Walther PDP

TunnelRat

I honestly don't notice it one way or the other. Slide to frame fit isn't something I've ever paid a lot of attention to, and I tend not to shake or twist my pistols (at least on polymer framed service pistols, on 1911s that are higher dollar I do check it as I like to think the money is going somewhere). I've had pistols in the past that had "loose" slide to frame fit, but very good barrel to slide fit and were still quite accurate. My experience has been barrel to slide fit is more important than slide to frame fit, though I can see why people would like both.

kilotanker22

I honestly don't notice it one way or the other. Slide to frame fit isn't something I've ever paid a lot of attention to, and I tend not to shake or twist my pistols (at least on polymer framed service pistols, on 1911s that are higher dollar I do check it as I like to think the money is going somewhere). I've had pistols in the past that had "loose" slide to frame fit, but very good barrel to slide fit and were still quite accurate. My experience has been barrel to slide fit is more important than slide to frame fit, though I can see why people would like both.
This is how I was thinking about it as well.

wild cat mccane

Slide fit might matter on a Browning tilting barrel design, but modern gun lockup is a hybrid Browning Peter design. Your barrel is locked more independently of the slide (where the slide isn't out of spec of course).

But it is annoying to hear a rattle.

TunnelRat

I also noticed people putting up targets that did not match PPQ first targets. Individual shooters? Sure. But when the PPQ came out, it was always fist sized holes. PDP first targets are kind junk looking until a red dot goes on.

Red dots don’t improve mechanical accuracy. Adding a red dot doesn’t suddenly improve group size. If anything this sounds like the stock sights on the pistol are lacking.

In the PPQs, PDPs, and P99s I’ve owned I haven’t found any of them to be deficient when it comes to accuracy. Judging a target some shooters post online versus the memory of other shooters in the past seems fairly suspect, at least to me. If someone really wants to make a comparison then they should break out a ransom rest or at least have multiple shooters shoot each model, then compare group sizes between the models for each shooter.

There’s also an element of confirmation bias at work here, in my opinion. If you already have negative impressions of the pistol it’s not uncommon to look for those impressions validated. Now in fairness I imagine someone could argue the reverse about me. I will say that for me my impressions were mixed and my experience showed otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wild cat mccane

Outside of the LPAs Q5, these are the first elevation sights on the normal Walther, and these current sights are brand new to Walther.

I'm saying I think Walther is sending out a lot of the PDPs with sights "off." No test targets in the PDP too, which the P99 and PPQ had. I am saying the red dot quickly corrects that. But first shots, it looks nothing like the "normal" first shots of PPQ.

I am not saying the PDP is mechanically inaccurate.

TunnelRat

“Off” sights don’t change group sizes, however, and your comment was about group sizes (fist sized for the PPQ). Poorly aligned sights will change point of impact. The only way a set of sights should change group size is if the sights were so large that they don’t allow precision, which doesn’t seem to be the case here, or if the sights are somehow loose. The group sizes I was able to get with the polymer sights on the PDP match what I got in the past with my PPQ. I have heard of people having a point of impact not matching point of aim with these sights, however.

cashel

Hi, new here. Anyway I purchased a PDP 4 1/2" full-size some months back. It shot extremely well, the trigger was great, not a lot difference from my PPQ but I like it very much.
I'm a Sig guy and have built 4- custom P320's The 320 trigger is good but not as good as the PDP but they are still good and for a little $$ it can be very good

I was at the range and a fellow asked if he could hold the PDP so I gave it to him about that time his dog jumped up on him and he dropped the gun, it fell and hit the concrete and REALLY messed up the slide, he said I'm sorry and left. I'm a bad one for messed up guns so I just got rid of it.

Now I hear there is going to be a PDP Pro that is different from the PDP?, so I'm interested to find out more about it, what's different? what do I need to know about it? This time I'll be getting a PDP 4" compact. Thanks

wild cat mccane

Comes factory with the Dynamic Trigger (which Walther will install on your regular PDP if you mail it to them--meaning the DT is something you can buy for any PDP/PPQ), comes with funnel jet, and threaded barrel. The Pro will have the slide milled to include the new PDP optic mount groove. 3 mags each. Compact with come with mag +2 bases for all three 15rnd mags. MSRP is $829 on all three models.

