Under the heading of: Don't do this

markj

I bet that made yer rear end pucker up...

Havent had one yet, hope to never have one.

Did I tell ya about the time my brother shot my new truck? :) remington mod 11 put a shell into the chamber, let the bolt slam and boom went the gun. Nice hole in the inner fender he was inside the cab, missed the tire. I looked at his shells, most had tiny little dimples in the primers :( he dont use that gun now.....

Years ago I was a bouncer in a bar, guy was getting rowdy, asked him to keep it down, he pulls a hog leg and pulls the trigger, click it went, I took the gun and knocked his butt out, I have that shell, primer didnt go off, it is my lucky piece.Was a .357 mag semi jacketed hollow point.

The Terminator

Thank you for being man enough to share. I have had it happen to me on 2 occasions. I shot out my dining room window will checking the trigger pulls on 2 different j-frames. My fault.

I shot a hole in my truck door, faulty firing pin. It was dirty and stuck in the fired position. I do not try to minimize my own role in either event. If you notice, you have to be breaking more than one safety rule to get hurt, usually.

People say crazy things, about this type of occurrence, and they often mean well. There is always the Mr. Perfect who will endlessly pontificate about how stupid you are, and how smart he is. He can **** up a rope. At one time in my life, it would mildly annoy me to check a firearm, hand it to someone, and then see them check it again. Not anymore. I don't care how many times one is checked, or re-checked, or re-checked again. Pride goeth before a fall, right?

I shared my story, when it happened, not going to re-hash it here. My hope was that it would make at least one person be a little more careful. I am sure that you want the same to happen from your experience. Thank God that nobody is hurt. It happens. It can happen again. Always plan for it to happen, and maybe the chances of anyone being hurt can be minimized.

temmi

You are very lucky... no one was hurt.

You most likely don't want any more knocks... and feel very bad.

You are very lucky... no one was hurt.

Last edited:

LockedBreech

I was shooting out in the desert with my new 10-22 All-Weather (I can't wait to get back out there with it, very fun and my first .22 that I've actually owned), and I made the cardinal mistake - finger on the trigger before ready to shoot. When I was bringing the gun to bear, I exerted enough pressure to fire a .22 about 30 degrees skyward.

I was embarrassed, frightened, and extremely angry at myself. Normally I'm a stickler for gun safety. That definitely hammered it home.

Hoss Fly

I made a mistake once- I think :confused:

Well, OK- theses a hole in my spare bedroom/work room door leading to outside the front of my house & gawd only knows where from there thats there because i was working on a 1911 & decided to "dry" fire it to check trigger pull :eek:

30 yrs ago i shot out a TV because i was "dry" firing a Ruger 22 SA i had bought the night before & i swear i still dont remember loading it :(

Only takes one screw up, one mistake, one heartbeat to screw up your life or end anothers -------------

Jamas

my very first post is my worst experience ever with a firearm. About 5 years ago I went to my brothers house and sitting in the corner was his moss 500 .410. I asked him if I could see it. He told me it was loaded so when I picked it up I steped outside and chucked the shells out then looked in the tube and saw exactly what I was expecting nothing. When I went back inside my wife was yelling at me about holding the shotgun she said I was going to shoot someone. At that point I said no I won't it's NOT LOADED. Then I put a 410 slug about 1in from my right foot in my brothers living room. Now I always run my finger in the breach of anything I handle. Haven't had one since and hope to never have another.

woodguru

Somebody here said they do a weird thing that is really weird IMO. I knew a guy that did the same thing until he actually shot a hole in his foot.

They clear a rifle or shotgun and put the barrel on their foot and snap the trigger.

That breaks the cardinal rule of pointing a rifle at something you don't mean to shoot. In fact it goes way beyond just pointing and actually snaps a dry shot.

This is total Darwin Award material.

Cool_Hand

Last year I was at the range with a Ruger 22/45 and as I was raising the pistol to align my sites I squeezed off a round a little too early. Luckily my pistol was pointed down range but that slight slip up was enough for me to make sure my finger is always off the trigger untill I am absolutely ready to shoot.

sserdlihc

Glad no one was injured. Thanks for sharing your story. You didn't have to share it, but I am glad you did. Everyone can use a reminder of safe gun handling.

TenRing

Wow! That was a close call. I try to be super careful when unloading a gun. I practice drawing at home with my gun and I always count the rounds when I unload the revolver. I place the six rounds standing up on the table in groups of three. That makes it obvious that all six rounds have been unloaded.

We can never be too careful.

I'll bet that the wife and daughter were afraid to look out there to see what happened.