Trigger-Locked Guns at Cabelas

mete

You've
done the smart thing .If you can't get service in one store find another that will !!
Demand service and proper business procedures. I had a problem recently where a couple of phone messages were not returned. I went to another source got immediate and proper service and will never try the other company again ! :p

My local Cabelas recently adopted this policy and all sales are final. No returns allowed. You buy as is. This new policy is unacceptable.

As a matter of principle, I will not buy another firearm at Cabelas, until they revise this absurd policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spats McGee

Administrator
To be clear, the trigger lock issue would be much more problematic for me buying a used gun than it would a new one. As I've mentioned, I'm not all that fussy about a trigger, but if you coupled the "never, ever remove the trigger locks" with an absolute "no returns" policy, . . . Well, I'd probably still buy if the price was right, but the right price would have to be even more right.

LineStretcher

The sales associates at Cabelas have been coached on the suicide story, the real story is that they changed their policies after the Las Vegas shootings. Their Nevada store sold the nut case many of the rifles that were used. They are doing what they are doing to try to shake that off. I believe there are still several ambulance chaser civil suits pending. What's sad is many of those ambulance chasing lawyers are taking advantage of the victims which in my opinion should be a crime too.

USNRet93

Hopefully you know something about 'that' firearm before going in there and not relying on a dry fire to help you make a buying decision. BUT the store is weighing legal issues vs sales stats. It's cheaper for them to lose some sales VS being sued by somebody for whatever reason..IMHO..It wouldn't keep me from buying there.

My local little gun store doesn't like people dry firing their new handguns either..I think it's kinda rude, particularly when you do so w/o asking.

Bottom Gun

My local little gun store doesn't like people dry firing their new handguns either..I think it's kinda rude, particularly when you do so w/o asking.

It's basic firearms etiquette to ask if you can dry fire if it isn't a rimfire. I've never had anyone say "no".

FrankenMauser

It's basic firearms etiquette to ask if you can dry fire if it isn't a rimfire. I've never had anyone say "no".
Aye.
"Do you mind if I dry-fire this?"
The answer is almost universally, "Go ahead."

I did get turned down once when I asked a shop if they had snap caps to dry-fire a S&W I-frame. I already knew that that shop had a policy of 'no dry-fire without snap caps' (and they did keep a nice assortment on hand).
They, like me, didn't think it was wise to truly dry-fire the I-frame, in particular; but had no .32 S&W or .32 S&W Long snap caps available.

I've also had private parties say no. But the gun shop answer is nearly always a "yes" in some form.

Nathan

Well, I did buy one under the new policy, but it will likely be my last. The gun was nib, unavailable at a decent price elsewhere and the trigger wasn’t the most important feature. They did say I could return it if it didn’t work...I think.

I likely won’t buy in the future. I shop their gun room mostly. I cannot see buying a used rifle, revolver or auto at fair prices without a full function check. If I can function check at home for 3 days or so, and return, I might consider that good enough

The rule is bogus as are the idiots who do these things....shoot themselves in the store.

Bottom Gun

The rule is bogus as are the idiots who do these things....shoot themselves in the store.

I agree. Why can't those guys take the gun home and shoot themselves? I guess some people will do anything to save a few dollars. . . . . . . . :rolleyes:

fightthenoise01

I want to test that the safety functions and the trigger resets with the cycling of the bolt/action. That and a peer down the bore is about my entire tire kicking routine. Hard to do with a trigger lock but I can always bring it back so I don’t get too wound up over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarkCO

I stopped shopping at Cabela's at all when BP bought them, closed my Cabela's Club Visa as well. I bought two guns there and literally most of my boots and hunting clothes as well as my everyday clothes. Scheels is where I have switched to as they have better prices and a corporate philosophy I prefer to BPs.

Leaf

As obnoxious as it is, the "trigger locked guns" rule makes more sense than the no dry firing rules but not by much. I'm not trying to sound harsh or otherwise uncaring nor am I trying to encourage such activity but all one need do if the goal is suicide is to remove the lock (if present) and drop a round in the chamber or cylinder and start cranking away while pointing the barrel at one's head. Step back out of arm's reach of the sales person and/or wear ear plugs if you don't care to hear the salesman protesting or flailing his/her arms at you, I suppose. There are just so many ways a suicidal individual can grab something off a shelf at a hardware, sporting goods, or other type store and kill themselves that it borders on the silly thinking anyone can really stop these things from happening. Paranoia has become so pervasive in the US that things are getting ridiculous. If folks are so worried about these kinds of things, maybe they should ware body armor and helmets 24/7. If nothing else, it will be a good way for us to delineate between the normal and not-so-normal folks when we’re out in public too!

disseminator

I was not aware of this new policy but I swore off buying guns from Cabelas/BPS after realizing that they are asking about the same prices for the used guns in the "Library" as they are for the new ones 20 feet away in the cases.

Crazy.

And now you can't even try 'em first? No way.

And the final nail for me: they removed the primers and powder from the sales floor and stock is about zero now.

I'll be closing my Cabelas Credit Card as well soon.

Prof Young

A mild up side to a FOID card . . . .

Here in IL we can't even handle a gun in a store without flashing a Firearms Owner ID card. So to either rent a gun at a range or use a store gun to commit suicide the person would have to apply for, qualify and receive a FOID card. An unlikely scenario at the very least. Yeah, I know, lotta people out there think a FOID requirement is an "infringement" but this is a touch of an up side.

Life is good.

Prof Young

iblearning

I stopped buying firearms at Cabelas a couple years ago, hated the attitudes of the sales counter guys. The trigger locks would be a deal breaker for me, trigger reach is also an issue.

MoArk Willy

I've only bought one firearm at Bass Pro. Price was the factor. I've never bought at Cabela's since they are a little too far for me to travel. LGS and Academy have been my preferred sources. Academy has very good pricing and in my experience knowledgeable staff in the gun department.. No locks and a genuine interest in helping me find what I want. A conversation about easy to rack slides started a short tour led by the salesman on which guns would suit that requirement. Local gun shops are usually without much too choose from. Polite enough but unless you buy the brands they normally carry they aren't any more knowledgeable than most big box store. Special order a gun and you are on your own.

ThomasT

I doubt I would ever buy a gun from Cabelas to start with. They are over the top expensive on every gun I have looked at to the point that on the rare occasions I go in the store I don't even bother to look in the gun case anymore.

I have bought several guns off GB and Auction Arms and of course no hands on inspection at all. And so far not a single bad deal. I have a new gun off GB that is supposed to be hear tomorrow matter of fact.

Cheapshooter

The only times I have bought guns from BPS, or Cabela's (Gander Mountain also. Before they were bought by an anti-hunting liberal snowflake) were with credit card rewards points and/or gift cards. From saving a couple hundred bucks to free. Something like seven or eight total from all three. All were brand new, and I didn't need to play with the triggers. Not an important thing in the least for me. I have such a varity of trigger types, and feels it isn't even that noticable to me when I am shooting. Most likely even less noticable if SD need arises. A few seconds, a few feet, and no time to assess how "sweet" a trigger is.

JDBerg

USNRet93: said:

Hey, based on your “Republic if Boulder (CO)” location, by any chance does this “...local little gun store” happen to be in Arvada, CO?