Virginia AG shutting off reciprocity

PolarFBear

As a foregoing statement: the 2nd Amendment should "Trump" all these subordinate state whimzies. But, to comply, my first permit was as a resident of South Carolina. SC has fairly stringent rules before a permit is issued. They do not reciprocate with states that have lesser requirements. I now live in Tennessee, less than a dozen miles south of the TN/VA border. The nearest Cabella's is just across the VA line at exit 5. I will no longer patronize Cabella's nor any other VA businesses. Somewhat amusing; the state line splits the main street in Bristol. I will really have to "toe the line" and stay on the south (freedom's) side of State Street. Oh, as another chuckle. In my former resident city of Charleston, SC a law remains on the books, from the 1700's, that all males MUST carry a firearm to church on Sunday's!

osbornk

You VA folks have less than a year to come up with a candidate to beat these two...................

No. Virginia has off year elections for state offices. We just went through an election where Bloomberg and company spend several million dollars in a failed attempt to take over the state senate. We will vote again year after next. A governor cannot run for a second term in a row.

JERRYS.

I lived in Va. for 8 years.... the VCDL (formerly the NVCDL) was a great organization and very instrumental with changing Va. from may issue to shall issue. however, ever since I left that state it has slowly but surely crept lower and lower politically......

VA needs to look at the bright side:

This is going to give you some great ammo for pushing through the universal reciprocity legislation. If the bill had a chance to begin with this should give you what you need to push it over the edge for sure.

dakota.potts

If I recall, Virginia has unlicensed open carry. Does that apply to non residents? If so, maybe people from the states that were dropped need to open carry inside of Virginia instead. The state must have wanted it when they left little other option

osbornk

If I recall, Virginia has unlicensed open carry. Does that apply to non residents? If so, maybe people from the states that were dropped need to open carry inside of Virginia instead. The state must have wanted it when they left little other option

The governor and AG hates open carry in Virginia but they can't do anything about it because Virginia never passed a law forbidding it and it's not going through the Republican legislature. People can simply pull their gun out in open view when they get to the Virginia line and drive on through.

SamNavy

Dakota, there is UOC in the state, and I notice 2-3 people per month in my daily travels in the greater Hampton Roads area who do... it's not mainstream here in "the city", but I've never seen a single issue. I personally don't OC, but only because the wife (who is 100% onboard with CC) frowns at me when I have in the past.

I'm trying to find a bright side for us here with the AG's move here. My first thought is that it's going to (again, trying to find a word that won't get filtered) upset the Republican legislature enough that the universal reciprocity bill should stand a good chance of passing, even over the objections of the State Police who outright lied to get it canned the last time.

If not, it will get the attention of a lot of Washington representatives who are looking for more reasons to justify national reciprocity.

If nothing else, maybe it will help get a few more states on board with coming up with "universal" licensing so that more states have the same sets of rules for getting a licence. I'm not sure everybody would be ecstatic about the New Mexico qualification standards, but it would go a long way towards streamlining the reciprocity laws.

TomNJVA

In Virginia, keeping a loaded handgun in the glove compartment or center console in your car is considered open carry and is legal without a CCP. The compartments do not need to be locked.

csmsss

Interesting and unexpected that Texas is one of the "lucky" five that passed muster. I wonder how that could be?

ronl

The Republicans who control both houses of the state have vowed to fight this, as it took just about everybody by surprise. Just goes to show how far the anti's will go to limit our freedom to self-defense. Seems McAuliffe and company are using a few tricks from the Obama/Clinton playbook. I surely hope and do indeed expect this to turn around and bite them in their posteriors.

osbornk

VA needs to look at the bright side:

This is going to give you some great ammo for pushing through the universal reciprocity legislation. If the bill had a chance to begin with this should give you what you need to push it over the edge for sure.

I think it will easily pass but will be vetoed by our governor. The House will easily have enough votes to over ride a veto but there is only a 1 vote majority in the state senate. Bloomburg spent well over 2 million dollars in a failed attempt to get that 1 senate seat and they feel the need to pay him back.

2ndsojourn

From jw062:

"This is going to give you some great ammo for pushing through the universal reciprocity legislation."

If you're talking on the federal level, it'll probably never pass, given the political pull of states like NY, NJ, CA, MD and possibly a couple others. I hope I'm wrong, even though I'm all for it, but it'll never happen.

From osbornk:

"I think it will easily pass but will be vetoed by our governor."

If we're talking about on a federal level, governors won't get any veto. But you can believe that the governors against it will be nagging their senators and congressmen to not pass it.

SamNavy

^I mentioned earlier that Virginia "All-State-Reciprocity" or whatever you want to call it at the state level probably would have passed the Virginia House and Virginia Senate last year and made it to the Governors desk if it hadn't been for the interference of the State Police. If memory serves, they argued that they would lose money from the profits they made processing non-resident licenses. However, that turned out to be a total lie, because all the money from processing those licenses went straight into the overtime paychecks of the officers doing the processing, not into some general fund used to keep the people safe. They won't be able to use that tactic again because VCDL did their homework. However, the Governor will certainly veto any such bill that gets to him, and it's unsure if there would be enough votes in the Senate to overturn it.

Mainah

Are there any statistical analyses of gun crime rates related to non-VA CCP reciprocal state (prior to this) legal carriers? I'll just wait awhile...

adamBomb

Are there any statistical analyses of gun crime rates related to non-VA CCP reciprocal state (prior to this) legal carriers? I'll just wait awhile...

I would assume there is not because the number is probably below 5% if not zero most years. Its a political move, that's all. No rational other than it being something they can pass with little opposition from the public and it will look like they are doing 'gun control'.

Slimjim9

Maybe I shouldn't be, but I'm pretty shocked by this news.
HOW IS THIS EFFING LEGAL!!?!!??!?!
(deep cleansing breath, deep cleansing breath)

I've never wanted to open carry but I guess I get to find out how it is the next time I go to VA.