Conversely, the Canik Rival and SFx Mete/SFT Mete come with the funnel jet. Rival comes with Canik's take of the Dynamic Trigger. Mete Black edition is $440 right now and SFT is 390. Rival Grey and Black are currently $660. The Canik is mentioned because it's a direct copy of the Walther. (I have a pic back when the first TP9 came out right next to my PPQ.

The PDP Pro will be in the three sizes, but not yet announced for the 5" compact.

cashel

Hey thanks, wow there are some changes I'll need to decide on. You know what optics the new optic cut will be for? The Pro seems to be the gun to get, since you can add the trigger if one wants, is the Dynamic trigger that good?

I had the Canik SFX a few years back when this model was introduced, It may have been the best trigger, it shot very good and was a fantastic buy for the money but had a friend that was crazy about it and I was into the Sig P320's so I sold it to him. Canik is a good gun but it's price is starting to go up, it's still good a good buy though.

Walther is kinda in my blood, It seems I've had some Walther in the safe forever until now.

wild cat mccane

So the Canik is a direct copy of the Walther sear. But these new models have good upgrades that have me thinking of buying. The Mete and Rival update the SFx grip/frame.They made some cuts to thin it up. So that makes it a serious contender in my eyes. You can buy two Metes for the price of one PDP Pro. Pride of ownership? agreed. Not totally equal. But a Rival slide looks an awful like the $2,000 slide cuts on the Wilson M&P. There is also the SFx 2 in the works, which will likely be the Rival in a cheaper version.

You'll have to get one Walther Forum to see if the DT is worth it to you. Arguably, people spending 200 for a trigger are probably going to be positive about it, and it doesn't seem universally accepted as worth it. That's probably because the Walther sear is just a thing of magic. One person with a trigger gauge said their pull increased. Walther says it will go down: https://waltherarms.com/dynamic-performance-trigger-grey/

I think unlike something like the CZ P10 Competition, you are coming in less than buying the parts separate with the PDP Pro. Do you want a threaded barrel, do you want a Taylor replaceable funnel jet, do you want the Dynamic Trigger set. If not, I don't think the Pro is bringing much to the table. If you want one, you are getting the others for almost free.

The Pro slide will still use multiple plates. You still will have to get one free from Walther. The Pro isn't coming with all of them. It just adds the "stabilizing" grooves like the VP9, etc.

TunnelRat

Hey thanks, wow there are some changes I'll need to decide on. You know what optics the new optic cut will be for? The Pro seems to be the gun to get, since you can add the trigger if one wants, is the Dynamic trigger that good?

I had the Canik SFX a few years back when this model was introduced, It may have been the best trigger, it shot very good and was a fantastic buy for the money but had a friend that was crazy about it and I was into the Sig P320's so I sold it to him. Canik is a good gun but it's price is starting to go up, it's still good a good buy though.

Walther is kinda in my blood, It seems I've had some Walther in the safe forever until now.

The Pro uses a plate system to mount optics, similar to the non-Pro PDP. Walther allows you one free optic plate that you order from them online (you get a link/QR code in the pistol box). This optic plate determines the manufacturer of optics that will work on your pistol, so you order the one you want (you get to choose). You then screw the plate to your slide and then screw the optic to the plate. Unlike some other companies, the fulfillment process has been fairly quick for many, taking as little as a week for a number of people.

Given the Pro uses a different optic plate design from the standard PDP, I’m not sure the availability of those plates compared to the availability of the standard plates. Depending on that availability the fulfillment might be a slower process. Hopefully someone else can sound off on that.

wild cat mccane

Someone said the PDP after a certain serial would have the new grooves. However, not a single person has posted they have a regular PDP with the new milled slide. (from the Walther Forum that is)

Pro isn't out yet.

TunnelRat

I do know the Pro isn’t out yet. Is there a release date?

To clarify, when I say “perhaps others can sound off”, I mean it as perhaps someone has heard something from the Walther forums, Reddit, etc about whether these new plates will be available with the release of these new slides. Some companies, like HK and CZ, have had delays and supply issues when it comes to optic plates, which means you have a pistol that is “optics capable” but you don’t have the hardware to use that feature.

