Under the heading of: Don't do this

pythagorean

This subject should come up and we should confess such things to reinforce safety. We can easily get too lax in safety whether from repetition or simple distraction.

I am often changing my routine because of circumstance. For example, has anyone picked up a gun he thought/knew/swore was unloaded only to find out it wasn't? I have.

I bought a 9422 Tribute (one of 9422) and found the magazine tube to be loose if no tension was on it (unloaded) so I thought just put a few rounds in the tube to keep the tube from wanting to slide out. I put it in the cabinet and forgot it was loaded (the magazine) and guess what--one day I took the 9422 out and opened the action (routine) and saw live ammo coming up the T Slot!

I then remembered I had put the ammo in to keep the tube tight--since then I took that magazine tube over my knee and applied just enough "bend" to the empty tube to make it "stick" inside the rifle without dropping out.

I once took a gun to Cabelas to sell. I had removed the magazine but for some reason I did not think to look in the chamber. The guy at the door checked and a round came out of the chamber. I was shocked at myself for believing it was unloaded. Looking back I remember the reason I forgot to check the chamber just after removing the magazine--I had been distracted to do something JUST THEN and when I came back to package up the gun I thought I was safe and clear.

I could recall all kinds of other incidents I've had with myself where I had a "near miss" -- I remember one time I was trying to squeeze through a barbed wire fence with a Winchester 1906 I was shooting; I looked at the muzzle while it was pointed right at my face loaded and cocked! I was in a hurry to get to the other side and thought I was safe because I knew not to point the gun anywhere I did not intend to shoot; but the navigation through the barbed wires while holding onto the rifle found me and that muzzle looking right at each other.

In all cases it is distraction or assumption on my part. All "inexcusable" but nevertheless it happened.

On another forum a year ago a poster confessed an unintended discharge that damaged property but thankfully didn't hurt any live thing. The reaction to his post was either supportive (with others confessing "near misses") or criticism laden. One side understood and confessed and supported the need for safety; the other side criticized and called him an idiot.

Well, I know one thing for sure, I am not an idiot but I would be if I didn't admit having done something idiotic with a gun. It all goes to keep us alert and that is the real point.

Microgunner

Hey, doo doo occurs. As long as no harm's done a lesson is learned and passed along. It made for a exciting afternoon though, didn't it? One more firearms experience to add to your portfolio.

nogo

I was in a gunshop. Customer brought in a pistol case with revolver. The clerk started to check it when the customer complained that he did not need anybody checking a gun behind him bla, bla, bla. Six rounds fell out of the cylinder when the clerk swung out the cylinder and pointed the barrel up.

Another time-same shop-a longtime customer came in, went behind the counter, picked up owner's personal .357 and pulled the trigger. Boom.

oldkim

So now you know....

Safety is Foremost and Paramount to you....

Always clear and view for revolvers. For Semi's you need to do a finger sweep of the chamber (you can do it for revolvers too).

So you visually check, no magazine, chamber is clear and then you put your finger into the chamber.

This technique is especially good for low light but a good practice to incorporate into your everyday practice.

youngunz4life

always count the rounds. there should be 6(for firearm mentioned). one always looks at the cylinder, but I like to count everytime. maybe I just don't like to lose loose rounds or I always keep my weapon full capacity, but it does help. sounds simplistic, but just imagine if the shooter didn't follow basic commonsense(since he might not know the four rules). he might have shot you. it would be nice if everyone understood that rule; many less people would be dead due to ND's. glad you are ok+I give you credit for mentioning it- I would be lying if I said I wasn't interested in the thanksgiving conversation after that one. Lol! Unless of course you guyz swore silence&secrecy..

rodfac

Thanks WVshooter for posting...you did the right thing by bringing it up...if it saves just one of us from doing the same....

Great pic pax...a graphic reminder of what could be a "set-up" for a terrible accident.

If you never point any gun at something your not willing to destroy...

If you keep your finger off the trigger till pointed in the right direction...and willing to destroy....

If you treat all guns as loaded, and check even if the other guy has already shown you...

Following ANY of the above gun safety rules will keep you from a potentially lethal mistake...

Thanks again WV...it took some pride and ego swallowing to post...you did the right thing...

I've had two of my own...and am safer for both of them...and if you think you couldn't do it yourself, if you've never had one...you're living in a dream world...a dangerous dream world.

Best Regards, Rodfac

wvshooter

If you never point any gun at something your not willing to destroy...

If you keep your finger off the trigger till pointed in the right direction...and willing to destroy....

If you treat all guns as loaded, and check even if the other guy has already shown you...

Following ANY of the above gun safety rules will keep you from a potentially lethal mistake...

Thanks again WV...it took some pride and ego swallowing to post...you did the right thing...

I've had two of my own...and am safer for both of them...and if you think you couldn't do it yourself, if you've never had one...you're living in a dream world...a dangerous dream world.

Best Regards, Rodfac

This says it about as well as it can be said.

I gotta admit, until this happened I thought I was immune because I've always been safety conscious. It taught me a lesson. It can happen to anybody.

Thanks to everybody for the feedback.

TeamSinglestack

It taught me a lesson. It can happen to anybody.

I don't agree.

Accidental discharges beyond the control of the user, such as parts breakage, or defective equipment, are unavoidable.

Discharging a firearm due to negligence on the part of the user IS 100% avoidable, and anyone who thinks otherwise is selling themselves short. It just takes discipline.

