" in my opinion. The Colt SAA is one of the most overrated revolvers in existence. An over-polished 3rd gen is a far cry from the original guns.