US Army Solicitation for JCP Pistol

CraZkid

If CZ put backstrap inserts in, and added a accesory rail to the 97 they might have something. They could mount the silencer in place of the barrel bushing.

KurtC

A captive takedown pin does not come off the handgun. It merely rotates, like a Beretta or Sig. The standard pull-off style might still work, but some sort of captive nut would have to be used to keep the pin from coming completely out of the frame.

JohnKSa

Administrator
http://fs1.eps.gov/EPSData/ODA/Synopses/27191/H92222-05-R-0017/Attch01JCPspec080905.doc

I kinda think Glock is out of it due to the "commercially available, NDI" caveat combined with the "with and without external safety" requirement.

In fact, the "with and without external safety" requirement is a real bugger. I can only think of a few .45ACP pistols that are currently commercially available both with and without external safeties.

Off the top of my head I come up with:

H&K USP
Ruger P97

Ruger takedown pins are captive--you can YANK them out, but they have a groove and a retaining spring to prevent them from coming all the way out of the firearm under normal use.

As nearly as I can tell a mag safety will disqualify a pistol so the Ruger P345 is out. Sweet irony there...

CZ offerings don't have the no external safety option available.

USP takedown pins are not captive but that's not a shall, it's a should.

Cougar isn't listed on the Beretta website--I was checking to see if they have a rail. Are they out of production? With a rail, I think they would qualify if they're still around.

4thHorseman

All the weapons you guys mentinoed would be a great choice.
There is a kid on the block that has been around for a while and that has already supplied 45's to the Army not to long ago.
Ruger, remember? :)
Wouldn't it be something if Ruger walked away with it?!? :D