Trigger-Locked Guns at Cabelas

IdaD

My beef with the guns at Cabelas is that they're way too expensive. The last handgun I bought would have been about $530 out the door and I paid $360 for it inclusive of all shipping and transfer fees. Both identical NIB guns.

Cheapshooter

My beef with the guns at Cabelas is that they're way too expensive. The last handgun I bought would have been about $530 out the door and I paid $360 for it inclusive of all shipping and transfer fees. Both identical NIB guns.
That's why almost all my gun, and some other purchases from Cabela's, BPS, and pre Marcus Lemonis Gander Mountain have been "enhanced" by sale prices, and supplemented by credit card rewards points and gift cards. Things like a Henry Golden Boy 22 WRM for about $150 out of pocket. A Glock 20SF with again less than $200 out of pocket. Or my very best deal. A Remington 870 Express Synthetic 7 shot, 18" barreled shotgun for $ 0.00!
The key, pay off the credit card balance every month!

Cirdan

Went into the local Cabela's (Reno NV) about a month ago. Looks like it's turning in to a women's clothing store. . .

USNRet93

Hey, based on your “Republic if Boulder (CO)” location, by any chance does this “...local little gun store” happen to be in Arvada, CO?

No sir...I 'think' 5280(On Sheridan, Lakewood(?)) has a sign that says not to dry fire the new guns..the one I'm referring to..pretty sure the owner's son mentioned to another gent that he wasn't thrilled the customer started dry firing the thing w/o asking.

FireForged

The attendant advised me that the trigger locks stay on all the guns until they are sold.

I understand their abundance of caution but I am simply NOT going to purchase a firearm ( new or not), if I cannot examine its function. I wish them good luck I am sure there are plenty of people who feel similarly.

roc1

A friend of mine after retirement works part time at our local store told me when we were in there last time his friend had customer try to load one to commit sucide but his friend grabbed it out of his hands. Now all guns are locked said it happened at one other store as well now company policy .
Roc1

Brutus

Cabelas has gone down the tubes, was my favorite store for clothing, boots, fishing equipment and reloading supplies but since Bass Pro bought them, might as well shop at Dick's or Sport Authority. Won't be long before the doors close.:(

Cheapshooter

Cabelas has gone down the tubes, was my favorite store for clothing, boots, fishing equipment and reloading supplies but since Bass Pro bought them, might as well shop at Dick's or Sport Authority. Won't be long before the doors close.
I think you might have Cabela's mistaken with the new Gander (Mountain) Outdoors. Granted some product selection, and maybe prices have changed for the worse at Cabela's. They are in no way in the same anti 2a league with Dick's, Sports Athority, or Gander Outdoors.
The big box store policy of trigger locks until you leave their store has never bothered me all that much. I don't buy most guns based on the trigger. If I like a particular gun, and have the money at the time, I buy it. I just adapt to what it is when I shoot it.

CLYA

Bought a new Sig semi-auto at Cabela's yesterday. When I picked out the one I was seriously going to buy...………..it wasn't trigger locked. But the box was for sure, securely taped up, with their own seals. For the items I usually purchase, which is guns, archery, and reloading supplies, not much has changed since the Bass Pro buyout. I still like them just as well as Scheels and Sportsman's Warehouse. Those are the three big box outfits that I still give a lot of business.

Fishbed77

This is a classic case of punishing everyone for the actions of a few.

How are you being punished by Cabela's? You are free to take your business elsewhere. Of course this is a stupid policy, but I don't see how anyone is being punished, other than Cabela's shareholders for any revenue lost as a result of the policy.

Personally, I've never bought a gun there - their prices on both used and new firearms are so ludicrous as to be laughable.

Also, back to the OP - it is very easy to tell if a Browning Hi-Power has had its magazine disconnect removed - just reach your index finger up the magazine well and feel for it.

FITASC

Went into the local Cabela's (Reno NV) about a month ago. Looks like it's turning in to a women's clothing store. . .

The profit margin (especially at JM's BASS' prices) is HUGE; the markup on guns, ammo, reloading stuff nowhere close.

Near where I live now, I have a BASS and an Academy. Care to guess where I go first if not using the Net. (You get an "A" if you guess right)......;)