Trying to understand the point of over accessorizing your CCW.

TunnelRat

To reiterate something I think I said above, a light doesn’t have to be attached to a gun. In fact of the things I carry daily a small handheld light is by far the most used, and I hope it stays that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan0354

To reiterate something I think I said above, a light doesn’t have to be attached to a gun. In fact of the things I carry daily a small handheld light is by far the most used, and I hope it stays that way.

That I agree totally, I am thinking about a tiny flash light to put in my pocket. More so, I always have a pepper spray in my right pocket. I am even thinking about a tiny pocket knife also, not for fighting, but to cut the seat belt in case.

I don't carry CCW, but I would keep what's on the gun as few, as light and as small as possible. Plenty of pockets for the rest of the stuffs.

They have pants with a lot of pockets, people should check those out. You can carry a lot of stuffs in the pants.

Alan0354

Talk about self defense, I always concern about very close quarter combat where one is struggling with the other grappling and all. With a semi auto, if you stick the front of the gun into the body of the other guy, it will not fire because you push the slide and barrel back and unlock the Lock Breech of the gun. Even for blow back, you push the slide back, you open the firing chamber. I think most gun prevent the firing pin to fire if the slide is slightly pushed back.

If I am right, then the revolver is definitely better. You can fire at close contact. Even if the guy grab your gun and hold the cylinder, you can keep squeezing the trigger to turn the cylinder, cock and fire if your finger is stronger enough to pull the trigger.

TunnelRat

That I agree totally, I am thinking about a tiny flash light to put in my pocket. More so, I always have a pepper spray in my right pocket. I am even thinking about a tiny pocket knife also, not for fighting, but to cut the seat belt in case.

I don't carry CCW, but I would keep what's on the gun as few, as light and as small as possible. Plenty of pockets for the rest of the stuffs.

They have pants with a lot of pockets, people should check those out. You can carry a lot of stuffs in the pants.

There’s a keychain attachment called a Resqme. It has a seatbelt cutter and a glass breaker.

TunnelRat

Talk about self defense, I always concern about very close quarter combat where one is struggling with the other grappling and all. With a semi auto, if you stick the front of the gun into the body of the other guy, it will not fire because you push the slide and barrel back and unlock the Lock Breech of the gun. Even for blow back, you push the slide back, you open the firing chamber. I think most gun prevent the firing pin to fire if the slide is slightly pushed back.

If I am right, then the revolver is definitely better. You can fire at close contact. Even if the guy grab your gun and hold the cylinder, you can keep squeezing the trigger to turn the cylinder, cock and fire if your finger is stronger enough to pull the trigger.

That’s why there are retention positions for firing pistols in close quarters. They are arguably not as good as a revolver, but jamming a pistol into an assailant isn’t a good idea for reasons mentioned. You can also fire a pistol with a hand over the slide. The pistol won’t cycle but a round will still fire. If someone is on top of you you may be better off trying to go hands on and/or making distance than drawing a firearm.

seanc

Alan0354

I'll get my carry advice from people that actually carry.

Sigkid79

While true for most semi-auto’s, it is not the case for all. For example, one of my EDC’s is a Springfield Armory XDs Mod 2 9mm. This particular firearm has a feature that will allow you to pull the trigger and fire even with the barrel pressed up against an object/body.

seanc

Rob228
What I'm trying to get at here is that what someone carries fits THEIR needs, not yours. For every anecdote given in this thread about a certain type of people seen at the range I can easily counter with several about boomers and their 1911s or J-frames that load and make ready behind the firing line, point their muzzles parallel to the firing line when attempting to clear a malfunction or just trying to show off their toys to their friends.... behind the firing line. Trying to project your image of CCW onto others does not work. Yes, there are some legitimately stupid carry choices out there, but blanket statements about all types of carry that aren't yours really are not productive. Open up your minds, maybe you'll learn something.

^This.

Some people let their ego get ahead of them and decide that anyone who would do anything other than their way is a moron. I can accept that other people have other needs. I don't need to name call anyone for a different considered choice. The OP made his evaluations based on his needs, what he owns and his training. He should respect that other people might have done the same and have come to different conclusions.

raimius

Alan, you may want to go to a defensive firearms course. You seem to be presenting a lot of valid points, but are kind of all over the place on application. Sometimes professional training really helps solidify priorities and put theory in it's proper place for application.
(It's been too long since I've been to a class, too!)

Alan0354

Alan, you may want to go to a defensive firearms course. You seem to be presenting a lot of valid points, but are kind of all over the place on application. Sometimes professional training really helps solidify priorities and put theory in it's proper place for application.
(It's been too long since I've been to a class, too!)
I never been to those class, but I watched some videos before. I have not been carrying for like 20 years already, so it's not important at this point. But I did CCW for like 10 years, from big gun slowly moving to smaller and smaller ones. So I did have a lot of experience of this topic. My comments are from personal experience.