If you were to challenge a colleague to "hide" an unfired round in a revolver or semi-auto, do you think you would ever NOT be able to find it? I don't. I think you could find it EVERY time. Why? Because you would be EXPECTING to find something, will take the time to check it PROPERLY, and you KNOW it can only be in a few places.

Mindset.

Discipline.

That's all it takes.

Negligent discharges are 100% avoidable.

dec41971

I honestly doubt there are many people who have never had atleast one AD. When I was new to fire arms, I read, re-read and double and tripple checked everything. I went 2 weeks with my berreta before I could muster the courage to load it. Loaded, it, unloaded it etc. I would always fire it till it was empty at the range because having to unload it scared the bejesus out of me. I wouldn't load or unload it with real ammo at home period. :D This routine went on for a good month till I was beyond any doubt comfortable handling it. Just as well! One day I loaded it, then unloaded it and put ammo back into the box threw in range bag went on down to the local range to blast a few...

I get there, buy targets, some more ammo, put on saftety gear head to a lane. I put the bag on the table to get my weapon and ammo out ready to shoot. I lift my empty magazine-less berretta and as soon as I clearly the bag and was moving my hand to the side to set it down...BANG!:eek: I must have turned white like a ghost. Shaking badly and my heart racing, I look at all my neighbors to make sure no one was hurt. The gun was pointed downrange, but I'd be lying if I said I have a real clue where I was pointing ot where the round went. No one noticed, but that didn't help me feel any better. Till this day, If I feel rushed or distracted, I will cancel or discontinue a range trip. Better safe than sorry, and there is no magin for error handling firearms. I wont even load and pack a CCW piece if I am in a hurry. Id rather go without it. It might seem excessive, but thats what I decided long time ago, and am sticking with it.

8shot357

I hand the gun to him with the cylinder still open. He starts handling the gun, looking across the sight picture etc, etc. I tell him to try the trigger. He aims across the road into a broad hillside and pulls the trigger. BOOM!

Before I hand a revolver or any gun to somebody, I alway make them see that it's empty after I check it. I'm surprised that one got by you, lesson learned.

plinky

I was recently at a smallbore bowling pin shoot and had just finished completing the rifle part of the competition. The rifle used was a Ruger 10/22.

So I knocked the pins down and ejected the magazine and layed the rifle down pointed down range.

What I failed to do and the acting range officer failed to do was to check to make sure the rifle was clear which it was not.

Luckily I was the next one to use it and upon inserting the new mag and pulling the bolt back one cartridge came flying out.

It was then I realized the mistake and also realized I was very happy I was the next user of the firearm.

To the op, many thanks for the reminder and glad to hear no one was injured during your lesson learned.

Jim

zippy13

My latest "don't do this" wasn't as nearly exciting; but, still a lesson learned:
I was zeroing a new red-dot on a .22 pistol. I hunkered the gun deep into the sand bags for a rock solid rest, but the first shot was way off -- the bullet had gone in and out of the top sand bag!

Dr. Strangelove

When I was in high school, my brother had a Ruger Super Single Six that he liked to dry-fire in his bedroom. One afternoon, he picked it up, aimed at the wall, and shot a hole right through the side of the house. Unknown to him, our father had been target practicing in the backyard with the pistol, and failed to clear the chamber when finished. My brother failed to check the chamber before dry-firing, and a hole in the wall was the result.

tlm225

I had a ND 36 years ago, a difference of 3 feet or 2 seconds would have resulted in me killing my best friend. One lapse of just a few seconds is all it took. I have been anal about counting rounds, checking cylinder/chamber and watching my muzzle ever since.....

woodguru

That's about the most graphic lesson there is :eek:

Fortunately you weren't in the smaller percent that has the lesson turn into a tragedy. Some people's lessons come at great cost.

Twenty-five plus years ago I had a blood chilling little lesson about loaded firearms. Normally I kept loaded guns all over the house in hidey holes here and there. My daughter was visiting my grandparents with me and a Colt Diamondback was on the nighstand in my room. I remember thinking it's best left unloaded with a kid around so I dumped the bullets and made sure the cylinder was clear and tossed it on the bed. I was finishing dressing and my four or five year old daughter knocked on the door and I told her to come in. She picked up the gun, which she had never done before as we had always told her they were a hands off deal. I turned toward her as she pointed the gun at me and said, "bang daddy you're dead" as she snapped the trigger with both little hands.

It was aimed right at my upper stomach area, and it was empty, but my blood ran cold right there. It was the first time I had ever unloaded a gun, all I can say is something was looking over my shoulder and saved me with that little act of unloading the gun at that time. It forever changed the care and consideration I use as pertains to loaded firearms. My wife and I live alone so guns are loaded, but when anyone comes to visit I unload and/or lock everything up, religiously I might add.

This incident served as the best "lesson" a person could ever have, so was yours.

SIGSHR

My SOP for clearing a revolver is to hold it in my left hand with the barrel pointing straight up, use the ejector rod to eject any cartridges into my right
hand then visually check that the cylinder is empty. With a single action I use the ejector rod on each chamber then inspect. with a semiautomatic I remove the magazine, retract the slide then inspect. Safety is like fitness, you never actually master it, rather you practice it constantly.

spacecoast

I had a similar, but less exciting incident at the range Sunday. I threw my J-frame into the bag (in a holster) and forgot to unload it first. The RO was kind enough to look the other way when I took it out of the bag and realized my error, which was real nice of him since I had driven 20 miles and paid $30 in fees to be there. He could have legitimately asked me to leave. Stupid me :eek: