Types and makes of holsters you prefer

Sanch

Hi chrisintexas,

My advice is to buy a holster that's perfect for you. What's perfect for a hand gunner recommending a holster might be wrong for you.

obiwan1

I have various holsters for various applications.
Ken Null pancake
Don Hume 721OT and First Agent
Thad Rybka pocket holster
Blackhawk Avenger style
Alessi IWB and pancake style
Thunderwear
Glock Sport Holster
DeSantis Cozy Partner
Phalanx Defense Systems Mini IWB
Versa Max belt slide

Any of the above will be used depending on what gun I'm carrying an how "low profile" I need to be and how tight my slacks fit me. Lately it's the Phalanx or the Versa Max.

No on Serpa
No on Paddles.

RETG

Leather now that I'm retired in ID most of the time; if taking a hike on a hot day, might pull out my Fobus Kydex. Kydex when I was working; especially when I was in certain foreign countries with extreme humidity; however, back to leather when in the states.

dakota.potts

All I carry is kydex. I dropped all of my hybrid holsters and never had anything leather. Kydex is rigid, consistent, protective. It won't wear over time and won't fold over into the trigger guard when trying to re-holster IWB. Not a problem if you take care of your holster and replace it when it comes time (it is a wear part if you use it long and hard enough).

Right now I do all my carry with a PHLster Spotlight matched to my Glock 19 and Streamlight TLR-7. It actually holds to the light rather than the gun so the combo is married so to speak. I'm alright with that. Also has space for a compensator and a red dot. Have a compensator now, might want a red dot one day.

I don't have a drawer full of holsters like some people but I've tried a couple I really like. PHLster, Bedder, BladeTech come to mind. Of course it's much easier to find molded holsters for any situation now that I'm carrying a Glock instead of my old CZ P01- great gun but about as non-standard as it gets.

As for SERPA, I'm going to advise you to stay away. Some people will argue with me all day about that, I'm not really interested. If they've done their research and they want to carry in a SERPA it's none of my business. But too many reputable instructors have found significant issues with their design, from encouraging negligent discharge to locking the gun permanently to the holster with the slightest debris, I will just recommend you avoid them until/unless you're very familiar with them and decide you want to carry one anyway.

1911_Hardball

I prefer leather, although I do have a Blade-Tech for my Shield.
As to style I like the Askins Avenger design as it pulls the butt in a bit tighter than a pancake, but they're hard to find so most of mine are pancake.
I have recently tried 1791 brand and I'm quite happy with the quality for the price.

pete2

I use plastic for IDPA, works great but you don't want to use a Kydex with a nice blued 586 revolver. Wears the bluing off like mad. Don't ask how I know.............

hounddog409

Whitehat Holsters IWB. Others make same style, like the supertuck.

I think paddle holsters are garbage. Too much motion. Don't stay in place. My whitehat stays put. Sit down, stand up, in and out of the vehicle. Never have to touch it. I was always readjusting or fussing with paddle holsters.

Serpa? For duty carry maybe. I have no need.

KyJim

For pocket carry, I like the DeSantis Nemesis. I've carried a Ruger LCP, Sig P238, Kahr CM9, and a SW J-frame in various sizes of this holster. They conceal the guns well and allow a quick and easy draw because the outside of the holster seems to grip the pocket, so only the gun is drawn, not the whole holster.

IWB, the Sparks SS-II is great. OWB, I have a variety of styles from custom to mass market holsters (like Galco). I probably have more pancake OWB holsters than any other style.

shurshot

I have bought several IWB leather holsters off the Bay, from "J&J"... SUPERB leather! Great price, good fit and they ship fast. Made here in the USA too.

Jimbo-Indy

I prefer leather. Have one kydex paddle for 1911 that works ok but doesn't conceal well. Before retiring, I wore mostly High Noon shoulder rigs under a vest or an MTR belt slide. I tend to carry larger/heavier pistols. Consider my Kahr CT40 a compact. For IWB, recommend the MTR A1. Makes you forget the CZ 97B or Ruger P90 is on your waist. They also make a convertable IWB/OWB that works well too.

1MoreFord

I have IWB and OWB holsters. I have leather and kydex holsters. It all depends on the gun and the purpose. Choose carefully and buy wisely.

tex45acp

I really like my Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 IWB for my Wilson Combat Professional
WPSAMagwell005.jpg

I love My Wilson Combat IWB Paddle for my Browning HiPower
WilsonHolster.jpg

and my Tucker for OWB Carry
BHPTUCKER1.jpg

toxophilus

For concealed carry, I've narrowed it down (finally) to my Milt Sparks; I like that it's easy to re-holster since the mouth is reinforced with a metal band so it won't collapse on me.

Milt-Sparks-Executives-Companion-Beveled.jpg

TunnelRat

I’ve carried In leather holsters, hybrid holsters (with either a leather or synthetic backing), and entirely kydex holsters. These days I use kydex holsters. They all have pluses and minuses. For kydex I like JM Custom Kydex. I think the quality of the final product for the price is very good and he has an attention to smaller details that I appreciate.

I terms of Serpa holsters, as others have mentioned the prevailing wisdom seems to be against them due to negligent discharges encountered in their use. I have a Serpa, I’ve used it some, and I don’t really care for it. Frankly for an OWB “duty” type holster that offers some kind of active retention I think the Safariland ALS is just superior. I think the mechanism is smoother, less prone to fouling, and the product has a nicer finish. However the ALS is generally more expensive. I have a Blackhawk Omnivore as well and it’s not bad, quite versatile really and a better active retention system than a Serpa, imo. I have heard positive comments on the Blackhawk T series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mk70ss

Leather OWB for 99% of the time. Galco, Bullard Leather, and Azula Leather are my go brands. I have a few kydex, but prefer leather. I also use a Don Hume leather pocket holster for my LCP and Beretta 950