Trigger-Locked Guns at Cabelas

JDBerg

There was a nice BHP Mk II for sale in the Gun Library at one of the local Cabelas. The first time I saw the gun, I nicely asked the attendant if I could remove the lock to check the trigger and see whether the mag disconnect was still on the gun. The attendant advised me that the trigger locks stay on all the guns until they are sold.

I was told that there was an incident at one of their stores where a customer grabbed an unlocked gun and then loaded a round into the gun and committed suicide.

So now every Cabelas firearm in their stores has a trigger lock that stays with the gun until it’s sold. Cabelas employees are not permitted to remove the lock for any reason. You must buy the gun and then properly inspect the gun once you leave the store with the firearm and remove the lock.

When I first saw the BHP Mk II i thought that I woul’t buy a gun without first dry-firing it to check the trigger, and cycling the action by cocking & dropping the hammer, the typical GS tire-kicking routine.

So the 2nd time I went back to the store and I saw the gun again. I decided to argue for a discount since I couldn’t dry-fire the gun before I bought it, and therefore there was no way to properly inspect this used gun. So I was able to negotiate $75.00 off the $599.00 ticket price, and was given a 2-pronged key that unscrewed the lock into 2 pieces. I was told that I had to take the gun out of the store before I could remove the lock.

Turns out everything on this Mk II is intact, there is only minor holster wear on this gun, internally it doesn’t show wear. The mag disconnect is still on the gun and it has to come off to improve that SA trigger. So I got myself a nice Hi-Power Mk II shooter at a decent price.

I’m wondering how many people will buy firearms from Cabelas if they can’t first dry fire & cycle the gun they’re interested in?

Last edited:

fightthenoise01

I bought a mode 70 extreme weather and got the same explanation. Shot himself under the chin at the gun counter. Had to have made a hell of a mess. The clerk told me if I didn’t like the gun after I got it home and inspected it, they will process a full refund. They just have to raise hell to do it, but they will do it. The gun shoots great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dufus

I bought a pistol from Academy last year. No locks, but the associate told me if I pull the trigger, the transaction was over and he would put the gun away. He stated store policy.

NoSecondBest

Over the years I have had Cabela's take back several guns from me and give me a full refund. The reasons for asking for the refunds was acceptable to them and they did so with no argument at all. I have nothing negative to say about Cabela's refund or exchange policies. I've been doing business with them for over forty years.

FrankenMauser

I’m wondering how many people will buy firearms from Cabelas if they can’t first dry fire & cycle the gun they’re interested in?
I won't pay their ridiculous prices, anyway. Adding an additional level of irritation does not improve matters.

Spats McGee

Administrator
For the right price, I would. Then again, maybe I'm not picky enough about triggers, so long as they make the gun go bang.

NoSecondBest

You're kidding yourself it you think you're going to get a target grade trigger on an off the shelf gun to begin with. The trigger weights and smoothness are going to vary to a large degree. If you want the gun, buy it and then worry about the trigger. Any trigger can be improved upon after you get the gun.....if necessary. Spats McGee's response is about perfect regarding this subject. If you are picky, do a trigger job after you get it.

FrankenMauser

You're kidding yourself it you think you're going to get a target grade trigger on an off the shelf gun to begin with. The trigger weights and smoothness are going to vary to a large degree. If you want the gun, buy it and then worry about the trigger. Any trigger can be improved upon after you get the gun.....if necessary. Spats McGee's response is about perfect regarding this subject. If you are picky, do a trigger job after you get it.
Don't forget about checking to see if the handgun functions properly - if at all. Doing so requires operating the trigger.

Would you buy a double-action revolver if you couldn't access the trigger for inspection and function testing?...

Sharkbite

Would you buy a double-action revolver if you couldn't access the trigger for inspection and function testing?...

ABSOLUTELY not. Hammer push off, proper lock up, things like that must be inspected on a used revolver.

Cheapshooter

Over the years I have had Cabela's take back several guns from me and give me a full refund. The reasons for asking for the refunds was acceptable to them and they did so with no argument at all. I have nothing negative to say about Cabela's refund or exchange policies. I've been doing business with them for over forty years.
38 of which they were not owned by Bass Pro Shop owner Johnny Morris. New boss, new rules. Only the name remains to protect the investment.

NoSecondBest

38 of which they were not owned by Bass Pro Shop owner Johnny Morris. New boss, new rules. Only the name remains to protect the investment.
Please share your own personal experience with Cabela's regarding this issue? It's sad how people like to use the internet simply to post negative comments or get on a soap box to share their perception of a negative interaction with a company. If we all listened to this stuff and quit buying from each and every place someone complained about we wouldn't have anywhere left to shop. If someone were keeping a list I think every business out there would be on it by now.

RickB

Imagine a used car lot, with locks on the steering wheels of every car; you can remove the lock after you buy the car and tow it from the lot.

At the same time, you definitely do not usually get to "test drive" a gun before buying, so adjusting to including the quality of the trigger into a post-purchase test isn't a big deal, as long as the seller accepts "I don't like the trigger" as a legitimate reason to refund the purchase price and get a used gun in the process.

K_Mac

Many buy new and used guns using the internet. If the gun does not perform as sold, then there is a process that allows the problem be resolved. I have no problem with Cabela's policy. Like Spats I'm not too picky about triggers and have reasonable expectations when buying new or used. There are a couple of fairly local shops that I would not buy from because of their business practices regardless of price. I'm happy to have choices.

aarondhgraham

I ran into the same thing at Bass Pro in OK City,,,
Used revolver that I was interested in.

The clerk gave me the same spiel you got,,,
I just quietly asked for a manager and told him,,,
I have cash in hand but I won't consider a gun I can't check out.

The managers can do what they need to make a sale,,,
So he unlocked the trigger guard,,,
And let me check the gun.

All I had to do was be firm but polite.

Aarond

Cheapshooter

Please share your own personal experience with Cabela's
I have had excellent experiences with Cabela's. Not so much with BPS who now owns Cabela's. The joke when BPS bought them was "Now, they'll have to raise the prices, and remove some stock to be part of Bass Pro". Where I haven't seen it yet, there have been changes.

JDBerg

Some of us “Old” (pick one) a)”Timers” or b)”Farts” frankly don’t want to buy much of anything off the internet other than what we absolutely have to. I really need to check out a piece like this 30 year old BHP Mk II before I buy it. So I have trust issues to make certain I didn’t get burned with a pistol that was butchered by a dropout from the Acme Correspondence School of Gunsmithing, been fried before. I got lucky with this one!

TXAZ

I was at the Allen Texas Cabela's last summer, and had no problem handling numerous compact handguns and pulling most of the triggers. (Maybe it's different in Texas...?)

Bottom Gun

In my experience, triggers can vary greatly from one gun to the next even with the same model. If I buy one, I would want a trigger that is acceptable to me and not one that will simply make the gun function.
How do you examine a used revolver if you can’t access the trigger?
On that note, I wouldn’t buy one if I couldn’t test the trigger.

hornetguy

To TX AZ about the Allen Cabelas....

No...their policy has recently changed. I live about 5 minutes from that store, and was in it a couple of days ago. All triggers are locked, and they will not remove them. I got the same story about a customer doing the suicide thing at a BPS. No more trigger checking at Cabelas.
This is not a deal breaker for me... I simply wanted to try some triggers on a couple of different 9mm's....

Instead, I drove about 10 minutes to a local gun shop, tried out the ones I wanted, and ended up buying a use one from them.