Virginia AG shutting off reciprocity

osbornk

Per a local paper. "
An"agreement in principle' has been finalized for Virginia to maintain concealed carry handgun reciprocity agreements with other states, a state lawmaker has confirmed.

GOP lawmakers and the McAuliffe administration have agreed to terms of an agreement to reverse Attorney General Mark Herring's action that would end concealed carry reciprocity agreements with 25 states on Feb. 1.

A formal announcement is expected Friday.

"There has been a lot going on in the last couple of days and we just got it hammered out this morning," Delegate Terry Kilgore, R-Gate City said this afternoon. "I'm pleased we were able to get it. We needed it in our area because we needed to make sure people have the ability to cross state lines."

A series of bills moved through the Senate Courts of Justice Committee Wednesday that would restore reciprocity for permit holders traveling to and from Virginia.

"It's a deal where nobody got everything they wanted but we have agreed to voluntary - not mandatory - gun show background checks," Kilgore said. "Also, if you lose your concealed carry permit for any reason, you can't go to another state like Utah and get one and if you have a permanent [court-imposed] domestic protective order, you can't get a permit."

SamNavy

There's more back-door crap going on that will ever be made public right now. There are at least a half-dozen carry laws (backed by the VCDL) making their way through the VA legislature as we speak. Several of them un-do Herrings policy and a few are Constitutional Carry. At least a few would certainly be going to the Gov's desk for signatures... which he would likely VETO and have to state why. It's not known whether there would be the votes to overturn his veto, but the guess is "no".

However, something tells me that at least some of the pro-gun bills going through right now are going to get pulled, amended, rolled, die-in-committee... whatever now that this deal has been struck.

Voluntary background checks at gunshows are currently allowed and I'm sure many FFL's at shows gladly take money for transfers for people who want them, although I'm not sure what those numbers are... more than 0 and less than 1million... so that's probably just going to be something that "clarifies the law" although it's a win for the anti's that they will claim makes us safer.

I'm not sure what you need to have done to get a "Permanent domestic protective order" against you, but I'll assume it's because you have been violent already. It doesn't say that a person can't buy a gun, just that you can't get a CCW... which is useless because OC is allowed everywhere in VA and gun laws won't stop some wack-job from killing his ex.

AND/OR/MAYBE... the Governor knows that when the State Police releases the FOIA request and the lawyers tear it apart about what reasons they used to cancel reciprocity with other states that it wasn't going to be something they could justify. I firmly believe that the move by the AG the month before the main legislative season to cancel reciprocity was so they could use it as a bargaining chip in the greater game of pro/anti bill negotiations. Getting reciprocity back is good, Constititional Carry would be better, but in the end, we're back where were a few months ago and a few "anti" bills are going to make it through. Net loss for us on this one unless we manage to get enough Constitutional Carry votes to override the Governors veto... assuming it makes it to his desk.

SamNavy

Just read this on Breitbart (don't judge me):

"One of the concessions means Virginia State Police will be present at all gun shows to run background checks on a volunteer basis for private sellers"

This will be interesting... is the State Police going to do checks for free? Will shows have to pay for this service? Actual NICS checks?

I think this has the potential to be cool, but I can see the State Police not wanting to get involved at all. I wonder how it was sold to them. Sure, it means overtime for deputies, but will they want to run checks on both buyers AND sellers? There's not gonna be any line at that table, EVER... especially if there's a fee involved.

WVsig

Just read this on Breitbart (don't judge me):

"One of the concessions means Virginia State Police will be present at all gun shows to run background checks on a volunteer basis for private sellers"

This will be interesting... is the State Police going to do checks for free? Will shows have to pay for this service? Actual NICS checks?

I think this has the potential to be cool, but I can see the State Police not wanting to get involved at all. I wonder how it was sold to them. Sure, it means overtime for deputies, but will they want to run checks on both buyers AND sellers? There's not gonna be any line at that table, EVER... especially if there's a fee involved.

IIRC VA has a state check in addition to the NICS check. At an FFL you pay a $2 fee which goes to the state.

SamNavy

I totally forgot about that and I've bought at least 10guns here in the past few years. I know theres an extra VA State form thatI fill out, but I dont recall any FFL's I've used making a second phone call or using any online system other than NICS? Is there a real-time thing specifically for the state that I've missed?

osbornk

I don't think we gave up much if anything since the agreements are already outlined in Federal policies. I think the gun grabbers gave in because there are a lot of other legislation in the pipeline they knew they couldn't overcome.

I'm still going to take the Utah training on Saturday because it has been paid for and I don't trust the Virginia gun grabbers. They could dream up other problems once the general assemble closes and we could do nothing until next year.

osbornk

Looks like another expense for us taxpayers.

mehavey

Here at the Nation's Gunshow/Chantilly, state police are here anyway as part of the standard sponsor setup.
No big deal, and quite frankly I like to see them there (and they enjoy it too)

Doyle

I don't think we gave up much if anything

I agree. In fact, the voluntary background checks at gunshows is brilliant. It is a way to get some antis off our backs without infringing on anyone.

osbornk

Sometimes you just have to smile

RICHMOND — Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D) suddenly knows what it’s like to be on the other end of a Michael Bloomberg advertising campaign.

Everytown for Gun Safety, a group bankrolled by the former New York mayor, poured $2 million into TV ads last fall in a failed bid to help McAuliffe’s party take back the state Senate.

On Wednesday, Everytown launched a social media campaign against McAuliffe, who last week stunned gun-safety advocates by announcing that he had struck a gun deal with Republican legislators and the National Rifle Association. It shows side-by-side photos of McAuliffe and the National Rifle Association’s Wayne LaPierre.

“What do VA Gov. Terry McAuliffe and NRA head Wayne LaPierre have in common?” one version reads. “Both Gov McAuliffe and NRA Head Wayne LaPierre support allowing dangerous people to carry hidden loaded weapons in Virginia.”

While clearly a lower-budget affair than last fall’s TV blitz, Everytown’s social media campaign against McAuliffe was a stunner, given how closely he worked with gun-safety groups since his 2013 campaign for governor. He narrowly won the race while bragging about his “F” rating from the NRA.

McAuliffe’s spokesman, Brian Coy, said the governor stands by the gun deal as a bipartisan breakthrough in an area where compromise has been hard to come by.

“While others talk or attack, Governor McAuliffe has taken action’’ to prevent gun violence, Coy said in an email. “This bipartisan compromise is the first meaningful gun safety legislation in Virginia in more than 20 years, and it will save lives by keeping guns out of the hands of domestic abusers and people who can’t pass background checks. This isn’t about national politics, it’s about making Virginia safer and that is what this agreement will do – plain and simple.”

The deal that the McAuliffe administration hammered out with GOP legislative leaders and the NRA caught gun-safety groups off guard. In December, Attorney General Mark R. Herring (D) had severed reciprocity rights of gun owners in 25 states with concealed-weapons standards looser than Virginia’s — a move that had infuriated gun-rights activists even though state law has long dictated that reciprocity be limited to states with standards on par with Virginia’s.

Glenn E. Meyer

Washington Post had pro and con columns on the new actions. One was that anything that had progun attributes, even if it had some anti stuff was terrible. No compromise

The other was that it was a fair trade.