Last edited:

TunnelRat

I’m not entirely sure what you mean.

I see where the last sentence in my previous comment comes across as passive-aggressive. That wasn’t my point and I will remove it.

Last edited:

kilotanker22

I got to go shoot this for the first time yesterday. Overall, I am impressed with how the gun handles. I did not find the recoil impulse to be especially snappy as I have heard people say on YouTube. However, context matters and I was shooting my 10mm during the same range visit. It is possible that I did not notice the increased muzzle rise and recoil from the Walther, because the recoil and muzzle rise of the 10mm is significantly more.

So far, I like everything about the gun save for one thing, sights. The sights are not bad per say, but I would not classify them as good either. The problem stems from two factors for me. First, the front sight dot is small and I found it a little difficult to see clearly. Second, I am not a huge fan of three dot sights. I would be much happier with a sight similar to what came on my Springfield XDM Elite. That said, not liking the sights is a moot point for me, as I intend to install an optic once the optic plate finally shows up. I have a Vortex Venom sight I will install. This sight requires a little filing to fit into the recess of the PDP. Nothing that cannot be accomplished in just a few minutes with a flat file.

When filing the sight to fit the mounting recess, I was careful to check for fit between each pass of the file. As a result, I have an optic that fits the recess perfectly. This relieves my concern about the lack of lugs on the slide to absorb the brunt of recoil. The screws will hold the optic down and the body of the optic is in contact with the slide. We shall see how this works out.

I got an email last week from Walther that my optic plate order had been sent to the warehouse for shipment, but they said it would take 14-21 days depending on the shipping carrier. I have to say that waiting nearly a month to be able to mount an optic on an "optic ready" pistol is disappointing. I would gladly pay more to have the most common plates included with the gun.

TunnelRat

I got an email last week from Walther that my optic plate order had been sent to the warehouse for shipment, but they said it would take 14-21 days depending on the shipping carrier. I have to say that waiting nearly a month to be able to mount an optic on an "optic ready" pistol is disappointing. I would gladly pay more to have the most common plates included with the gun.

This is a complaint I have with Walther, HK, CZ, etc. that don’t include plates in the box. Plate systems need a plate. To me it’s not “optics ready” if I can’t buy the pistol and attach a red dot out of the box. It’s more “optics capable”. At least Walther, as compared to HK and CZ, will ship you one plate for free. HK makes you pay for any plates despite their pistol being notably more money. The optics ready CZs can often be found cheaper than Walther, but even then to me if you are buying an optics ready pistol you likely want the plates (if the system requires them).

wild cat mccane

Walther had it right with the first Q5 that came with all plates.

Now they don't.

Strangely, the lower cost guns seem to include all 5 (probably easier with a small presence) (example: Canik, AREX).

Even the new $2000 CZ Green doesn't come with the universal Red Dot plate. That's just silly.

TunnelRat

Walther had it right with the first Q5 that came with all plates.

Now they don't.

Strangely, the lower cost guns seem to include all 5 (probably easier with a small presence) (example: Canik, AREX).

Even the new $2000 CZ Green doesn't come with the universal Red Dot plate. That's just silly.

Yeah there’s a degree of irony in that the “budget” options come with the plates.

A note on the Arex is that the plates are polymer with steel inserts. I don’t have an issue with this in theory, but the steel inserts are metric, meaning M3 or M4 screws. Those aren’t what come with many optics, at least the Holosun and Trijicon options. That means you have to source the screws elsewhere, which isn’t overly easy for the M4 screws, at least if you want them to sit flush in the optic. Arex includes some screws for the optics with the pistol, but they are socket head and don’t fit flush on the Holosun 407k I used. The ones I did find elsewhere sit flush, but I could either order them too short or too long. I ordered them too long and had them cut down.

With these plate systems the screws are critical and can be a real pain in the butt. At least Walther used relatively easy to find screws and their plates are set up to use the common screws that come with the optics.

kilotanker22

After checking the mail on my way home from work, I was pleased to find my optics plate in the mailbox. Got the venom mounted up and I will go sight it in tomorrow. I like how low the red dot sits in this slide. Now to wait on my holster to arrive and look for some night sights to co-witness with the red dot, if such a thing exists, and find a few more.magazines for this thing.