Unarmed Cops in Britain...... no respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRussell

What a difference a quarter century has apparently made! For one thing, I hear that London is now referred to as "Londonstan".

Therein lies a good portion of the problem, most likely. The original British (or at least the Brits from 100 to 200 years ago) probably had a great deal of respect for unarmed police officers. Respect and civility were their tradition...their culture. A tradition that took centuries to develop.

Thinking you can make people "British" simply by transplanting them to London is silly. People are what they are.

dean1818

I think the brits as a whole are VERY friendly........

(just maybe not to their coppers)

FRANCE is a different story......evrything you have heard about their rudeness IS TRUE

Steel Talon

You know Great Britian is not the place to be When the Royal Marines return home from battle in the stan. In welcome back parade formation and the streets are lined with radacalized followers of Islam to greet them..

Last edited:

BlueTrain

The London police were organized in 1829, making them rather less than 200 years old. Before then, there were no police to respect. The police were organized in Ireland earlier and that is understandable.

RampantAndroid

The best is my friends from the UK come to the US, become citizens and proclaim we should ban guns. I mean, the founding fathers never wanted the common folk to own them. If some weren't coworkers, I'd tell them to shove off back to the UK. Don't like it? Fine. But why did you become a citizen then? Just to leech off of us? It's an ammendment. Another one needs to be passed and ratified for guns to go away. You cannot just come and expect the country to suddenly change because you wished it to be so. A biased media portraying guns as evil doesn't help things.

DRBoyle

Therein lies a good portion of the problem, most likely. The original British (or at least the Brits from 100 to 200 years ago) probably had a great deal of respect for unarmed police officers. Respect and civility were their tradition...their culture. A tradition that took centuries to develop.

Thinking you can make people "British" simply by transplanting them to London is silly. People are what they are.

Here's the first page that came up when search the Kray brothers.
Code:
http://www.historybytheyard.co.uk/kray_brothers.htm

In a very general sense, you are right people are what they are. What they were or become may or not be a factor. Outside of that you might want to explain how you've come to that probability.

9-ball

There will always be people who don't respect police regardless if they have a firearm or not. When I'm in the UK, I always respect the police for being very polite and helpful, a thing I miss with our cops here. But yes, times have changed in the UK and I think it's a bad idea to keep their cops unarmed in present times.

Sweet Shooter

Re: The "Londonstan" comment.

Re: The "Londonstan" comment. If people move about the globe, which as a free man, I believe they are entitled to do, (as long as they are not breaking laws) then they need to adopt the culture they move into not try to change it to suit them. Christmas is Christmas and should be called Christmas (I believe we were trying to change that for the comfort of our foreign imports). Likewise a Brit who tries to ban guns after coming to the U.S. is churlish and selfish. Move into the country, move into the culture. What you do in you house is your business, what I do in mine is mine etc... no? Now If I move to the U.S. as a legal alien with the right to work, and pay taxes like the rest of you, should I get to vote on whether we have the right to keep arms? Does it matter if I am naturalized and become a citizen? Or does becoming a citizen really mean anything anymore? What does it mean to people who were born here when transplants like myself (British) become naturalized?—which I have not done yet.

Going through the questions on the USCIS immigration test outlines quite clearly that the constitution/law of the land has to be adopted in it's entirety.

I don't get to vote but I do get to pay taxes. And of course my vote would go in the direction that best suits my lifestyle though it would pain me to do that. I want my guns but don't believe in partisan politics... what do I do?

The NRA say they are non partisan... so I cast my vote by supporting them—financially.

Incidentally, Washington was against partisan politics, some might not know that.

-SS-

9-ball

Christmas is Christmas and should be called Christmas

"Christmas" was in fact an old Germanic/Norse celebration called "Jul fest", which celebrated the rebirth of the sun. Sometimes cultures need to adopt. I'm not a proponent of islamisation in any way, but a lot of people tend to forget how the "christian culture" was imposed on pagan tribes, so forcing foreigners to adopt is a little bit hypocritical.

Sweet Shooter

9-ball. You are right. When I say "adopt the culture" what I really mean is adopt the idea of acceptance as most western cultures have to one degree or another. Britain today, as previously stated in this thread by someone else, is not all that interested in one religion or another. To some it's vital, to others (the majority) it's not—and that's okay. But what bugs my father for instance is that he is no longer allowed [sic] to say "Happy Christmas" to his neighbor.

I promise you I'm not a hypocrite.
-SS-

Gehrhard

"Police! Stop, mate, or I'll... yell 'stop' again."

"Police! Stop, mates, or... I'll have even more black and blues."

BlueTrain

I don't see any need to adopt the culture that's already there. My family didn't adopt any Indian ways when they got here in the 1650s.

Sweet Shooter

And again when I say adopt (probably a bad turn of phrase) I mean accept that in Britain it's Christmas to some and not to be offended by it. You say potato, I say potato, etc.

-SS-

DG45

Seems to me that there were all kinds of gun control measures in GB, but that you could own a shotgun. This was quite a few years back. Don't know about now.

Whats the story these days on owning black powder weapons in England? You can order them out of catalogs here in the US and they'll mail them to your door - well, you can't do that in some states, but in most you can.

Are these black powder guns easier to obtain in England than more modern weapons? For example, can an English citizen (living in in England) own a Italian replica of a .44 cal. Remington 1858 New Army model revolver?

9-ball

Well, you made your post clearer Sweet Shooter,

But there are no regulations whether you are allowed to say "Happy Christmas" to your neighbour or not. Of course if you're neighbour is Jewish for example, he might feel offended, or if he's Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, ... he might be annoyed. Heck, I'd be annoyed if a Muslim neighbour came to say "Happy Id-al-fitr", my Jewish neighbour "Happy Jom Kippur", etc.

Well you get the point. I'm okay with people having religions and their festivities, as long as they don't try to shove it in someone's throat :)

Back OT:
"Police! Stop, mate, or I'll... yell 'stop' again."

"Police! Stop, mates, or... I'll have even more black and blues."

It's illegal in most European countries for the police to shoot someone when they try to run away if the person doesn't pose a threat to society. Meaning they could shoot the kind of people that an unarmed bobby wouldn't be send after in the first place. I haven't watched the documentary the OP was referring to, but in my own experience, people tend to be very careful with the police in my country. Even if you know that he won't use his weapon too soon, you still know you're going to get f'ed in court if you try something.

Status
Not open for further replies.