Walther PDP

kilotanker22

Ordered a Walther PDP and it finally arrived at the LGS. Gonna pick it up this weekend. Super stoked about this gun. Now to decide what optic to install on it. Optics on pistols is a new concept for me. What are your favorite micro optics for semi-auto pistols? I had a Vortex Venom dot that I liked pretty well.

wild cat mccane

I am picking up my second 5" compact framed PDP in a few hours too. Will post pics.

So you know, Walther just released a new slide design with the PDP Pro that has new plates with grooves milled. No one seems to know if this new slide is out on the regular PDPs yet.

It's good to know because if yours doesn't come with the new milled slide, Walther has a 30 day buy back. I have used it and it works. You ship them the gun, they send you a check really quick. But Walther also increased the MSRP by $50 went the Pro was announced.

I think the new slide will be important. If the PDP sticks around longer than the Walther gave their flagship PPQ, the slides without grooves will be a thing of the past.

TunnelRat

I have a slide without grooves on it. I currently have 1200 rd through that pistol with an optic attached without issues. Back when the PDP came out and people were concerned about the lack of indexing fencing, Walther released information on their internal testing in terms of what that system can take. You can also see a fairly extensive review on the system from Sage Dynamics here:

https://youtu.be/0ekkUA56lHU

As to the actual question from the OP, I think the Holosun series of pistol red dots is great. They can be found for very affordable prices and use the Trijicon RMR footprint, so if you decide you want a different optic down the line the plate you have can work with that without issue. For me they’ve been durable with clear glass and seemingly clean emitters. Look for sales with any optic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wild cat mccane

Holosun seems to be liked a vortex venom does not seemed to be liked. Meh...

My new purchase did not come with the grooves which will likely be standard. Darn.

My 5" compact straight from picking it up:

N8EjbOZm.jpg

ONIVziTm.jpg

VZVGAKdm.jpg

kilotanker22

I checked the serial number of mine, since I can't pick it up till Tuesday. Mine has the old optic cut. If I like this gun enough I will buy a 4" compact version with the new cut

TunnelRat

Given the results of the pistol already out there, I don’t really see as you’re losing anything by not having the new fencing for the plate. From Reddit it does appear this will be the way they are going forward, which makes sense that they wouldn’t have two optics cut patterns. If anything this doesn’t seem to solve anything, but will likely piss off some previous customers. All because of someone ranting on YouTube. Social media is a wonderful thing.

With regards to the Vortex, it’s a less popular and common optic footprint and the optics don’t appear as durable as Holosun or a number of other companies. That said Vortex has a good reputation, I own and have owned some of their optics, and I don’t think anyone would be wrong to go with Vortex.

Fishbed77

I purchased a 4.5” full size PDP on Valentines’ Day, and already have an RMR for it. Just waiting for the plate from Walther now.

IMHO, I only trust Trijicon pistol optics for serious use. I know the Aimpoint ACRO is well received, but the battery life makes it a non-starter for me. And a lot of folks trust Holosun, but I haven’t made that jump yet. And China.

TunnelRat

I have 5 RMRs on different pistols. To me they’re the gold standard. That said I started with a Holosun and it was an affordable introduction into pistol mounted red dots.

wild cat mccane

Hey Fish!

A walther thread will always bring the fish and cat :D

Post up a pic if you get a chance of that full size 4.5! Would love to see it.

The Walther full size vs compact grips are a thing of wonder/oddity. The difference is almost non existent in size between the two, HK redesigned their mags for 17 in their exact same sized "compact" P30/VP9 mags, Walther recalls their full size mags, the original P99 mags were 16, and then there is the P99 20rnd stock mags that don't stick out all that much from a compact P99/PPQ grip.

Last edited:

Fishbed77

Post up a pic if you get a chance of that full size 4.5! Would love to see it.

8gikZRe.jpg

I haven’t had the opportunity to shoot it yet, but a few first impressions:

-The grip texture and general ergonomics are excellent. No surprise there.

-The balance of the gun feels great, despite the light weight. This has to be the lightest full-size pistol on the market.

-No Ulm staghorn proofmark, and no test target. Not sure when Walther stopped doing these, but it’s a bit disappointing.

-The machining is a definite step down from the P99 or PPQ. Lots of sharp edges and even some faint milling marks on the outside of the slide. Nothing is nicely dehorned like the previous models.

Last edited:

wild cat mccane

Look at the polymer rail. They moved the proofing there. Cheaper than stamping the slide.

Lame.

Totally agree. When you pick it up, it is super light feeling despite being physically bulky. It's an odd brain to hand feeling :)

TunnelRat

My impression is the sharp edges are intentional, whether you like that or not is a question. Mine doesn’t have any obvious milling marks. I’ve owned multiple P99s and PPQs and none of them are what I would call the nicest milled pistol slides. They were good, but I’ve seen better. In the end this is an attempt by Walther at a duty pistol that will hopefully see larger sales stateside. I’m curious if that will happen.

TunnelRat

The size doesn’t bother me and I like the button on this. I know people that really loved the paddle release. I’ve owned a bunch of Walthers and HKs with the paddle, even though Walther did it better imo. I have no issue with the button and according to Walther it sells better stateside.

Fishbed77

Look at the polymer rail. They moved the proofing there. Cheaper than stamping the slide.

Lame.

Thanks. I see it there - very faint. Agreed that this is a bit lame.

My impression is the sharp edges are intentional, whether you like that or not is a question. Mine doesn’t have any obvious milling marks. I’ve owned multiple P99s and PPQs and none of them are what I would call the nicest milled pistol slides. They were good, but I’ve seen better. In the end this is an attempt by Walther at a duty pistol that will hopefully see larger sales stateside. I’m curious if that will happen.

The slide serrations, while bulky, do work extremely well, and I understand what Walther was going for here.

What is less impressive are the sharp beveled corners at the very front of the slide (reminiscent of budget Glock slides) and the clunky milling around the ejection port. This smacks of cost-cutting to me. My example also has very fine striations visible across most of the top and sides of the slide, as opposed to the very consistent finish of every P99 or PPQ I've handled. It's not a big deal (I have HKs with the same milling marks) - but it is noticeable.

oJS6xjV.jpg

The size doesn’t bother me and I like the button on this. I know people that really loved the paddle release. I’ve owned a bunch of Walthers and HKs with the paddle, even though Walther did it better imo. I have no issue with the button and according to Walther it sells better stateside.

Agreed. As button releases go, this is a very good one. Walther did do paddle releases better than HK, and it's still a shame to see them go.

On another positive note - my RMR plate was delivered to my house 6 days after requesting it - good on Walther for the fast processing and shipping.

Also, after mounting up the RMR, there may be something to the Walther marketing hype about the use of a red dot with this pistol. The PDP points FAR more naturally than any red-dot equipped Glock (the source of the majority of my experience with red dot-equipped defensive pistols), and the dot comes into view far more instinctively for me.

Last edited:

TunnelRat

I agree that for a dot equipped pistol the PDP points very naturally for most. I’ve shot Glocks so much now that I don’t have to search for a dot on either pistol when using two hands, but I do notice that one handed the PDP has an edge even for me. I’ve used it in two low light courses now and I’ve been impressed. I actually was a bit lukewarm on the PDP for a bit, but how well I’ve done with it in courses has surprised me. I also find that anytime I need to zero it (I’ve had to remove the optic on it a few times) it takes me relatively few shots. The trigger plus the ergonomics just make it easy to shoot. Initially for me it seemed to have a fair amount of muzzle flip and I still think that, but it returns to center so quickly that it’s a nonissue imo.

kilotanker22

I think it’s fair to say this pistol was made to a price point.

Made to a price point is ok by me. I am more concerned with the Ergonomics of the frame and grip. If I were paying twice what this gun costs, then I might be upset by some milling marks. When I got to handle one of these awhile back, I was sold. The gun literally felt like an extension of my hand. I knew right then I needed to buy one.

I plan to pick this one up tomorrow, if I really like it after shooting it, I am going to buy the compact 4" version as well.

wild cat mccane

I'm not into red dots at all.

I do wonder though if the PDP feels nicer for the red dot that say a Glock because of just how big the PDP slide is. The top of the slide + sights on the Glock is still lower than the PDP slide. Just massive. Light for sure. But huge.

I hate the rear presentation of the DPD. And I have noticed I do like the now missing Walther slide anti glare sight serrations.

TunnelRat

I remember you saying you don’t have experience with or at the time interest in red dots. I remain convinced you got rid of your PPQ unnecessarily. It seems like there are a number of features/changes about the PDP that you dislike that could easily have been solved by just not selling your PPQ.

I don’t see slide height necessarily helping with the red dot. I think that has more to do with the ergonomics of the pistol, though it’s true you don’t have to bring the pistol up as high with the PDP. I have pistols with trim slides and low bore axes that present quite well too. The P365XL and the Arex Delta are two of these.

I’ve never experienced glare off of the top of a slide. Removing those serrations is no doubt a cost cutting measure, but to me it has no effect on my use of the pistol. I could see it bothering someone from a “value” perspective.