Walther PDP

wild cat mccane

A regret for sure. I agree the cuts are not as "melted" as the PPQ at all. I can't find sharp edges on my Q5. I can't find "smooth" areas on my PDP.

Also, my Q5 cuts work just as well as the massive protruding PDP. So making the slide large doesn't make sense. The "subterrain" slide can't do anything better than the Q5 slide, they are equally deep when I look at the two togetther. So kinda lame.
gQrUfbum.jpg

Not to just be a naysayer, but it really is shocking how ugly the PDP compared to the P99 PPQ.

HW6a2KNm.jpg

Even larger than the Creed which everyone called too big (Creed in front) where you can see the PDP peaking out at the top and bottom.

RPEKw30m.jpg

TunnelRat

So then a question might be, why did you buy a PDP? It doesn’t seem to have anything you particularly like.

As an aside, of the complaints I remember about the Creed, it being too bulky isn’t one that particularly comes to mind. It was a budget-esque pistol with a trigger system many didn’t understand. I think that more than the aesthetics are the reason the Creed didn’t sell overly well. Meanwhile the PDP seems to be selling well enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wild cat mccane

So many regrets in life :)

I do like the Walther trigger. The grip texture is what everyone is talking about. It's perfect.

I will say, I can't feel a difference between it and the Q5, both in my hand now. None.

I didn't feel a difference of the Q5 Anti Friction Coating blue trigger bar and a normal PPQ.

I think people might be making up the PDP trigger differences. :D

TunnelRat

Triggers tend to fairly subjective. That said, my PDP pulls at a lower weight on my trigger pull gauge than the PPQs I owned, which is fairly objective, and subjectively is less gritty than the PPQs I owned. I also find the texture really helps with the snappiness of these pistols, which I always found true personally on the PPQ and is mitigated a fair amount by the PDP. I think years ago here I said that for slow fire groups the PPQ was one of my favorite pistols, but at speed I shot other pistols better. The PDP closes that gap for me to an extent.

Some people don’t like certain pistols, myself included. That being said, I generally don’t go around to threads posted by people that just bought a new pistol and are excited about it and proceed to tell them all the reasons why I personally don’t like that pistol. That behavior isn’t overly uncommon on this forum to be sure, but it always struck me as sort of petty and unproductive. When someone is considering buying a pistol sure I get wanting to help them make an informed purchase, but I generally don’t rain on someone else’s parade.

wild cat mccane

To be fair, I think Walther should get 30 Day guarantee returns on every PDP going forward until they tell us when the new slide is standard :)

But I take your point.

TunnelRat

I actually agree with you on that. It will still irk me somewhat that they made that change and my pistol will not have it, even knowing it’s to fix what is really a non-issue.

These days it seems pointless to be the first adopter of any firearm as they all seem to get a refresh in some way or another practically a year out from release. I guess I should know better by now.

doofus47

What do you suppose that the odds are of a Walther-manufactured or post-market P99 slide with optic plates?
I"m not sure how such a slide would get around the de-cocker, but when my eyes finally give up the ghost, a dot would be hot.

wild cat mccane

I personally think the P99 is dead.

I know the history of the P99 shipping in only 2 batches to the US over the years, have owned 7 since 2006...but I think it's dead now. At least to the US. I have been looking each day for a year to pick one up.

I think there is zero chance of the P99 getting any updates.

If it were updated with a red dot mount, it would be surprisingly easy. The P99 QA slide had a small deocker button, it wasn't big like the P99 AS. If Walther used the P99 QA slide, the slide cut out on the PPQ Q5 would work just fine. The decocker for the AS would still work.

Or, thank HK for stealing on their ideas and return the favor by moving the decocker to the P30 location :)

TunnelRat

Or, thank HK for stealing on their ideas and return the favor by moving the decocker to the P30 location :)

The decocker on the P30 was in that location as of the P2000. The P2000, to my understanding, was originally planned to be LEM only. When it became apparent that there was still a demand for a DA/SA variant, the HK engineers made the simplest decocker possible. They added a short metal extension to the rear of the pistol, out the frame, that directly connects to the sear. It’s a bit crude imo, but effective. I’m not sure I’d call it stealing Walther’s idea, as Walther’s decocker is more complex. For that matter HK had the trigger guard located magazine release before Walther (think back to the P7). They “borrow” from each other fairly regularly.

wild cat mccane

I meant HK took Walther's modular backstrap, general finger grooves and texture is a direct rip from the PPQ to the P30.