Alan0354

Rob228

^This.

Some people let their ego get ahead of them and decide that anyone who would do anything other than their way is a moron. I can accept that other people have other needs. I don't need to name call anyone for a different considered choice. The OP made his evaluations based on his needs, what he owns and his training. He should respect that other people might have done the same and have come to different conclusions.
If you read the OP's first thread, he was asking for comments. So we give our personal experience and what I observed. It's obvious you don't like my and some other's posts, but it's our opinions, which is just as valid as yours. It's better if you give your opinion instead of complaining about those that you don't agree.

Well, I never understood the desire to mount a deep fat fryer on my Picatinny rail, but I will admit that it did come in VERY handy when, in the middle of defending myself against carjackers, I got really, really snacky.

That said, generally the only accessory items I put on my defensive handguns -- revolvers or autos -- is grips.

TunnelRat

If you read the OP's first thread, he was asking for comments. So we give our personal experience and what I observed. It's obvious you don't like my and some other's posts, but it's our opinions, which is just as valid as yours. It's better if you give your opinion instead of complaining about those that you don't agree.

You’re calling someone out that is asking for tolerance by reminding him/her that your opinion is just as valid as theirs. Yet in your comments you pretty clearly disparage others that don’t carry the same as yourself. It reads like you want people to respect the opinions of others, but only as long as its an opinion you share.

44 AMP

Staff
Be careful not to confuse the firm belief that everyone has a right to their own opinion with the idea that all opinions must be equally valid.

they aren't.

when it comes to one's personal property, you can put all the bling or silly gadgets or actual improvements into it that you see fit.

If I happen to think its stupid, if asked, I'll say so. Doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't do what you think it the right thing to do, all it means is that I don't agree with you.

TunnelRat

Be careful not to confuse the firm belief that everyone has a right to their own opinion with the idea that all opinions must be equally valid.

they aren't.

when it comes to one's personal property, you can put all the bling or silly gadgets or actual improvements into it that you see fit.

If I happen to think its stupid, if asked, I'll say so. Doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't do what you think it the right thing to do, all it means is that I don't agree with you.

A person can certainly call others idiots and disparage them. That’s their call. When that same person then says we must respect their choice to disparage others is when I can’t help but think it’s either patently oblivious irony or a prime example of being a hypocrite. Expressing that you disagree with someone’s disagreement is just as much a part of that discussion as the initial disagreement. I also believe that when we disagree we can explain why rather than immediately result to name calling. As for determining which opinions are or aren’t valid, that’s an entire discussion by itself.

Alan0354

A person can certainly call others idiots and disparage them. That’s their call. When that same person then says we must respect their choice to disparage others is when I can’t help but think it’s either patently oblivious irony or a prime example of being a hypocrite. Expressing that you disagree with someone’s disagreement is just as much a part of that discussion as the initial disagreement. I also believe that when we disagree we can explain why rather than immediately result to name calling. As for determining which opinions are or aren’t valid, that’s an entire discussion by itself.
I did NOT call people idiots, I voice my opinion. OP ask for opinion, I gave my opinion from my own experience. I never tell people not to do whatever, it's up to them.
I don't see you a moderator, please don't get personal. I try not to respond to you already.

TunnelRat

I was speaking generalities when I was responding to 44amp. You’ll notice that response was to him.

You’re right you didn’t use the term idiot. You used “camouflages” and said those people were solely interested in appearing “macho” or to “brag” and would be better off practicing as they likely didn’t have skill. Other people here used “armchair commando”. There are ways to disparage a person without just using the term idiot.

I don’t have to be a moderator to explain why I disagree with you. You’ve quoted me directly, which is why I responded. You’ll notice I didn’t respond to any of your comments on this thread before you started quoting me.

Alan0354

I was speaking generalities when I was responding to 44amp. You’ll notice that response was to him.

You’re right you didn’t use the term idiot. You used “camouflages” and said those people were solely interested in appearing “macho” or to “brag” and would be better off practicing as they likely didn’t have skill. Other people here used “armchair commando”. There are ways to disparage a person without just using the term idiot.

I don’t have to be a moderator to explain why I disagree with you. You’ve quoted me directly, which is why I responded. You’ll notice I didn’t respond to any of your comments on this thread before you started quoting me.

You quote me first in post #54. You attack me. I tried not to respond, you mentioned again. So here we are. You want to go at it until they lock the post?

At least I don't direct to anyone particular person. You direct this to me. So let's have it.

TunnelRat

Sir, you quoted me back in post #42. Whether you realize it or not, you and I have had multiple interactions in this thread before this last one, including where you explicitly said we were in agreement on one issue. As I pointed out the last mention wasn’t even directed at you, but in response to another member. I have nothing further to say. If you want to PM me you are free to do so.