You're right about the P2000. I actually like the P2000 more than I liked my P30.

I think Walther took the ski bump from HK, but rightfully got rid of it in the P99 gen2. Finger pinchers.

TunnelRat

I meant HK took Walther's modular backstrap, general finger grooves and texture is a direct rip from the PPQ to the P30.

You're right about the P2000. I actually like the P2000 more than I liked my P30.

I think Walther took the ski bump from HK, but rightfully got rid of it in the P99 gen2. Finger pinchers.

The P30 came out in 2006. The PPQ as it was sold commercially came out in 2011. I’m not sure how HK stole that from Walther, unless they traveled through time. Even the P99 RAD, the precursor to the PPQ, came out in 2008, after the P30.

The back strap system for HK also started with the P2000 when it came out in 2001. Walther of course had it on the P99 in 1997. I’m not sure how long the P2000 was in development, maybe that was enough time for HK to see that and copy it.

wild cat mccane

TunnelRat

Always gotta be right. Fun thread that confirms everything you said.
https://www.hkpro.com/threads/walther-ppq-inspired-by-hk-p30.154363/

Funny that the P2000 was HK's move to mondernize with the P99 dominance and the P30 took away from the P99.

But the P99 and Q lives on for German use and the VP9 never did.

[

It’s less a function of me wanting to be right and more a function of me wanting correct information passed along to the people reading. You tend to make very confident sounding statements that can be found incorrect in literally a matter of seconds.

You don’t need to scour HKPro to validate these things (though I spent a number of years on there and there is good information). Wikipedia lists the production dates of many firearms, and while Wikipedia isn’t the greatest source it’s generally as good or better than an Internet forum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_&_Koch_P30

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walther_PPQ

As for “live on for German use”, I’m not sure what you mean by that, but the VP9 has had multiple German police contracts for ~110,000 pistols total. Look at the “Users” section in the following link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_&_Koch_VP9

When you go back and look at the PPQ for the same section, it doesn’t show anything in terms of German contracts (that may just be a function of incomplete information).

When you look at the P99, Walther had many contracts all over the world, though when you add up the German contracts it still is less than what is listed for the VP9.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walther_P99

The VP9 seems to have done fairly well, contract wise.

kilotanker22

Sorry guys, I got super busy with work and didn't get a chance to post photos yesterday. My camera kinda sucks, but here ar a few photos.

Attachments

• received_4908842815859228.jpeg
    received_4908842815859228.jpeg
    54.6 KB · Views: 43
  • received_256809313169852.jpeg
    received_256809313169852.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 28
  • received_316169503906562.jpeg
    received_316169503906562.jpeg
    66.9 KB · Views: 38

TunnelRat

Congrats and enjoy your new firearm. Let us know how it goes for you when you shoot it.

kilotanker22

Congrats and enjoy your new firearm. Let us know how it goes for you when you shoot it.

Will do, weather is going to be crud here tomorrow, so probably Saturday. I have. A bunch of different ammo for 9mm so I will see if I can cause stoppages due to ammunition.

I will say that the fit of the slide to frame seems a little loose to me. It looks ok, but the slide wiggles around more than any of my other semi auto guns. Shake this gun with no cartridge in the chamber and the slide wiggles enough to make noise. I have torn it apart and everything seems ok. It is definitely the slide to frame fit though. Do the PDP pistols you guys have have a fairly loose slide to frame fit, enough for the slide to wiggle when there is not a round in the chamber?

Fishbed77

Do the PDP pistols you guys have have a fairly loose slide to frame fit, enough for the slide to wiggle when there is not a round in the chamber?

Yes - the slide-to-frame fit of my PDP is much more loose than my other Walthers - which puts it on par with most of my Glocks.

wild cat mccane

Confirming what Fish said.

Yes.

The PPQ had a few say the slide rattled. I did not experience it new or through lots of rounds on several. I do think the PDP in general appears to be getting a more "loose" agreement on the Walther forum. The P99 didn't seem to get that many comments on it.

Does that affect accuracy? I don't know. I also noticed people putting up targets that did not match PPQ first targets. Individual shooters? Sure. But when the PPQ came out, it was always fist sized holes. PDP first targets are kind junk looking until a red dot goes on.

Today I took the new PDP out and it wasn't as impressive, making me think the sights came "off." Out of the box. I don't suspect mechanically problems.